Restrictions can be lifted, but very gradually, experts say

webfact

6 minutes ago, superal said:

Not that easy Barry , your phone has to be with you all times and there is a tracker on it . You will be called  maybe 3 times a day and asked questions which can have voice sound  checks if needed so you cannot be impersonated . The IO may also pay you a visit .

That only applies to new arrivals on a SHN (stay home notice)... 

I don't have the App on my phone and I go out everyday to exercise.

Need to wear a mask though when out walking now, $300 fine if caught without. Strenuous exercise and under 2s exempt

• Thanks 1

14 day quarantine for tourists? Most people have few weeks of paid vacation. They will not spend their time in quarantine. let me remind you that the Thai economy is tide to tourism. Officially 13% which can be debated.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, outsider said:

Wow, that is really, really stupid. And an equally stupid notion, to think that people are straining against their leashes, waiting to jump on the first flight to Thailand as soon stay-home orders are lifted around the world. The days of being on most people's bucket list, are gone. With or without the <deleted>tarded 14-day quarantine. Now put your skirt back on.

Speaking of stay-home orders, your neighbour Malaysia, which have been praised by the international community for having one of the better responses and control, are still nowhere near lifting anything. They have been under the order for one month since 18 March, and have just extended it for another two weeks until end April. And it seems they may extend for another two weeks into the middle of May. So, don't get overly excited because of lower case counts for a day or two. Again, keep your skirt on. I think we're not out of the woods yet.

Malaysia's problems come from clusters linked to religious muslim festivals. The same in Indonesia. There is no comparison with Thailand.

• Confused 1

Well, most young professionals work from home right now.

The way I see it - You come to Thailand and work remotely for 2 weeks under quarantine, then have vacation as normal.

Thais are just ahead with their thinking.

I would do it if they let me on a beach in a bungalow.

3 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

That only applies to new arrivals on a SHN (stay home notice)... 

I don't have the App on my phone and I go out everyday to exercise.

Need to wear a mask though when out walking now, $300 fine if caught without. Strenuous exercise and under 2s exempt

Happened to a friend of mine and his family who went out of the province for 3 days and on their return were under house quarantine imposed by the Head of the village , app on his phone and checked out every day by the police . Same thing happened to another friend who had been in a spot of trouble . Maybe changes in different provinces ?   Anyway I would not even think of disobeying the quarantine as the penalties will not be nice .

In the future, foreign tourists wanting to visit Thailand will have to apply a month ahead and must agree to a 14-day quarantine upon entering the country. He said this move may help the private sector arrange quarantine sites for visitors.

So in future Thailand will have no tourists. Seems this is the plan. Who would take a 2 week vacation top a place where its more expensive and you will be quarantined all 2 weeks.:cheesy:

https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism/thailands-beaches-now-more-expensive-that-european-resorts-report

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Kalorymetr said:

Well, most young professionals work from home right now.

The way I see it - You come to Thailand and work remotely for 2 weeks under quarantine, then have vacation as normal.

Thais are just ahead with their thinking.

I would do it if they let me on a beach in a bungalow.

And you will be working from home for the foreseeable future by the looks of it. 

23 minutes ago, superal said:
1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

And, of course, no-one thinks to leave their phone at home if they go out. Really?

Not that easy Barry , your phone has to be with you all times and there is a tracker on it . You will be called  maybe 3 times a day and asked questions which can have voice sound  checks if needed so you cannot be impersonated . The IO may also pay you a visit .

Interesting. Real Big Brother stuff. It must need a massive number of staff to monitor all the citizens of the country. And does everyone really have a smart phone? It makes Thailand a paradise by comparison, and that's a surprise.

45 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Really? You really think that medical personnel who are at risk and the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands when you include family and friends) of those affected are all staying silent? None revealing the real situation (in your mind) on social media? Really? What century are you living in? This is 2020. No more secrets. Catch up, please.

Explain how a family confirms that someone died of CV-19

Are you catching it yet Barry - I always thought you were were a rational thinker until now

I am now reconsidering

13 minutes ago, superal said:

Happened to a friend of mine and his family who went out of the province for 3 days and on their return were under house quarantine imposed by the Head of the village , app on his phone and checked out every day by the police . Same thing happened to another friend who had been in a spot of trouble . Maybe changes in different provinces ?   Anyway I would not even think of disobeying the quarantine as the penalties will not be nice .

Thought you were talking about Singapore ??

He is right until good testing can be done preflight then 14 day lockdown has to be.

....but I think a test will come soon.... Thailand needs tourists.... that need will begin to take on an urgency of its own soon enough.

I cant fault anything I just read.

Events will change what happens as they unfold...as it has...

Edited by WalkingOrders
Sp
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Yadon Toploy said:

You are not a tourist then, you are living here part time with family.

Hate to break it to you, but the Thai govt. have made it pretty clear they don't give a stuff about those foreigners on marriage visas, retirement or even elite visas, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Maybe they will break character and start to show some empathy for folk in your position, but don't hold your breath... they have bigger worries at the moment.

As far as they are concerned, I am a tourist, as I only stay for a month at a time and arrive on a tourist visa or a 30 day visa exempt stamp. I never overstay, and only visit two or three times per year.

As per your original post, although I do have sex with my wife, I don't think that makes me a sex tourist lol.????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jmurch said:

Hairdresser and beauty salons open first? People have to look good before they can go back to work? Sorry I don't understand this!

I think this is a nice concession to the lower-income population. Many poor families, especially single-mother ones, rely on selling food and necessities (exempt from closing under conditions), running hair salons or laundry shops, etc. in the soi's and villages for their livelihood. They serve the close community and, if the infection breaks out, they are easier to trace and contain within the neighborhood.

49 minutes ago, finnsk said:

I am wondering how the future will be in around 3-4 month, when the first wave is close to an end and the world is waiting for the second wave of Covid.

There is probaly still no vaccine against Covid.

I think we will still need to do social distancing, maybe we still have to use facemask.

And about covid and social distancing, how you can fill up a flight, a bus or a train if you must respect social distancing ?

No tourist will come to Thailand or other places, to go to 2 weeks quarantine at the vacation location or in a military camp or whatever. Maybe time to do some very special 2 weeks qurantane massage vacation LOL.

Or tourist maybe should go in 2 weeks quarantine before the travel, to get the thai healt certificate to board the plane, and 2 weeks qurantine in Thailand and then 2 weeks qurantine when they return to their homes.

It looks to be a "great" summer for the tourist industry.

To be honest, I don't think the emphasis here is on tourists. I think foreigners still need to enter Thailand for various purposes and those people will be willing to stay put for two weeks. Tourists a bit further out on the horizon.

For example, if I had to visit States and return to Thailand I would be willing to lockdown 14 days. All part of the situation.

Edited by WalkingOrders
Sp
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, smedly said:

Really? You really think that medical personnel who are at risk and the tens of thousands (hundreds of thousands when you include family and friends) of those affected are all staying silent? None revealing the real situation (in your mind) on social media? Really? What century are you living in? This is 2020. No more secrets. Catch up, please.

Explain how a family confirms that someone died of CV-19

Are you catching it yet Barry - I always thought you were were a rational thinker until now

I am now reconsidering

Come on. You know, surely, that the locals would panic and blame almost any death on the virus as it's now the current 'thing'. Anyway, do you think that if the death rate was soaring from anything at all there wouldn't be an outcry on social media? Especially as Thailand is the second biggest user of FB on the entire planet.

Do you know anyone who has caught the virus?

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ketyo said:

Malaysia's problems come from clusters. linked to religious muslim festivals. The same in Indonesia around the world. There is no comparison Even with Thailand.

There you go. Stay safe now.

Edited by blackcab
Strike through text removed. Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording

8 minutes ago, GlassWayOverHalfFull said:

Everything opening in Pattaya on May 1st but other countries cancelling events all over the world. 

How can we have discos and bars open? Just one case and it will spread like wildfire. 

The governor said "businesses" can reopen.  He hasn't said WHICH businesses yet. 

Personally, I'd be amazed if it was just "OK, back to normal folks", I'm expecting some sort of phased reopening.

Welcome to the new world.. Australia isn't expecting new international arrivals until probably 2021.. Keep one's country safe.. Let everyone in too soon, even with 14 quarantine and watch a repeat with an even bigger wave.. 

If the General P is concerned with the economy and getting tourism starting again, too soon and without the right moves, Thailand may be stuffed again. Think smart, but TIT. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Phuketboy said:

I understand they need to take precautions, but let's have someone with a brain actually make the decisions.

So a tourist who has a week or two vacation, has to quarantine for 14 days?  No point in coming, so never going to work.

Wonder if they are still going to put all their eggs in one basket and focus purely on their beloved Chinese again.  That was a disaster last time and I don't give a <deleted> what <deleted> TAT numbers are, one only has to use their eyes and look around that the country has been declining since 2014 when the military took over. Remember back 10 years ago, streets were packed with tourists, had to walk on the road because there were too may people on the sidewalk, hotels full, tours full, beaches packed, lucky to get a seat in bars and restaurants and shops and even shops where full.  year on year this has been dropping. Now (before Corona), half the bars are closed, restaurants half empty, shops and business struggling, sidewalks empty, beaches still have people but nothing to what it was.  

This is so true. When I came here in 2005, my favorite watering hole was 5 deep at the bar. Those days are long gone

46 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Come on. You know, surely, that the locals would panic and blame almost any death on the virus as it's now the current 'thing'. Anyway, do you think that if the death rate was soaring from anything at all there wouldn't be an outcry on social media? Especially as Thailand is the second biggest user of FB on the entire planet.

Do you know anyone who has caught the virus?

again Barry you are missing the critical point - if they don't test then they just don't know, I have seen several people claiming in the media that relatives died of CV-19 they were immediately confronted by officials and threatened - they retracted and apologised immediately - very few claim anything in public now 

you really have lost it mate if you don't get the draconian environment you are living - there is no freedom here - its getting closer to China by the day - open your eyes and keep the feet for dancing 

In the free west the press and people ask questions and governments are held to account - when was the last time you witnessed that in Thailand

seriously dude open your eyes 

• Thanks 1

Interesting. Real Big Brother stuff. It must need a massive number of staff to monitor all the citizens of the country. And does everyone really have a smart phone? It makes Thailand a paradise by comparison, and that's a surprise.

All mobile cell phones are traceable but by taking certain steps can be made untraceable . 

Many criminals are caught out by their phone usage and location . Your movements can be back tracked .