Covid-19 = no food stalls=starving soi dogs - please help them!

Card

6 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

If the Thais were responsible, these dogs wouldn't be around. 

Wild packs of mongreals roaming the streets, get rid of them all, not  feed them.  

There's always one like you. Always. You could say the same about homeless people, and you probably do.

Edited by Card
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Card said:

Wild packs of mongreals roaming the streets, get rid of them all, not  feed them.

Especially the ones with motorbikes! but good idea to feed the soi dogs, they have little alternative.

9 minutes ago, jadee said:

What are you doing? Don't feed them! You're just making them dependent on you - then you can't stop feeding them until the pandemic ends and the food stalls come back! The most humane thing (and the best thing to do from a public health standpoint) is to put the dogs down/cull them. 

I'm split on this.. I know the long term goal should be sterilizing the dogs to stop the population growing, but for the dogs doing ok before this crisis (and I think many were, but honestly I'm not sure), it seems reasonable enough. I know sometimes street vendors basically adopt the dogs, but might have returned home or left town at this time.

21 minutes ago, sungod said:

Soi dogs/beach dogs are an issue, despite what people like soidog foundation say it makes no difference what they do, living in cloud cuckoo land. I've seen the dogs on wongamat beach multiply 4 times in 6 months, my oldest son does not want to run on the beach anymore as he is scared of the pack of dogs.

I have dogs of my own, but people who encourage strays are just plain nuts.

I know what you mean and have had similar experiences. But the ones I want to help are the friendly ones that have become dependent on food carts etc and readily coexist with humans. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Given the "friendly" dogs don't carry signs saying so, all stray dogs have to be treated as potentially dangerous and infected with rabies.

Of course, isn't that kinda obvious? There are many mammals hanging around that are potential reservoirs for rabies incl. rats, rabbits, mice, squirrels, even if cats and dogs are the most risky. Everyone should be vaccinated for rabies prevention in Thailand, especially beach lovers. As a beachlover exposed to beach dogs so should you - have you? I've had all my Verorab injections and if seriously exposed to another risk would get immunotherapy and a booster. I don't touch these dogs or feed them by hand.

Edited by Card

3 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

You are part of the problem, if you and people like you hadn't fed them in the first place the population wouldn't of got out of control and they wouldn't be starving now. You can help by get a meeting with Pattaya City Hall and ask them to take them away

I didn't start the dependency process. As you are the complainer it is your job to make your representations to city hall. Let us all know when you have done it.

Edited by Card

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

The food stalls are still operating all around my location, nothing has changed in our area. 

Good then don't go to the rescue. Some beach areas like Dongtan are denuded of all commercial activity leaving the dogs bereft.

Just now, Card said:

Good then don't go to the rescue. Some beach areas like Dongtan are denuded of all commercial activity leaving the dogs bereft.

I do feed soi dogs, despite the backlash I sometimes get from other farangs. I even have a bowl at the top of my drive that I keep topped up for the local mogs. It gets amusing when my own two dogs see others getting fed outside the boundary. 

39 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

I do feed soi dogs, despite the backlash I sometimes get from other farangs. I even have a bowl at the top of my drive that I keep topped up for the local mogs. It gets amusing when my own two dogs see others getting fed outside the boundary. 

Good, but keep your distance from rabid farangs. Don't feed 'em.

Edited by Card
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I am not as worried about rabid rabbits.

Over the years, I have come to recognize this "soft-heartedness" towards soi dogs as a form of narcissism and selfishness.

Playing Mother Teresa by providing cheap food to dogs is all very well, but the same dog you think is a lovely, friendly fellow could turn into an absolute terror when it comes across a child, or could end up causing a serious accident by chasing cyclists or darting into traffic.

There are already enough dumb and selfish Thais topping up their karma by feeding dogs. The last thing a country with active rabies needs is a load of unhinged farangs serving up even more cheap, nutrition-free carb slop.

By the way, any dog that survives its first week on the streets after abandonment has proved that it has a side that is far from sweet. Over half of them get ripped to shreds by the packs of dogs that already own that territory. To survive, these family pets have to get tough, and damn quick.

The whole situation is a nightmare that anyone who actually cares about animals should be appalled by, and not use it as a way to have pets without the costs or responsibilities.

Good post. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I am not as worried about rabid rabbits.

Over the years, I have come to recognize this "soft-heartedness" towards soi dogs as a form of narcissism and selfishness.

Playing Mother Teresa by providing cheap food to dogs is all very well, but the same dog you think is a lovely, friendly fellow could turn into an absolute terror when it comes across a child, or could end up causing a serious accident by chasing cyclists or darting into traffic.

There are already enough dumb and selfish Thais topping up their karma by feeding dogs. The last thing a country with active rabies needs is a load of unhinged farangs serving up even more cheap, nutrition-free carb slop.

By the way, any dog that survives its first week on the streets after abandonment has proved that it has a side that is far from sweet. Over half of them get ripped to shreds by the packs of dogs that already own that territory. To survive, these family pets have to get tough, and damn quick.

The whole situation is a nightmare that anyone who actually cares about animals should be appalled by, and not use it as a way to have pets without the costs or responsibilities.

So what are you going to do about it?

2 minutes ago, donnacha said:

I'm going to ask you to stop feeding them.

Won't work. A starving dog is more dangerous than a fed one. All those dangers you mention are accentuated by starvation. Rotting dead bodies are a source of disease and infection. I don't advocate feeding soi dogs under normal conditions unless it is necessary to prevent starvation.

Edited by Card

Yesterday I watched  Thai news  about  pets carrying the virus and according to them  cats and ferrets are the 2 highest risks,  amazingly (according to them) ferrets are the 3rd most popular Thai pet !!

They appealed to people not to abandon their pets on the streets but made no mention of the millions already wandering around ☹️

Round them up and put them in a pound for a short while..if a new owner wants to take one they can pay for vaccinations,sterilisation and chipping/tags    the rest humanely sent to the next life.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Card said:

Won't work. A starving dog is more dangerous than a fed one. All those dangers you mention are accentuated by starvation.

I'm not saying it is simple problem to solve, but you and all the other people feeding them are adding to and accentuating the problem.

I understand that it is entertaining and makes you feel good about yourself, but you have no idea what problems may be caused by the dogs you are "sponsoring". 

There needs to be a cull, and that is not your responsibility, but in the meantime you are literally fueling the problem. Fed dogs can cause plenty of problems.

• Like 2