COVID-19 advice for UK visa applicants and temporary UK residents

I can confirm that those on a visitor visa can apply for a settlement visa from UK.

They are calling it FLRm. Spouse visa. My wife's application is being completed as we speak. English test centers are all closed. Applicant must write a covering letter explaining why they have not taken an English test and promise to take one when available. Application centre will hold application until test results received. There is no mention on the application of a need for TB test. All biometrics will be done in UK too.

The applicant will receive an "application pending" ref number and this can be used as proof of right to live until the application has been processed.

Edited by puchooay
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Tony M said:

Can you provide a link or an email, or whatever, from the UKVI to confirm this ?  It's very useful information, but it needs evidencing, I think.

If you are referring to my post, I can only confirm what I was told first hand by the Gov.UK Covid-19 help line.

15 hours ago, puchooay said:

If you are referring to my post, I can only confirm what I was told first hand by the Gov.UK Covid-19 help line.

Thanks. I only ask because that guidance doesn't seem to be published anywhere. It would be nice to have confirmation before paying out the fairly high fees. I realise that applicants/sponsors could also phone the helpline, but it would be sensible for the UKVI to publish their current policies.

Edited by Tony M

9 hours ago, Tony M said:

Thanks. I only ask because that guidance doesn't seem to be published anywhere. It would be nice to have confirmation before paying out the fairly high fees. I realise that applicants/sponsors could also phone the helpline, but it would be sensible for the UKVI to publish their current policies.

There is actually a paragraph about this on the link above.

18 hours ago, puchooay said:

There is actually a paragraph about this on the link above.

I note what you say, but I don't see anything in the link about letters of explanation, etc. It also seems a little unclear on who can actually benefit from the concession.    The link says this:

If you’re applying to stay in the UK long-term

You can apply from the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa until 31 May 2020. This includes applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.

The email that I received, in response to my query says this:

Where you would normally be required to return to your country of residence to apply for a visa in a different category, you’ll now be able to apply from the UK to switch.

This will only apply if your leave has expired or will expire on or after 24 January 2020 to 31 May 2020; including those individuals who have already had their leave extended to 31 March 2020.

To me, they read differently.  The first (your link) says that anyone can apply until the end of May. The second (from the email I received) says that any leave must end before the end of May. So, someone who arrive as a visitor in ,say, April, does not qualify.  Maybe it's just me who reads them differently, but I often find UKVI guidance contradictory and/or confusing.

On 4/15/2020 at 10:25 PM, puchooay said:

I can confirm that those on a visitor visa can apply for a settlement visa from UK.

They are calling it FLRm. Spouse visa. My wife's application is being completed as we speak. English test centers are all closed. Applicant must write a covering letter explaining why they have not taken an English test and promise to take one when available. Application centre will hold application until test results received. There is no mention on the application of a need for TB test. All biometrics will be done in UK too.

The applicant will receive an "application pending" ref number and this can be used as proof of right to live until the application has been processed.

Given the timescales for Settlement application I would be fairly confident that language test centres would be open again before a decision is actually made......

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 6:20 AM, Tony M said:

I note what you say, but I don't see anything in the link about letters of explanation, etc. It also seems a little unclear on who can actually benefit from the concession.    The link says this:

If you’re applying to stay in the UK long-term

You can apply from the UK to switch to a long-term UK visa until 31 May 2020. This includes applications where you would usually need to apply for a visa from your home country.

The email that I received, in response to my query says this:

Where you would normally be required to return to your country of residence to apply for a visa in a different category, you’ll now be able to apply from the UK to switch.

This will only apply if your leave has expired or will expire on or after 24 January 2020 to 31 May 2020; including those individuals who have already had their leave extended to 31 March 2020.

To me, they read differently.  The first (your link) says that anyone can apply until the end of May. The second (from the email I received) says that any leave must end before the end of May. So, someone who arrive as a visitor in ,say, April, does not qualify.  Maybe it's just me who reads them differently, but I often find UKVI guidance contradictory and/or confusing.

Did you get any more clarification on this? 

My wife is on a multi-entry visa, so she is allowed in the UK 180 days. 

180 days would be the 3rd June. 

So the question is... does your visa have to finish before 31st May to apply? 

Still trying to get through on the helpline. 

"but I often find UKVI guidance contradictory and/or confusing." 

YES!!! 

Would really appreciate any information, thanks. 

56 minutes ago, mesmos said:

Did you get any more clarification on this? 

My wife is on a multi-entry visa, so she is allowed in the UK 180 days. 

180 days would be the 3rd June. 

So the question is... does your visa have to finish before 31st May to apply? 

Still trying to get through on the helpline. 

"but I often find UKVI guidance contradictory and/or confusing." 

YES!!! 

Would really appreciate any information, thanks. 

Right now, the date is 31st May. That is also the date that visa have been extended to for current stays.

I am quite sure there will be an announcement if the situation regarding travel remains the same and all deadlines are revised.