Thailand cannot lower its guard despite declining Covid-19 trend

webfact

In my opinion, Thailand has a much, much higher infection rate then is being reported, probably in the hundreds of thousands, as well as a bunch of other countries who are also not capable of testing in really large numbers. The odd thing about it is that their death and hospitalization rates seem extraordinarily low. Deaths can be hidden and faked to a point but massive deaths would be extremely difficult to hide and hospitalizations would be impossible to hide. Are we to believe that Thai's are so tough that they can take on a serious illness and not go to the hospital? I understand Thai's may not like going to the hospital but if you have to go to save your life you have to go. With all of the folks going to the hospital in nearly every other country are we also to believe that those folks in other countries are just plain weaker than Thai's? I seriously doubt it is Thai toughness that is doing it but there, obviously, is something going on here that is preventing people here from going critical with this virus that should be studied more closely. The infection rate in Thailand is most likely astronomical given the conditions of travel at the beginning of this pandemic but hospitals are no where near being overrun and deaths appear to be quite low. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

In my opinion, Thailand has a much, much higher infection rate then is being reported, probably in the hundreds of thousands, as well as a bunch of other countries who are also not capable of testing in really large numbers. The odd thing about it is that their death and hospitalization rates seem extraordinarily low. Deaths can be hidden and faked to a point but massive deaths would be extremely difficult to hide and hospitalizations would be impossible to hide. Are we to believe that Thai's are so tough that they can take on a serious illness and not go to the hospital? I understand Thai's may not like going to the hospital but if you have to go to save your life you have to go. With all of the folks going to the hospital in nearly every other country are we also to believe that those folks in other countries are just plain weaker than Thai's? I seriously doubt it is Thai toughness that is doing it but there, obviously, is something going on here that is preventing people here from going critical with this virus that should be studied more closely. The infection rate in Thailand is most likely astronomical given the conditions of travel at the beginning of this pandemic but hospitals are no where near being overrun and deaths appear to be quite low. 

It’s the som tam and rotten fish sauce they use to make it !

If you can survive some of the stuff I see my wife using that her mum sends her then I’m pretty sure you can survive any virus !! ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, runamok27 said:

Are we to believe that Thai's are so tough that they can take on a serious illness and not go to the hospital? 

In my MILs village pretty usual to tough it out. Over the decade or so it's been a few preventable deaths every year. Mostly undiagnosed hypertension, assorted infections and liver cirrocis, from what I've surmised from the symptoms they died of.

14 hours ago, Olmate said:

Guess your not from Australia then

Seems to be working for them too, at this stage. It's better to be overly cautious at this stage - look what happned in the US and Europe. They didn't take it seriously until the spread took root. Some US states have still not taken it seriously. 

Edited by DavisH

All that talk here about the number of infections being 100's if not 1000's of times higher than the official numbers : Go to a nearby hospital, have a look, do you see tents, overcrowded place, coolers with bodies ?

Check the social media in Thai, do you see large numbers of people dying, villages empty with crying people, bodies on the streets ?

Exactly, the numbers are never correct because we can't test everyone, but the numbers are surely indicative of the current situation which is pretty rosy compared to Europe and the US. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, WhatsNext said:

All that talk here about the number of infections being 100's if not 1000's of times higher than the official numbers : Go to a nearby hospital, have a look, do you see tents, overcrowded place, coolers with bodies ?

Check the social media in Thai, do you see large numbers of people dying, villages empty with crying people, bodies on the streets ?

Exactly, the numbers are never correct because we can't test everyone, but the numbers are surely indicative of the current situation which is pretty rosy compared to Europe and the US. 

Stop your BS, nobody is dying anywhere and hospitals are not overcrowded AT ALL.

You really believe that with 50 millions smartphone everywhere we would not know the truth ?

funny people !

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, ReLo said:

Stop your BS, nobody is dying anywhere and hospitals are not overcrowded AT ALL.

You really believe that with 50 millions smartphone everywhere we would not know the truth ?

funny people !

Ummm some problem with my wording maybe ? I mean exactly what you are writing ! 555

( this is a nice way of saying : can't you read ! )

Edited by WhatsNext

On 4/13/2020 at 7:25 AM, bkk_mike said:

The wearing of masks means that asymptomatic/presymptomatic people aren't breathing out virus on others - which is the main reason this virus has spread so much more widely than 2002 SARS which was only contagious if you were showing symptoms.

The virus probably doesn't cope well outside in Thailand (because of the combination of heat and humidity - and UV from the sun), so if people aren't going into air-conditioned offices / shopping malls and aren't travelling together without masks in buses or the BTS or metro in Bangkok, and aren't eating in indoor restaurants or going to boxing matches indoors, where exactly is the mass spread that would raise the numbers going to happen?

You can hide (or miss) infected people by not doing mass testing. But you can't hide a large increase in dead bodies - so something is working here that isn't working in Europe or the USA.

Mask are working here, most people outside Asia don't believe in mask 

According to the last Royal Thai Police Directive/October 2019.  The 800k can be made up as a 'combo' of the minimum 400k you have to keep in Thai Bank now account plus 'Pension Pending' with proof.  Like 'combo' before but now with no Embassy letter, proof from Official letters enough.  I never see this mentioned on Ret Extension topics though ?

Thai Immi 11 pages longstay details Oct 2019.pdf