Driving licence asked by police checkpoint

I suppose that for the majority of expats we have a Thai driving license, but I just wanted to say that this morning going from Lamai to Nathon I was stopped by a police checkpoint while I was wearing my helmet.

All that they asked me was my driving license, very first time in eight years in Koh Samui, I speak Thai enough to speak 5 minutes with the police, I told him it's the first time in eight years  I was asked me for my license, he told me now we're going to ask for them, "lai farang mai me" he saw in my wallet that I also had the one for the car, he put a thumbs up smiling, saying very good in English.

I allow myself to tell that because I do not know what would happen to the one who would not have his license and could he leave with his motorcycle not sure ? 

As in eight years I had never been asked for my motorcycle license in Koh Samui I guess I thought it was a good idea pointing it out to the members who are on Samui since talking with the police officer he told me, lai naktongtio mai me baikapkee now we were told to ask for it. ( all in Tai of course)

(it's anecdotal but I note that as soon as we speak Thai with them it triggers a smile and not the opposite as some like to tell us and probably they will say things in Thai that they would not have said in their three words of poor English) 

I already imagined that if they start asking for driver's licenses, they must surely not let someone who does not have a valid license leave with the same vehicle, since in the same time automatically he has no insurance.

So I thought if it can help some members knowing it so much the better. I must admit that even at my age I am still candid ????

Edited by Tchooptip
typo

22 hours ago, Pilotman said:

Anyone driving, or riding without a valid licence, and therefore  no insurance, deserves to get nabbed by the cops and have their vehicle impounded.  Its a pity that it doesn't happen more often.  It would get rid of the 12 year olds on bikes and Farmer Giles with no insurance and a clapped out pick up with no road tax. Oh, and idiot tourists, with no more sense than to hire a vehicle without holding a valid licence.   

well said !!

29 minutes ago, steelerian said:

Is the department of land transport open for new/renew licences during all this chaos? I think I was told that they are only open for tax and registration.

Can anyone confirm?

I went yesterday for my motorbike tax, yes they were open for the tax, but for new?renew licence I am not sure at all, because people must stay together for the colors and brake test, for paying the tax one people one minute at the counter not same!

I also got stopped and asked for my license a few weeks ago in Maenam, I was wearing my helmet, first time being asked for it in 16 years of riding on Samui.

Guess there are not enough tourists around not wearing helmets for them to fine so now they have resorted to checking licenses to get their money.

16 hours ago, philthebook said:

I also got stopped and asked for my license a few weeks ago in Maenam, I was wearing my helmet, first time being asked for it in 16 years of riding on Samui.

Guess there are not enough tourists around not wearing helmets for them to fine so now they have resorted to checking licenses to get their money.

The 'powers that be' have no experience in running an economy. The only way that they can see to raise cash is to beg, confiscate or fine.

• Like 1