Thais in Pattaya forced to sell belongings to buy food

webfact

25 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

People selling all they have to get food to eat is funny, is it? Something to joke about, is it? There really are some cretins around, aren't there, and not ashamed to show that they are.

I don't think it is funny as you insinuated. I did spell the word incorrect but it wasn't suppose to be a joke. thanks anyway.

40 minutes ago, Odysseus123 said:

Well said.

And no..they are not ashamed to show what they are.

But the Greeks not only invented the term "pleonexia" they also invented the concept of "hubris" which they considered a force to be reckoned with.

The poster to whom you are responding has never even made it to the status of "Legend in his own lunchtime."

not sure if you were referring to me. If so I didn't mean it to be a joke. 

Edited by steven100

Upcountry, in many Isaan villages, families are whole again.  Bangkok working parents have returned to their homes.  Most live in isolation 14 days.  I see them on my bike rides—on farms, foraging in the forest, and taking odd jobs around town.

to put it in perspective my bro got 3 bisnesses in UK, he is getting 25k GBP per business, 75k total. I dont get how thais want to survive this lockdown, and they give 5k THB if u lucky.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, time2093 said:

How did you get those figures????.....I see it as soon as the major restrictions have lifted on foreigners and airlines can resume flying like before as nobody knows how long it could take, but as soon is the lights are turned on again in Pattaya the flood gates will be opened to the Chinese, Indians like no tomorrow.

And how will return home they are on lockdown too so they won’t be able to get flights out or back home. No one will be going anywhere in a hurry. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Tourists won't be going back to Pattaya anytime soon.

Think around 18-24 month ball park figure.

Even then I think they will be thin on the ground.

Might be a good idea to get the old fish nets out again! 

I have friends backed up waiting to come back... your 18-24 month figure is just nonsense. 

Where you picking this ridiculous figure from? Guessing you're quite poor in Liverpool ? 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 5

5 hours ago, ezzra said:

Sadly and unfortunately this is the new norm now, some will suffer a hell of a lot then others, good to see that people are choosing to sell their possessions rather than resorting to criminal acts...

The criminal acts will come if they run out of options to feed themselves and their families...

Might be a good time for the country's officials to appreciate the money we (expats) bring to their country. Tourism will certainly drop very low, and since many jobs are lost, I'm afraid, like in America, a lot might resort to crimes to eat. Many might return to farming, which is actually a good thing, seeing that Thailand leads the world in children being raised by grandparents, so their parents will be home instead of working in Bangkok or other big cities. This includes the smaller percentage that have to sell their bodies for money, something which isn't a good thing for your children to know is normal.(It isn't).

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, 19DL86 said:

That ll suit me, I m looking for a 2 year old SUV low Kms Everest, CRV, CX5 or such like. I ll guess another few weeks this situation will filter up the food chain.  Be lots of cheap properties another 3-6 months.

Fortune favors the brave, anyone holding cash will make a killing yet again.  Welcome to the "Money go Round"

Charming.

• Like 2

The government don't seem to bother about people starving it seems the norm for them. I have had a number of thais ask me for help Philippinos also as I go between the two places often it's so bad  so I don't know what they are doing the government to help these people it's disgraceful for sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 19DL86 said:

Fortune favors the brave, anyone holding cash will make a killing yet again.  Welcome to the "Money go Round"

I'm sure the poor, the deperate and the needy will not consider how "favoured" those with money are in these times! ???? 

5 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

what does Pattaya have that you can't get anywhere else in the world only cheaper?

I've never seen the attraction of the place myself.

Walking street is like hell on earth to me.

Like the Grafton ??

• Thanks 1

Perhaps it is time to think about what type of communities do we want to come from this chaos?

The old type of economy has changed irrevocably, be part of the change you desire, collaboration and empathy is a begining.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Liverpoolfan said:

Tourists won't be going back to Pattaya anytime soon.

Think around 18-24 month ball park figure.

Even then I think they will be thin on the ground.

Might be a good idea to get the old fish nets out again! 

Good idea if only people could afford to buy the fish!

1 hour ago, geisha said:

Tonight they will announce plans to stop international flights until September. For Europe ,that is the right decision. 

who is talking about this? Thailand or European countries?

• Like 2