China reports 89 new coronavirus cases on April 13, 86 imported

webfact

China reports 89 new coronavirus cases on April 13, 86 imported

2020-04-14T004413Z_1_LYNXNPEG3D010_RTROPTP_4_HEALTH-CORONAVIRUS-CHINA.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Residents fill out registration data ahead of coronavirus checks outside a local hospital in Guangzhou's Sanyuanli area, as the spread of the novel coronavirus disease (COVID-19) continues in the country, in Guangdong province, China April 13, 2020. REUTERS/David Kirton

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - China reported 89 new coronavirus cases on April 13, down from 108 the previous day, the health authority said on Tuesday.

Of the total, 86 were imported, down from 98 a day earlier, the National Health Commission said.

China's state broadcaster had reported earlier that 79 of the day's imported cases were in the northeast province of Heilongjiang, which shares a border with Russia.

The number of total confirmed cases in China now stands at 82,249. Its death toll from the pandemic stands at 3,341, with no new deaths on April 13.

(Reporting by David Stanway and Lusha Zhang; Editing by Kim Coghill)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-04-14
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

With Wuhan crematories working overtime, and one handing out 5000 urns, it’s time for some honesty from the pariah nation.

27'000 people die every day in China. 5'000 is peanuts.

How are you going to communicate with a pariah? ????

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

With Wuhan crematories working overtime, and one handing out 5000 urns, it’s time for some honesty from the pariah nation.

did they hand out 5000 urns?  could have been more than that.  the 5000 number is from an article reporting a delivery of 2500 to one mortuary, and the driver saying he had also delivered the same amount the day before.  what size is the normal delivery, and how often do they occur? 

wuhan was shut down for 75 days or so, not sure if the mortuaries received any deliveries during that time, and don't know if the other 7 are open to the public yet.  was this the main mortuary and the others are smaller satellite units, or do they all have the same capacity? hard to say what that number means in context.

annual death rate for china is about 7.15/1000 on average.  is wuhan's death rate average?  what part of the annual cycle is this 75-day period?  have to make a lot of assumptions.  wuhan has a population of 11 million, minus some millions that went home for the holiday before the lockdown. 

just basic math without knowing the particulars says there should have been around 16,500 deaths in the city over that time period, plus another 2,500 due to the virus.  some of those surely would have been included in the first number, so 19,000 wouldn't be correct either.

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

did they hand out 5000 urns?  could have been more than that.  the 5000 number is from an article reporting a delivery of 2500 to one mortuary, and the driver saying he had also delivered the same amount the day before.  what size is the normal delivery, and how often do they occur? 

wuhan was shut down for 75 days or so, not sure if the mortuaries received any deliveries during that time, and don't know if the other 7 are open to the public yet.  was this the main mortuary and the others are smaller satellite units, or do they all have the same capacity? hard to say what that number means in context.

annual death rate for china is about 7.15/1000 on average.  is wuhan's death rate average?  what part of the annual cycle is this 75-day period?  have to make a lot of assumptions.  wuhan has a population of 11 million, minus some millions that went home for the holiday before the lockdown. 

just basic math without knowing the particulars says there should have been around 16,500 deaths in the city over that time period, plus another 2,500 due to the virus.  some of those surely would have been included in the first number, so 19,000 wouldn't be correct either.

All that work only to realize urns are made locally in Wuhan.

5 minutes ago, rabas said:

All that work only to realize urns are made locally in Wuhan.

really?  how many factories, what capacity, and were they operating during the closure?  never mind!  facts don't matter, i feel this in my gut.  that or the burrito i had for dinner.

so 2500 urns x 8 mortuaria x 75 days = 1,500,000 dead.  i wonder if we can confirm that with cancelled cellphone subscriptions.

6 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

really?  how many factories, what capacity, and were they operating during the closure? 

Facts matter? You just wrote a page based on an unproven 'fact' that Wuhan, a city the side of Bangkok must import funeral urns. Really? I think it's the author's responsibility to provide facts, don't you?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, rabas said:

Facts matter? You just wrote a page based on an unproven 'fact' that Wuhan, a city the side of Bangkok must import funeral urns. Really? I think it's the author's responsibility to provide facts, don't you?

did i?  lemme go back and check, for i hate to make stupid misteaks.

mortuary received a delivery or two.  wuhan was shut down.  question if any received by mortuary during shutdown.  death rates.  do some math.  nope, i don't see it.  i've got a delivery to a mortuary, but not a delivery to wuhan, from an unknown source.

i had not even considered the source of their urns.  good catch, i should have.  if they don't produce their own, but import them from elsewhere in hubei or another province, i wouldn't know whether they would be considered essential goods.  food was being shipped in, right?  if they do have urn factories, were they shut down as well?

• Confused 1