Restrictions can be lifted, but very gradually, experts say

webfact

1 hour ago, domgaf said:

What about me? I visit Thailand three times per year for a month at a time so that I can spend time with my wife and my children. I would happily spend two weeks in quarantine if it meant that I could have two weeks with my family afterwards. It certainly beats not seeing them at all. I know a lot of others who are in my situation, who want to visit their families in Thailand, and that is just in my field of work.

2 weeks in quarantine away from my mrs would be heaven now you know why i escape back to uk for 4/6 months a year!

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Everything opening in Pattaya on May 1st but other countries cancelling events all over the world. 

How can we have discos and bars open? Just one case and it will spread like wildfire. 

source ?

8 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea right .. They can stuff that where the sun don't shine .. 

Fly halfway around the world to be told stay in for 14 days .. Off their head's they are .. And can you really see zillions of Chinese who let's face it are the market they hold closest being banged up for a fortnight with no free for all seafood buffet to pile into ..

I think not .. 

One really has to wonder what is in the mind of these government people. Whoever heard of anything so stupid????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

I understand they need to take precautions, but let's have someone with a brain actually make the decisions.

So a tourist who has a week or two vacation, has to quarantine for 14 days?  No point in coming, so never going to work.

Wonder if they are still going to put all their eggs in one basket and focus purely on their beloved Chinese again.  That was a disaster last time and I don't give a <deleted> what <deleted> TAT numbers are, one only has to use their eyes and look around that the country has been declining since 2014 when the military took over. Remember back 10 years ago, streets were packed with tourists, had to walk on the road because there were too may people on the sidewalk, hotels full, tours full, beaches packed, lucky to get a seat in bars and restaurants and shops and even shops where full.  year on year this has been dropping. Now (before Corona), half the bars are closed, restaurants half empty, shops and business struggling, sidewalks empty, beaches still have people but nothing to what it was.  

Nooooo!!!!!!

They dont want short term tourists, geddit?

Jeezzzzzz.......

''Dr Chaiwat Techapaitoon, leader of a group supporting medical doctors fighting Covid-19, voiced concerns about the country running out of Favipiravir – the drug that is being used to treat the virus. Doctors are using this drug to treat critical patients or those whose lungs have been invaded by the virus. . . . He said the government should consider importing chemicals to produce the drug locally. ''

I know nothing of chemistry so is it really quite this easy -- buy in some chemicals, mix 'em up -- and dose up all the inflicted?

5 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I guess this man will be talking to someone in charge soon. You can´t be drunk at work!

Yes,I can’t wait to see the results of that - drunk man talks to someone possessed of the Thick Gene. Bound to remove any form of logic or reasoning!

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Thailand said:

I think that essential services like golf courses should open first to the over 70's.

And pleeeeease get rid of that damned video ad blocking the page!

Agree on both counts, lot of fresh air, some healthy exercise for the old farts (like myself), caddies get back to earning some income (BTW many of the caddies wear masks already even before COVID-19) and everyone masks up and carries hand gel. 

Turn the green hole cups upside down with the flag stick in them so you only have to hit the cup holder, no one has to touch the flag stick.

If us oldies can get through as test bunnies alive then open it up to the less COVID-19 affected younger age groups.

Bring it on please,....please;  as for the annoying video #$%$#^%^&%$&^$&

image.png.b8d1bf98025fa00578d1276259d1d716.png

2 hours ago, Kalorymetr said:

Well, most young professionals work from home right now.

The way I see it - You come to Thailand and work remotely for 2 weeks under quarantine, then have vacation as normal.

Thais are just ahead with their thinking.

I would do it if they let me on a beach in a bungalow.

How does that work as a young professional, who works in a service trade, such as Automobile repair, or working in a restaurant, a hotel, a grocery store, a warehouse, or as a loader at companies such as Amazon, or mail delivery folks, a plumber, a contract worker working on building bridges, houses, and such, heating and air, and maybe a fireman, a police officer, nurse or?  It will not.  So only folks working in the computer industry, insurance agents, and such who can work from a phone or computer are the only ones your scenario is applicable to.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

What are you talking about ?? Singapore is not letting anyone in for "vacations" !!

Pretty sure HK still has 14 days of isolation upon arrival....and only residents allowed back not tourists. Will look for a link.

"In the future, foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand will have to apply a month ahead and must agree to a 14-day quarantine upon entering the country. He said this move may help the private sector arrange quarantine sites for visitors."

The results of serious head traumas are incoherent speech and great confusion. Patients should be kept in semi-darkness with as little disturbance and external stimulation as possible.

4 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Malaysia's problems come from clusters linked to religious muslim festivals. The same in Indonesia. There is no comparison with Thailand.

Let's see...

Malaysia's problems come from clusters. linked to religious muslim festivals. The same in Indonesia all over the world. There is no comparison with Same-same Thailand.

There ya go. Stay safe.

9 hours ago, PatOngo said:
11 hours ago, lkv said:

12 hours ago, webfact said:

In the future, foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand will have to apply a month ahead and must agree to a 14-day quarantine upon entering the country. He said this move may help the private sector arrange quarantine sites for visitors.

What has he been smoking? Where do they come up with these ideas?

They don't need to smoke anything, stupidity is a natural talent!

There are tens of countries who applies such a quarantine !

Why Thailand decision only would be stupid when many countries already do this ?

Just check the page below and search for "quarantine" :

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Pattaya46 said:

There are tens of countries who applies such a quarantine !

Why Thailand decision only would be stupid when many countries already do this ?

Just check the page below and search for "quarantine" :

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Because it's a Thai based forum, the thread is about relaxing restrictions in Thailand and it's not about the quarantine..

12 hours ago, webfact said:

For instance, provincial governors may consider reopening hairdressing and beauty salons first provided the number of customers is kept limited and hand gel or steriliser is made available. Clients will also be required to wear face masks. 

Eh? Not that such businesses involve close contact or anything...........jeez!

This policy pretty much kills the concept of multi-entry non-immigrant visas and border runs.  For some of us with families here this is a major policy change.  It looks to me like the only way around this is getting a formal one-year extension and then starting the 90-day reporting.   I am not sure if Thailand can really afford to lose their tourist industry and this policy will certainly put a damper on tourism.  And what about businessmen which travel in and out of Thailand?  Can they afford to sit in a hotel for two weeks/month?

2 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Same in Singapore... Quarantine in a hotel for returning residents, not at home...

Prior to the enhanced restrictions, it was done with swabs.

I expect that when restrictions are gradually lifted, to be also done by swabs or any other quicker way of testing that will come out over the following months, which will not inconvenience the traveller.

It's a more viable solution than what is being mentioned in the OP, which as I stated before, must come from smoking some combination of plants, since they now banned the alcohol.

Edited by lkv

15 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Yea right .. They can stuff that where the sun don't shine .. 

Fly halfway around the world to be told stay in for 14 days .. Off their head's they are .. And can you really see zillions of Chinese who let's face it are the market they hold closest being banged up for a fortnight with no free for all seafood buffet to pile into ..

I think not .. 

By the time bars and restaurants are allowed to open again they'll all have gone broke anyway, so there won't be anywhere to eat and drink, when the tourists have had their 2 week 'holiday' in quarantine.  Personally, I wouldn't bother.

12 hours ago, thaiclan said:

Singapore is in a lockdown worse than Thailand. You can't walk down the street with someone unless they are from your household. You can't visit someone's house or receive a visitor either. Tracking is done via your phone, so you may think you have gotten away with it until that knock on your door comes...

I know foreigners who have been caught breaking the lockdown rules who have had their work permits revoked and been banned entry for life.

Singapore is edging up to 4,000 cases and so the early lax rules they had about the virus has been completely flipped now and they are in full lockdown. Although funnily they won't call it lockdown and instead say it's just a 'circuit breaker' LOL!

If you don't want to be tracked by your phone, you could always leave it at home.

5 minutes ago, mikosan said:

By the time bars and restaurants are allowed to open again they'll all have gone broke anyway, so there won't be anywhere to eat and drink, when the tourists have had their 2 week 'holiday' in quarantine.  Personally, I wouldn't bother.

I left Thailand on 27th March (11 days earlier than planned), even without quarantine, if nowhere's open there's not much point in being there.

12 hours ago, Oziex1 said:

All over the world there is pressure from the greedies and the ill informed to lift restrictions, the more enlightened leaders are having none of it.

I believe Thailand will not be easing any restrictions soon.

I sure hope so. Opening prematurely or easing the lockdown would be stupid, stupid, stupid. Of course, many of the greedies & ill-informed are the govt!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, unblocktheplanet said:

I sure hope so. Opening prematurely or easing the lockdown would be stupid, stupid, stupid. Of course, many of the greedies & ill-informed are the govt!

They will ease the opening of business asap because hundreds of thousands of Thais are starving you complete balloon.

• Like 2