Phuket Governor bans sale of alcohol ‘until further notice’

rooster59

Phuket Governor bans sale of alcohol ‘until further notice’

By The Phuket News

1586528108_1-org.jpg

The official notice posted tonight (Apr 10). Image: PR Dept

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana has ordered a ban on the sale of alcohol in Phuket. The order comes into effect at 00:01am April 11 and will remain in effect until further notice.

The order came today at the daily meeting of the Phuket Communicable Disease Committee.

The order was publicly posted on the official Facebook page of the Phuket office of the Public Relations Department at 8:41pm tonight (see here.)

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-bans-sale-of-alcohol-until-further-notice-75667.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-04-11

34 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Probably find that as usual your local Ma & Pa shop will step up to the plate ????

Many are choosing not to do so because of the hefty fine if caught selling

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, MobileContent said:

Mrs just bought 8 boxes of Chang, Leo and Whiskey. We are based in Udon and a high ranking official told her that the ban will be announced nationwide of alcohol including a 100,000 fine for any shop that violates the rules.

This will go the way of the 100,000 baht fine to smoke on beaches.

As the wholesalers stop delivering Mom and Pop wont have any in stock anyway after the panic buying. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Canuck1966 said:

Don't drink them all at once

You have enough for a thimble full twice a day

On average I drink a bottle of beer a week or so, so I'm ok for a couple of weeks.

• Haha 1

I thought it was a bit cowardly to announce this just over an hour before the curfew. It seems to be the way of the Gov's announcements at the moment though.

Anyone who didn't see this coming would have to be a bit dim to be honest. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, smedly said:

throwing out orders without any explanation why - seems more like a childish power trip as they can't explain why they are doing it 

I think everything they announce is part of a power trip. The military-backed Government are in their element and their appointed unelected Governors are happy to go along with even more draconian measures, many trying to outdo the others, yet at the same time certain provinces still operate with practically no restrictions whatsoever?

1 hour ago, madmitch said:

I think everything they announce is part of a power trip. The military-backed Government are in their element and their appointed unelected Governors are happy to go along with even more draconian measures, many trying to outdo the others, yet at the same time certain provinces still operate with practically no restrictions whatsoever?

I was talking to Mrs. SP and her explanation was that the governors can't lose face against other governors.

This little governor guy has went way over his fatheaded line. I guess he thinks a statue will be erected for him as the inspiration and savior for Phuket, but just the contrary he should be held responsible for his ineptness and disregard for human beings civil rights to chose and govern themselves. Let the police deal with the law breakers.. I will be laughing when this backfires on him and he runs with his tail between his legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Many are choosing not to do so because of the hefty fine if caught selling

They are selling, but only for people they knowing very well. Its here in Bangkok same situation. Some shops were even checked by the police and can not offer alcohol inside fridge or inside store. But u can go backdoors, and if the owner knows you, no problem to buy anything. Where i live we have about 8 small stores in between 400 meters, everybody knows me and my wife very well so i dont worry. 

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

My wife just bought 2 beers from the local shop, also they stopped selling now.

My wife is bringing me daily 4 to 6 beers when she returns home afternoon. Still yesterday, today and tomorrow and all the other days. My family and i drinking at home when we have our dinner together.   

13 minutes ago, Fatman666 said:

My wife is bringing me daily 4 to 6 beers when she returns home afternoon. Still yesterday, today and tomorrow and all the other days. My family and i drinking at home when we have our dinner together.   

And that is where on Phuket?

• Haha 1

Just now, stevenl said:

And that is where on Phuket?

I dont know in Phuket. U can try any small mama shop. But if they dont know you, probably they will not sell. Some worry of heavy penalties, some dont care. I live here in Bangkok little bit outside of center wheres a hotspot for locals mostly from Issan who working here. So everything is available, but these days only backdoors.