Can you live in a Studio/Bedsitter?

After splitting with the missus in Oz where we had 374sqm I found it a bit of a squeeze in Patts to go to a 35sqm 1 bdrm condo, so upgraded to 53sqm which obviously was better but still felt a bit tight. Now in 83sqm 2bdrm 2bath, just me and the Thai GF. Love it, especially the large balcony which I use daily. Each to their own but if you enjoy less space then good for you, money for other fun.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aliflair said:

After splitting with the missus in Oz where we had 374sqm I found it a bit of a squeeze in Patts to go to a 35sqm 1 bdrm condo, so upgraded to 53sqm which obviously was better but still felt a bit tight. Now in 83sqm 2bdrm 2bath, just me and the Thai GF. Love it, especially the large balcony which I use daily. Each to their own but if you enjoy less space then good for you, money for other fun.

I would hate to entice her family with the spare bedroom, though.

Edited by moontang

2 hours ago, seancbk said:

I've lived in the same studio for 7+ years.  Total inside area is 33 sq/m. 

At the moment I'm working from home which I actually prefer as I can roll out of bed when I want and don't have to spend 40 mins a day on the BTS.  

I have a decent sized (separate) kitchen which can be closed off behind double sliding glass doors, although I never bother as I prefer being able to just walk in without sliding the door open.   The kitchen is 4.6 sq/m  (210 cm x 220 cm).  Plenty big enough to have a 6" tall Fridge/Freezer and space to cook in. 

Bathroom is a bit smaller at 3 sq/m  (140 cm x 220 cm).   Toilet, sink and glass shower stall.   Perfectly adequate.

Main Room is a decent 25.4 sq/m   (385 cm x 660 cm).  

I've never felt it's too small and I grew up in houses with 6-8 bedrooms and dining rooms, libraries, etc  

I also don't mind staying in.  During this current situation I spend 8-10 hours working and then switch on the TV a watch Netflix for 4 or 5 hours before going to bed.   

I'm right next to a BTS station on the Sukhumvit Line and pay 8000 THB per month.    

Fitness too?

I COULD live in a bedsitter or a studio but the balcony would be in proportion and not really good for me. Likely also the view from a studio balcony would be very ordinary or less.

I like my space, lots of it, both inside and outside with at least some garden and preferably bigger;  in England, most of my adult life in big spacious houses with very big gardens and in the countryside.

As far as Thailand goes, I would not live in a studio flat or condo because I don't need to. I have lived in various places around Thailand, not Bangkok, and had lovely accommodation for me when living alone, ranging from B2500 to B5000 per month with the creature comforts I am happy with and usually enough gardens and other land to keep me interested and busy.

No way in hell you can get me to live in a Shoe box. We got a small block off dirt ,built a house and we got a nice(not a perfect lawn) and a Veg garden .Lots of fun and exercise . A good easy modest life .  ????

• Like 2

Stayed in a studio apt ( 28 sqm I think ) for around 15 months with the gf. Had a top floor corner room so benefited from a window and a slightly larger balcony. Also top floor corner room benefits from less neighbours noise.

Was happy there , good memories, couldn’t move back though with all the junk I’ve accumulated in the 3 bed/3 bath/ small garden house am in now for the last 3 years.

This lockdown would have been hard to handle !!, with a garden and a couple of diy projects staying at home is no problem.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

We used to live in a cardboard box on t tip.

I used to get up, 1/2 hr before I went to sleep, work a 16 hour shift down pit and when we got home, Dad uaed to make us lick road clean wit tongue.

You try tellin’ that to the youth of today!

And yet you survived. Da*n! Shore don't make em' like that anymore eh? THAT is something to be proud of and I tip my hat to ya'. 

Edited by Dap

40 some years back, I rented four different houses in 3 years, 2 in Loei and 2 in BKK. Smallest was about a 2 room, very old Thai wooden bungalow in a compound in BKK around Pratunam.  No aircon or hot water, but it was safe, convenient and cheap (1,200 Baht/mo?).  Hi-so landlady lived in the big house and rented out several rooms/bungalows to Peace Corps volunteers. The houses in Loei were about 500 Baht/mo.  :shock1:

I prefer a bit of elbow room. And a lily pond, garden with fruit trees, orchids and toy chickens.  And a view from the back porch. We bought 5 small lots on the edge of Loei.  This is the second house built. 3 bed, 2 bath, large living/dining room and a small kitchen.  Plenty of room for 2 if we get back there.

image.png.9d61d4bff66012f8b717a3ff05eeee04.png  image.png.d6f2d30839987718bf5f307473f6999d.pngimage.jpeg.b78f6c2895e5c89a77c6968444441a84.jpeg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Damrongsak said:

40 some years back, I rented four different houses in 3 years, 2 in Loei and 2 in BKK. Smallest was about a 2 room, very old Thai wooden bungalow in a compound in BKK around Pratunam.  No aircon or hot water, but it was safe, convenient and cheap (1,200 Baht/mo?).  Hi-so landlady lived in the big house and rented out several rooms/bungalows to Peace Corps volunteers. The houses in Loei were about 500 Baht/mo.  :shock1:

I prefer a bit of elbow room. And a lily pond, garden with fruit trees, orchids and toy chickens.  And a view from the back porch. We bought 5 small lots on the edge of Loei.  This is the second house built. 3 bed, 2 bath, large living/dining room and a small kitchen.  Plenty of room for 2 if we get back there.

image.png.9d61d4bff66012f8b717a3ff05eeee04.png  image.png.d6f2d30839987718bf5f307473f6999d.pngimage.jpeg.b78f6c2895e5c89a77c6968444441a84.jpeg

A couple of those posts look like they're sinking. Might want to check the foundations.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, whaleboneman said:

A couple of those posts look like they're sinking. Might want to check the foundations.

Also looks like a mosquito breeding farm..stagnant, still water...but nice view.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, whaleboneman said:

Could be, I'll have someone check them out.  Thanks.  Unfortunately, the house was built by the sis-in-law in trade for the older house we built for their mother years ago and I had no design input.  Built over a swamp ...

If I'd live in a 21m2 condo, I'd definitely need a balcony. To jump from.

When I first entered Thailand I thought I could live alone quite well in a 50m2 condo.

Nowadays I feel I really need a 2 bedroom condo, at least 70m2; one room to be used as a home office. 

I bought one of those shoe boxes in Pattaya about 14 years ago.  It's a small 37sqm unit on the 12th floor.  It's kitted out nice with a ceiling fan, 3/4 size fridge, two burner stove, and a locked screen door with big wooden slats.  (people walking by can't see in)  Helps to get the cross breeze when the sliding glass door from the balcony is open.  On the ground floor are a lot of shops including laundry so you're not stuck hauling you laundry very far away.  There's also a couple of small restaurants, mini mart, and a huge pool.  Lots of parking too for both cars and motorcycles.  Despite all this, I've never lived in it other than about one week many years ago.  I just rent it out.  Always been occupied until about a month ago.  Oh well, it's paid for so I'm not to concerned.  For me though, I couldn't live in it.  I need more space and prefer a house.  

• Sad 1