UK Passport renewal

2 minutes ago, Saltire said:

It seems an agent is not a good choice due to not being able to find one in my area after asking around in local FB groups). Besides I have reservations about posting my passport anywhere. The only agents I have ever seen in my IO are those who deal with migrant workers (I live an hour from the Myanmar border).

I have concluded therefore an agent is not posible, i'd have to go almost to Bangkok anyway to find one, which is kind of pointless.

If you don't want to travel (twice) to Bangkok then using an agent is a VERY good idea. It is only not possible if YOU choose for it not to be.

No issue in using EMS for posting your passport.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, transam said:

Key visa does it ALL by post from wherever you live in Thailand by recorded delivery.......

You send by recorded, they return by recorded...

The OP would have to travel to Trendy to collect his new passport (and produce his old passport as proof of ID). Key Visa will definitely NOT be able to collect it on the OP's behalf then post it to him. Go ask Darren at Key Visa.

Those rules were in place as of February 2020, two months ago.

Just now, john terry1001 said:

The OP would have to travel to Trendy to collect his new passport (and produce his old passport as proof of ID). Key Visa will definitely NOT be able to collect it on the OP's behalf then post it to him. Go ask Darren at Key Visa.

Those rules were in place as of February 2020, two months ago.

Then that is new.....I will get back to you on that.....????

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

And, in the case of the Bangkok embassy of practically every other country on this great planet of ours, this is still possible, I believe!

None of whom have 1000+ people queueing from 4am every morning as happened when Ppts & visas were all under one roof in wireless road at a time when two wars were raging elsewhere & the losing side were looking for easy targets...

On 4/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, Rookiescot said:

OK another option is a bit extreme.

Fill out the passport renewal for for applying for a new passport in the UK. (Please note there are two forms. One for applying within the UK and one for applying from outside the UK. Make sure you fill out the right one).

Send the form and your passport to someone you know in the UK and get them to send it to the passport office.

When the new passport arrives get them to send it and the old passport back to you.

1.Couple of obvious problems with this. Stuff does go missing in the post.

2.I'm not sure if the above is legal.

And there will be no entry stamp in the new passport.

20 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

The 5K includes the cost of collecting the passport from Trendy (read the passage you quoted) The only extra cost is 100 Baht EMS fee if you want the passport sent to you.

Darren's website is not accurate, ask him. A friend who uses Key Visa on occasions for various translations etc. used them two months ago for document translations when applying for his two children's passport renewals. I actually signed their applications to confirm who they were. He had to go to Trendy to collect their new passports and present the old one's to have the corner cut off. He asked if the new passports could be posted to to him and was told definitely not, he must come in person. This was less than two months ago.

Incidentally, He/his wife was also applying for a tourist visa to the UK at the same time. He was able to have her Thai passport (with the visa) sent to their home by post but not their children's UK passports. 

46 minutes ago, ThaidDown said:

Using an authorised agent requires no trips to Trendy.

Nor does applying via a 3rd party (family member at a UK billing address?) as per the general population/normal UK price or asking for a 2nd passport via the same route, enabling his current ppt to remain valid & in his possession until it expires.

Ok here is my cost estimate for a personal trip to Trendy for the wife and I.

Minvan 3 hours 130 Baht x 4 (me and the wife return) Total 520 Baht

Minivan 3.5 hours 140 Baht x 4 (me and the wife return) Total 560 Baht

Taxi from MoChit/Hotel 200 Baht x 2 Total 400 Baht

Hotel near Trendy 2 nights x 1000 Baht Total 2000 Baht

Eating out, a few drinks etc, taxi Total 3000 Baht

So each trip is about 6480 Baht and pretty sure i'd need 2 trips.

I could save a few bob if I take my car but gas may be not that much cheaper.

Also the agency being being recommended are not an option as 1 year ago they messed up my mate's wedding arrangements big time, he had to stay in Thailand another week, find a Bangkok agent (had to change from wedding in Pattaya) and pay for flight changes. I was with him through the whole process, not just hearsay.

As I said posting passports has never been a favourite of mine but thanks for the suggestions.

55 minutes ago, john terry1001 said:

The OP has said trips to Trendy to renew his passport would cost an extra 5k baht in total. Using an agent who would do all the donkey work for the OP charges guess what...........5k baht. And he would still have the additional cost of one trip to Trendy to collect his new passport. I'm glad I didn't learn your simple mathematics ????.

Required no trips to BKK agent does it all including picking up passport.

So I guess you haven't done your homework.

Guy unused was 4 k by the way and well respected.

I had zero need to go to BKK all was done by him including picking up new passport as he had a full written letter giving him my power of attorney.

So please do homework before trying to pull other people's posts down.

4k  would have easily doubled that and more with flights and hotel and food so yes my mathematics are correct

9 minutes ago, fourpack said:

Required no trips to BKK agent does it all including picking up passport.

So I guess you haven't done your homework.

Guy unused was 4 k by the way and well respected.

I had zero need to go to BKK all was done by him including picking up new passport as he had a full written letter giving him my power of attorney.

So please do homework before trying to pull other people's posts down.

4k  would have easily doubled that and more with flights and hotel and food so yes my mathematics are correct

I most definitely have done my homework. See post 68.

To add to that, my mate and I played particular attention to the system and current rules, not just for his families applications, but also because we both need to renew our own passports in the next year or so. We asked all the questions needed to confirm exactly what we would need to do in a few months time.

My passport expires in March 2021 but my extension expires two months earlier in February so I will need to renew mine by about November this year to have everything in place.

So I know everything I've posted is 100% accurate as of February 2020  and most of the time since then has been covered by the Covid 19 lockdowns and office/system closures since then. 

Out of interest, when did you actually renew your UK passport using Key Visa? Could it be before Trendy took over the current system?

19 hours ago, john terry1001 said:

Darren's website is not accurate, ask him.

As is not the GOV.UK one either - which still states explicitly and categorically that, if you're unable to collect your passport in person, "someone else can go on your behalf":-

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/renew/adult

But at least those incompetent clowns at HMPO have finally got round to informing us on that site that the passport renewal service is no longer available from Thailand until God knows when!

20 hours ago, Saltire said:

IS THERE a chance my extension application could be rejected completely and they insist on a new passport? This would put me into panic mode.

Unlikely, I would have thought - your local immigration office should give you an extension up until the expiry date of your current passport in August 2021 without question. But you might like to double-check this point with them for the sake of peace of mind?

Indeed, in days long gone by, you would have been able to return to your local immigration office in due course clutching your new passport and they would have stamped you for the remaining 3 months until November 2021. But no longer, I fear: instead a completely fresh annual extension of stay application would now, in your case, be the strict order of the day from August 2021. Fingers firmly crossed for your sake that HMPO will have seen fit to have reinstated the passport renewal service from Thailand by then!

19 hours ago, evadgib said:

None of whom have 1000+ people queueing from 4am every morning as happened when Ppts & visas were all under one roof in wireless road at a time when two wars were raging elsewhere & the losing side were looking for easy targets...

Bet the American Embassy at least did, though!

18 minutes ago, OJAS said:

Unlikely, I would have thought - your local immigration office should give you an extension up until the expiry date of your current passport in August 2021 without question. But you might like to double-check this point with them for the sake of peace of mind?

Indeed, in days long gone by, you would have been able to return to your local immigration office in due course clutching your new passport and they would have stamped you for the remaining 3 months until November 2021. But no longer, I fear: instead a completely fresh annual extension of stay application would now, in your case, be the strict order of the day from August 2021. Fingers firmly crossed for your sake that HMPO will have seen fit to have reinstated the passport renewal service from Thailand by then!

Thanks, I will call them nearer the time. They are ususally very helpful.

I guess it's just a waiting game for now.

On 4/11/2020 at 12:49 PM, Rookiescot said:

OK another option is a bit extreme.

Fill out the passport renewal for for applying for a new passport in the UK. (Please note there are two forms. One for applying within the UK and one for applying from outside the UK. Make sure you fill out the right one).

Send the form and your passport to someone you know in the UK and get them to send it to the passport office.

When the new passport arrives get them to send it and the old passport back to you.

1.Couple of obvious problems with this. Stuff does go missing in the post.

2.I'm not sure if the above is legal.

19 hours ago, kratiam said:

And there will be no entry stamp in the new passport.

Not to mention that you could find yourself in particularly deep, deep doo-dah should your existing passport go astray en route to the UK. In this connection I distinctly recall @Jip99 posting on here a while ago a stark warning from HMPO as to the potentially dire consequences of such a course of action.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

But at least those incompetent clowns at HMPO have finally got round to informing us on that site that the passport renewal service is no longer available from Thailand until God knows when!

So there is no passport service from Thailand and VFS are shut.

What about the probably hundreds of passport renewals that have been submitted to VFS, but the new passports are yet to arrive back. I know of 6 people waiting new passports, one of which expires this week. The person concerned will therefore be illegally in Thailand with no valid visa.

With the British Embassy remaining open, it would surely be simple for HMPO to send completed pasports to the Embassy, or better still courier them direct to the passport holder instead of to VFS as usual, just as was done in the past when applications were submitted to Hong Kong. But HMPO rejected that idea when I put it to them. perhaps because they didn't think of it first!!!!!!!

5 minutes ago, prakhonchai nick said:

So there is no passport service from Thailand and VFS are shut.

What about the probably hundreds of passport renewals that have been submitted to VFS, but the new passports are yet to arrive back. I know of 6 people waiting new passports, one of which expires this week. The person concerned will therefore be illegally in Thailand with no valid visa.

With the British Embassy remaining open, it would surely be simple for HMPO to send completed pasports to the Embassy, or better still courier them direct to the passport holder instead of to VFS as usual, just as was done in the past when applications were submitted to Hong Kong. But HMPO rejected that idea when I put it to them. perhaps because they didn't think of it first!!!!!!!

Good point, and the longer this goes on, the larger the backlog at VFS is likely to be.

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

Not to mention that you could find yourself in particularly deep, deep doo-dah should your existing passport go astray en route to the UK. In this connection I distinctly recall @Jip99 posting on here a while ago a stark warning from HMPO as to the potentially dire consequences of such a course of action.

Confirmed.

I seem to think that HMPO focused on the fact that you would be making a false declaration....... plus the risks of the passport going astray.

On 4/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, Saltire said:

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like VFS when they open is the best bet. Fortunately I have time between now and extension renewal to see how things calm down, or don't.

I will look for an agent and see what turns up. I was under the impression VFS would need two trips but I am told they have an option to return your new passport by FedEx/DHL?

Here's hoping things improve soon.

YOU HAVE TO COLLECT NEW PASSPORT....as one has to sign for it....they WILL NOT POST....

14 minutes ago, essox essox said:

YOU HAVE TO COLLECT NEW PASSPORT....as one has to sign for it....they WILL NOT POST....

Correct.......they will not post. You also have to present your old passport for cancellation before they will hand over the new passport.

On 4/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, john terry1001 said:

I most definitely have done my homework. See post 68.

To add to that, my mate and I played particular attention to the system and current rules, not just for his families applications, but also because we both need to renew our own passports in the next year or so. We asked all the questions needed to confirm exactly what we would need to do in a few months time.

My passport expires in March 2021 but my extension expires two months earlier in February so I will need to renew mine by about November this year to have everything in place.

So I know everything I've posted is 100% accurate as of February 2020  and most of the time since then has been covered by the Covid 19 lockdowns and office/system closures since then. 

Out of interest, when did you actually renew your UK passport using Key Visa? Could it be before Trendy took over the current system?

Never used key Viss use a trusted and well known guy on FB. 

And I did mine last Nov a mate did his 2 months ago same no trips to BKK so you haven't done your homework.

12 hours ago, essox essox said:

Just had a reply from Key Services, they STILL do the complete postal service, they collect PP.

I forgot to ask about if renewal is still possible at this time, have sent another email, will let you know the situation...

On 4/11/2020 at 1:40 PM, Saltire said:

Thanks for the replies.

Looks like VFS when they open is the best bet. Fortunately I have time between now and extension renewal to see how things calm down, or don't.

I will look for an agent and see what turns up. I was under the impression VFS would need two trips but I am told they have an option to return your new passport by FedEx/DHL?

Here's hoping things improve soon.

I have said many times VFS WILL NOT post new passports to the applicants.

One has to go and collect, as one has to sign for new passport.

You have to make an appointment to collect passport....DO YOU ALL UNDERSTAND ??

2 minutes ago, essox essox said:

I have said many times VFS WILL NOT post new passports to the applicants.

One has to go and collect, as one has to sign for new passport.

You have to make an appointment to collect passport....DO YOU ALL UNDERSTAND ??

Yep, my previous posts said I will go to BKK/VFS twice.

I also said not interested in posting anything or using an agent. I will either go home or go to vfs when the fog clears.

My original post was based on which option was the riskiest, flying to the UK or 2 trips to Bangkok.

Cost is not a factor, being infected is as while resonably healthy I am 65 and very much in the 'vulnerable' group.

Need to be patient.

Thanks

4 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Yep, my previous posts said I will go to BKK/VFS twice.

I also said not interested in posting anything or using an agent. I will either go home or go to vfs when the fog clears.

My original post was based on which option was the riskiest, flying to the UK or 2 trips to Bangkok.

Cost is not a factor, being infected is as while resonably healthy I am 65 and very much in the 'vulnerable' group.

Need to be patient.

Thanks

i went twice....once to take the required documentation.....second time TO COLLECT new passport (it take 3 weeks for mine to arrive). SIGNED for new passport and was out of office....VFS will give you an appointment time to collect new passport....I think office closes at 3.30pm everyday !!

1 minute ago, essox essox said:

i went twice....once to take the required documentation.....second time TO COLLECT new passport (it take 3 weeks for mine to arrive). SIGNED for new passport and was out of office....VFS will give you an appointment time to collect new passport....I think office closes at 3.30pm everyday !!

Thanks

Can you walk in with your apllication documents or do you need an appointment for that too?

13 hours ago, fourpack said:

Never used key Viss use a trusted and well known guy on FB. 

And I did mine last Nov a mate did his 2 months ago same no trips to BKK so you haven't done your homework.

But I'm talking about doing everything legally, you obviously are not. Gov.co.uk says passports must be collected in person, as does the Trendy office, the British Embassy plus various people here who've used the correct process (including my mate). I've also contacted gov.co.uk and Trendy to ask exactly what the current process entails. 

While you've used a 'trusted guy' on of all things FACEBOOK, the biggest Bu*******ING social media platform on earth. If he was, and what he does, was legal he wouldn't be using Facebook, he would have a legitimate company and office.

I know who I'd prefer to believe. ????

Archived