The week that was in Thailand news: "Daddy, I want another Leo!" - Thailand in Phoney War as we hunker down for Songkran

rooster59

Interesting reading everyone regarding the opinions on smoking, drinking, banning this and that etc. Which are personal choices and we live with the repercussions of those actions and habits. When it comes to the well being of the entire population here we all know how horrid the air quality is and it's a major factor in aggravating respiratory issues for folks with existing conditions or just overall health for the masses. Walking around wheezing and sneezing and coughing up who knows what isn't normal. If the government was truly concerned for the health of it's citizens it could and would stop the violators overnight ! We now know the public can be easily manipulated over the threat of a sniffle from the Corona monster but why aren't people doing anything about the air quality?

The rampant and unnessary burning needs to stop. 

Happy Songkran ...prayed for rain today and it came. Douse the flames for now and of course the government will take credit for "ordering" the rain to appear ! 

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, PaDavid said:

What pandemic? What alcohol ban? Daily tots of lao kao before, after, or for breakfast continue unabated. Life in my village carries on much as it has for the past 5 years, which is as far back as I can vouch for. Most people here work on the land and keep themselves covered up better than a muslim lady in a niqab, so face masks are pretty much redundant And, one stands a greater chance of contacting Dengue Fever than Covid-19. 

gloating comes to mind

On ‎4‎/‎12‎/‎2020 at 9:29 AM, PaDavid said:

What pandemic? What alcohol ban? Daily tots of lao kao before, after, or for breakfast continue unabated. Life in my village carries on much as it has for the past 5 years, which is as far back as I can vouch for. Most people here work on the land and keep themselves covered up better than a muslim lady in a niqab, so face masks are pretty much redundant And, one stands a greater chance of contacting Dengue Fever than Covid-19. 

2 hours ago, car720 said:

Long before Orwell there was 'Metropolis'.  We can all line up like good little robots.

Agreed. I personally feel more secure when somebody tells me what to do every day about everything. That way whatever happens is not my fault. Relieves me of any personal responsibility and I feel safer running with the herd. 

1 hour ago, car720 said:

I like this guy.

I'm thrilled to hear that; I feel better when the whole herd agrees on things. I try to avoid thinking for myself. It hurts my head and I risk being rejected by the herd. Then where would I be? Do you agree? 

I don't really know much about anything but don't really care to. If I start thinking too much I get confused so am careful to fill silence with earbuds and music, as long as it's currently popular. 

I watch TV shows and advertising closely to gain insight into what to say, what to do, and how to dress and style my hair properly. I get my political leanings from Fox news because it is the most popular news outlet and I especially like Sean Hannity's condescending smirk. I think most people like him too. What do you think? 

I use lots of deodorizer, mouthwash, breath mints, and body scents to ensure that I don't offend anybody around me even though they are strangers. I tend to buy products of all types based on their popularity with the herd and if they are celebrity endorsed that counts for a lot. I never express opinions unless others in the crowd have vetted them for me. I ALWAYS carry an expensive smart phone but don't really know much about it. I only use it for social media, games, music, and streaming shows on YouTube. You watch YouTube don't you? 

More than anything in the world I want to be normal. So far it's paid off as I'm almost invisible and indistinguishable in a crowd of three or more. 

I'm not really worried about this whole virus thingie. I'm confident I am protected by the herd immunity. 

I am aren't I? What do you think? 

• Haha 1

The OP writes the Phoney War as lasting from Sep. 3, 1939 (when France and England declared war on Germany) to May 10, 1940, when Germany invaded France and the low countries. However I wouldn't call the destruction of Poland (Sept and much of Oct. 1939) or the invasion of Norway (April 1940), and England's response, a phoney war. So rather than an 8-month lull, it was about a 5-month lull during winter, hardly a good time to launch new hostilities. Just FYI.