Dook Ae Lizards

RusT

Does anyone know of an effective way to rid a house of "dook-ae" lizards? The obivous solution is to chase them out with a stick but a few of the critters have clearly taken up residence and will likely be back in no time.

I heard that putting mothballs around does the trick but I tried it with no success and besides I have a young baby in the house so have to be careful with such things.

Besides putting up screens (not an option for us) does anybody out there know of a harmless method of sending them on their way?

Would appreciate advice from anyone with "the knowledge".

Basically you either have to kill them, or pick them up and move them. You can’t just scare them away like a Ginkjo, Tokays when they are cornered, like to stand their ground. They can’t bite through a work glove, but you will find they do have a fair amount of jaw force. And they can hang on for quite a while. It is easy to get them to bite a glove or something, but then you still can’t carry them away because they hold to the wall. Mostly you will find that the place they hole up in is also pretty difficult to reach into. I find it is not really worth the effort. If you do actually get one in your hand, try not to restrain it by the tail, as it takes a long time for a new one to grow back.

It is a great deal of fun to show a Tockay around to your Thai neighbors, for some reason they are terrified of these things. Makes no sense to me, they are pretty harmless. They sell them in the pet stores in the west.

They are noisy, but they are good vermin control, and natural things are getting hard to find in this country. I prefer to leave them alone.

Does anyone know of an effective way to rid a house of "dook-ae" lizards? The obivous solution is to chase them out with a stick but a few of the critters have clearly taken up residence and will likely be back in no time.

I heard that putting mothballs around does the trick but I tried it with no success and besides I have a young baby in the house so have to be careful with such things.

Besides putting up screens (not an option for us) does anybody out there know of a harmless method of sending them on their way?

Would appreciate advice from anyone with "the knowledge".

Buy a cat.

Gone in two days. jing ๆๆ

Soundman.

Edited by soundman

Thanks guys. I agree that Dook-ae's do no harm and generally do their best to keep out of the way hence my reluctance to do anything drastic ie. the Thai method of killing them on sight. I would just prefer them to take up residence elsewhere but we all seem to be living togehter well enough (apart from the noise) and respecting each others space so it's no big deal.

Do dook-ae's eat jingjoes? Noticed we have much less of them lately.

The more I'm thinking about it the more it makes sense to have a cat. We also get rats from time to time as well.