Un-milled Thai rice fetches highest price in 10 years

rooster59

Thai-rice.png

The price of un-milled Thai rice, for the 2019-2020 crop year, has increased to between 10,800 and 11,000 baht per tonne, which is the highest in about a decade.

The higher price of un-milled rice this year is due to lower production, about 18.8 million tonnes against an original projection of 20.37 million, because of alternating drought and flooding last year, according to the country’s Rice Department.

The Ministry of Commerce, however, assured that there is enough milled rice for domestic consumption, estimated at eight million tonnes, with the remainder, about 7.5 million tonnes, destined for export.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/un-milled-thai-rice-fetches-highest-price-in-10-years/

thaipbs.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2020-04-19

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Grumpy John said:

Sounds good but that benefits the the miller/wholesaler.  The farmers price is what matters to farm families.  The price at the weighbridge where you sell your paddy/rice.  To harvest is say 550 baht/rai and the 6 wheel truck to take to weighbridge is 70 baht/ton....plus your growing costs!  The Chinese millers/wholesalers are making the big money....but somchai is scratching to get by!

PS: And what about the price of fertiliser?  The cost of production of fertiliser has fallen but the price remains the same!

Did it not say unmilled rice,i would take this to be the price the farmer would get for paddy as they call it or unmilled rice,please correct me if i am wrong.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The price of un-milled Thai rice, for the 2019-2020 crop year, has increased to between 10,800 and 11,000 baht per tonne, which is the highest in about a decade.

Fake news.???? 2014 received 19.50 baht per kilo.????It took a coup for the wife to collect.????

I know a couple rice farmers in the Korat area who told me that they could afford to put all their rice in storage for a higher price.  They say unmilled rice but to me the picture shows milled rice.  So these couple farmers will make more for their waiting to sell.  I forget the month of harvest.  The area was very dry and the one farmer said what I saw was 30 rai of rice and to me it sure wasn't all that much.  Did not ask about how man 100 kilo sacks there were.

5 hours ago, Bluetongue said:

Noticed the price steadily going up the last few weeks of both sorts we buy. Put it down to drought and Covid stockpiling, any nefarious theories?

Price gouging by the rice millers who've been sitting on tons of old stock.

5 hours ago, rooster59 said:

The Ministry of Commerce, however, assured that there is enough milled rice for domestic consumption, estimated at eight million tonnes, with the remainder, about 7.5 million tonnes, destined for export

Funny, I read that as domestic corruption. 8 million and 7.5 million is 15.5,  3.5 million short of the 18.8 million! I wonder where the 3.5 million went. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, rooster59 said:

I would not mind paying a higher price for quality food , ( not only rice ) , I only hope that the producers receive a good part of the higher price .

I do not want to eat food that has been produced using tons of pesticide .

I do not want to eat meat of animals that have been raised in horrible conditions and suffered until their cruel death .

If food prices go up farmers will hopefully earn more and can employ more people as well .

That would be a ' win win ' situation .