Thais in Pattaya forced to sell belongings to buy food

webfact

13 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Very much so... my Mrs watching Thai TV last night showing the large queues at gold shops as what I presume are actually wealthier locals, were selling off their jewelry. 

Many do not have it to sell. 

If I had a choice letting go of my gold will be the absolute last thing I’d sell . It will be the only thing worth anything when all our cash is worthless . 

17 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

If I had a choice letting go of my gold will be the absolute last thing I’d sell . It will be the only thing worth anything when all our cash is worthless . 

I'd prefer to keep sacks of rice.

They store well for a long time, and you can eat them if you're hungry.

Can't see starving people having much use for gold.

OK so the rice is a bit bulky to store.

Just now, BritManToo said:

The pawn shops much prefer gold to rice.....

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

True . Most rural Thais can grow their own quite easily though . They are also masters at scavenging for anything edible .  

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 11:46 AM, ezzra said:

Sadly and unfortunately this is the new norm now, some will suffer a hell of a lot then others, good to see that people are choosing to sell their possessions rather than resorting to criminal acts...

Criminal acts soon to follow!  What happens when the cash from the sale of possessions is gone and the addicts no longer have the cash for their daily fix?

8 hours ago, androokery said:

I know nothing about you except what you’re stating here. And I have two comments. 

1. Those who live in glass houses should work on their spelling too.

2. If you live on the business you describe here you are the very definition of a parasite. You can be an “astute businessman” and a parasite at the same time, the terms are not mutually exclusive. 

What renting out properties is now seen as being a parasite !?!?  Lol. What a Bertie Blunt you are.

• Haha 1

It's not just the Thais that are selling their belongings.  Some oil and gas working Farang can't get back to work, selling his 3 year old Pajero Sport.  Dropped from 950k to 875,000Bt. Chatted with him on LINE got him down to 800,000Bt quite easily.  Put my money back in my pocket, things will get much worse in the next few months.  I ll wait be a lot of these guys losing their jobs.  No rush.

• Sad 1

Wait wait, it must be coming...

All these ads about Mercedes Benz for sale in Phuket town... To feed the hungry people.

Tomorrow I think....

Have all the Mercedes Benz already been sold in Pattaya...

Edited by Andre0720
Adeed text...
  • Haha 1

On 4/13/2020 at 9:07 PM, rvaviator said:

Unfortunately that is not happening ..... My GF know several small street vendors who have not received anything. some have now been told that they do not qualify as they have a 'business' .. i.e. a cart selling noodles ....  

I fully appreciate it's not happening. Neither my girlfriend, nor any of her family, friends, or anyone else we know, apart from one person, have received any money. Furthermore, I am informed today, that the payment will only be for 1 month, because Prayut hasn't got enough money.  The whole thing seems to have been a disgraceful con trick. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Kerryd said:

(When I was in Kabul, the first winter - 03/04 - wasn't bad. The next year - 04/05 - we had a whack of snow. You'd see lines of women in blue burqas lining up in 3 feet of snow at the bread lines, hoping to get enough to feed their families for another day. People living in the corner of bombed out homes, scrounging for twigs and scraps of wood to try and keep warm and cook some food. Thousands were dying due to starvation and exposure every month.)

Let's hope this crisis gets resolved before any of that starts happening here.

Yeah if it's starts snowing I'm outta here!

Edited by DrTuner
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Bangkokazy said:

I laugh all day and feed the little birds in the garden
and laughing at them hungry Thai outside the wall.

006_CLARK_Outside_The_Wall.jpg

Hi there, any chance of a meet up, I'd like to give you a right good kicking.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2020 at 8:17 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Free rice for the poor in Vietnam, nice to see the government providing for those in need.

image.png

That is a fantastic idea, but when i first heard of this i knew it couldn't work here, if its free then it would be emptied by the first person, if no control was put in place.

On 4/14/2020 at 3:37 PM, 473geo said:

Why do you think Europe is looking to relax things a little already, they will not be oblivious to timescales involved regarding economic viability. Instances such as this are more likely to weigh on the side of lifting stringent controls than keeping them in place

Do you have evidences to back your claims? My brother is a pilot so if this happen i will know it for sure

3 hours ago, bodymassagemyfriend said:

Do you have evidences to back your claims? My brother is a pilot so if this happen i will know it for sure

Reported in the press Austria, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain all looking to relax lock downs

1 hour ago, 473geo said:

Reported in the press Austria, Germany, Denmark, Italy, Spain all looking to relax lock downs

Similar to Australia, possibly in 4 weeks, but border restriction for O/seas travel more than likely to remain for some time.

8 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Similar to Australia, possibly in 4 weeks, but border restriction for O/seas travel more than likely to remain for some time.

If movement within countries returns, with minimal effect, then movement between countries, perhaps with testing/screening prior to travel becomes a reasonable possibility 

27 minutes ago, 473geo said:

If movement within countries returns, with minimal effect, then movement between countries, perhaps with testing/screening prior to travel becomes a reasonable possibility 

Also need to not sell middle seat in economy due to "social distancing" which will be the expected from here on in until a vaccine. I doubt international travel except for very specific reasons to certain countries will begin for some time to come.

Screening will become like security checks from here on in

On 4/15/2020 at 2:53 PM, Sid Vicious said:

Hi there, any chance of a meet up, I'd like to give you a right good kicking.

Hey you. I have time to meet you only in the evening

Edited by Bangkokazy
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2020 at 12:14 AM, Bangkokazy said:

I laugh all day and feed the little birds in the garden
and laughing at them hungry Thai outside the wall.

006_CLARK_Outside_The_Wall.jpg

Yep, please do keep laughing and keep a copy of your lovely post printed in colour and framed on your wall - I am 100% sure, the day will come that you will not be able sit comfortably... then have a look at you 'framed picture' and try to laugh. If possible, let us know how the fun is!