Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Thais in Pattaya forced to sell belongings to buy food

webfact

5 hours ago, mikosan said:

Quite the opposite, actually.  The 5000 baht is intended for those who DON'T have payslips. Itinerant workers and the like.

Unfortunately that is not happening ..... My GF know several small street vendors who have not received anything. some have now been told that they do not qualify as they have a 'business' .. i.e. a cart selling noodles ....  

IMHO , this was a accident waiting to happen . Most Thais live from hand to mouth , and if they got 1B more they spend it on lottery , booze and drugs . That 1 B also goes to payback of all sorts of loans of 1 or another . Never any sort of saving , while it was possible when they did have work . Sure the numbers weren't to go big but every Baht in the bank gives you a bit of reserve for when it does go bad . When they would have a couple of 1000 in the bank , they could still have their food , still struggling and prob still going to be in trouble since this is gonna take too long , but they certainly would be better off .

Problem i see in the longer run is that prob Farang are gonna be blamed and going to be in bad weather . Let's hope it doesn't happen , i do not talk about some facebook posts , but real crimes/aggression  , since if that happens , it is not going to be good for get the tourists back if they can come back .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacob29 said:

That would render the current lockdown completely pointless. Why would they just open up and rapidly ensure another lockdown is required?

They can't effectively test on arrival, as there are too many logistical issues sending someone back home. Never mind the tests aren't 100%, and if one person on the flight was infected, safe to assume others on the plane got infected as well. Then anyone who comes here, will almost certainly have to quarantine when getting back home. That largely eliminates your two week tourist, as they won't have another 2 weeks to quarantine when they get home.

The only way people are coming back in July, is if the lockdown is deemed impossible to maintain, and they're prepared to wear the human cost of infections climbing. Which fails by way of no longer being a 'safe' holiday destination. I see no easy way out of this.

Well, that depends why you are having a lock down. You do see that countries in Europe as losing the restrictions again as well right, or having none (Sweden).

If you want Covid-19 to disappear, that you need a total lock down, and keep your border close. You will need to keep the border close virtually until a vaccine is there, or the virus has diminished outside your border aswell. 

What many European countries are doing, is flatten the curve. Simply meaning, keeping the ICU from overflowing while the virus is spreading. In this scenario, the virus is still spreading. 

Thailand will 100% use a European model. It simply cannot sustain a complete lock down like China had in Wuhan. 

I don't believe the current lock down will be for "nothing". The situation that we have now, is that we don't have a problem currently in Thailand. Yes, we have Covid-19 and yes it's spreading, but the rate of which it's does is not alarming and therefore is not overwhelming the healthcare system. 

With controlled tourism, hopefully we can keep the spread at a similar level. This is unfortunately, the only way for countries that don't have much financial wiggle room. 

• Like 2

Ron Jeremy:-

"Had a friend once who was down on his luck, started selling his possessions to survive, couldn't beleive his so called friends that took advantage of him, offering pennies to buy his belongings. 

Lowlifes taking advantage of people in need". 

Well well well....Sorry it's a bit late in the evening and a few too many glasses of red wine imbided.  But please tell. E when did I use the term "friends" in my pursuit for a very good value automobile?  

Those good folk folk of the city or at least in my Fifteen years in and out of Pattaya, 10 permenantly.  Never did I find a Thai friend that wasn't on the "meter", or paid in some way.  Sadly only a few Farangs that didn't have a hidden agenda either.

Let all who sails in her burn, the city is a sad testimony to greed, jealousy, low morality and corruption.  Sodom and Gomoreah of modern times.  I d happily see it burn in the hope on a pheonix rise from its ashes.

This is my thoughts of Pattaya only and not Thais or the country as a whole.

Edited by 19DL86
  • Sad 1

I too don't like the thought of people starving and LOS is still a poor country with almost zero social security.  I fear for the poor of Thailand more than I do the UK for that reason alone.  The Thai government shouldn't get too comfortable either as it won't take much for a re-evaluation of Thais tolerance of their leaders during this latest crisis.

I would also concur that Thai tourism is in terminal decline for some considerable time to come.  The strength of the Thai baht pre-C19 was bad enough for tourism but what's coming post-lockdown is cataclysmic for LOS.  

The 2008 credit crunch will seem like a walk in the park compared to what's coming after the planet re-emerges from lockdown.  

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Eibot said:

What many European countries are doing, is flatten the curve. Simply meaning, keeping the ICU from overflowing while the virus is spreading. In this scenario, the virus is still spreading. 

Thailand will 100% use a European model. It simply cannot sustain a complete lock down like China had in Wuhan. 

I am not sure tourist hotspots are in any way compatible with flattening the curve. You can't lockdown forever (or 24 months), but you can implement reduced social contact for extended periods. You can't in a tourist hotspot though, it goes against everything required to keep the rate of spread reduced. Unless they quarantine tourist zones to keep the rest of the country safe, but that isn't going to sound very appealing to tourists.

If Sweden has promising results, and you also get promising results from a densely populated region who decides to take a similar approach, I can see them easing tourist restrictions then. That's a lot of ifs, and will take more than a few months to play out.

10 hours ago, z42 said:

Terrible. Truly terrible that the system put in place to help the needy is proving to be simply unfit for purpose.

My gf and kids are lucky that I am living here and can help them. But she applied for the 5k baht the day it went online, still not a word.

Thai people deserve better than this.

Yep I know 5 people who registered and have heard zilch, the government showing its true colours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I believe you that my twisting and turning is not surprising would you be surprised if this administration was twisting and turning when they boast of being able to test 20,000 tests per day yet there are over 32,830 PUI's waiting endlessly to be test because the administration claims it's to expensive?If they were able to test 20,000 per day then 32,830 PUI's could be tested in 2 days.Yet they don't.Why?Is it because they don't want to because they have 2 trillion baht stashed away in unspent social security money they boasted about in another story today that could be diverted.32,830 PUI's are they all in hospital?Where are they hiding 32,830 PUI's?Wouldn't 32,830 PUI's in hospital cause the an overload in the Thai health system?No wonder you are not surprised by my twisting and turning as you readily accept this administration's twisting and turning and even praise them for doing it.There are 150 countries with less deaths and infection numbers that Thailand if you want to count them and they are the numbers that we have to go by.All the countries behind the US have less deaths so that's a pretty lame boast to make.

I signed less deaths and you are signing less infections and deaths in your reply. Is that to create confusion. When I say one of the countries with less deaths, I mean that there is no big difference between 0, 1, 10 or even under 100 people that dies. The problem is when 1000s of people start dying. Then a country has lost all control.

Thailand is a living proof on that their system is working, so there is nothing you can say that will change that.

When one are standing in front of reality, when only the stupid one will try to tell another story.

• Sad 3

30 minutes ago, 19DL86 said:

Let all who sails in her burn, the city is a sad testimony to greed, jealousy, low morality and corruption.  Sodom and Gomoreah of modern times.  I d happily see it burn in the hope on a pheonix rise from its ashes.

It's so sinful, people by and large are actually following distancing measures for the greater good. Meanwhile in bible belt US, they're still congregating at church services, putting the entire community at risk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

The most distasteful and sickening qualities a man may possess are those of the braggart.

Their currency is accepted the World over.  Their qualities embraced here. The queues of young wannabes stretch round the block to be trained in their art.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I actually don't,

Loads of old people in the Uk freeze to death every year and there's a huge homeless problem.

Most Thais have access to a family farm, the ability to hunt and gather food, and the weather is never cold enough to kill.

This is different, BritManToo.  

I agree that the UK isn't without its own socio-economic problems but we still retain a social security system.  

The poor of LOS are in big trouble and I stand by my original assertion.   

Edited by torturedsole
  • Like 1

One of the main obstacles that any incentive to travel cannot overcome is the personal holiday time available

Currently many companies are, as an economic assist, encouraging staff to use paid holiday time accrued for the first 6 months of the year. The alternative is possible layoffs which means most will be expected to comply. Also means when the upturn kicks in there will be staff available and little holiday time to cover up to year end.

That said, those on furlough will have holiday, but will have received for a period 80% of salary so perhaps not too promising on that front either.

• Like 1