Hatari digital Fan HA s1602

Gandtee

I have a Hatari digital fan HA S1602 which has been on the blink and now given up the ghost. I'm not an electrician but I like to dabble and not throw stuff away. The circuit board shorted and I'm wondering whether I could put a dimmer switch in instead of the circuit board. Can I just join the red, brown and black wires which I assume are positive and the white wire which I presume is neutral to the dimmer switch. The colours are shown as red=high brown =medium and black low. The white, I'm guessing is neutral. I promise I won't electrocute myself.bea31b30e02931139e553d51a238c41a.jpg.4c8c254f3141eb3357e9296e68abe195.jpgsing. It's something to keep me occupied,

The red, brown and black wires are probably the three speeds to the motor.

Try connecting them one at a time to the incoming live (via a 2uF mains rated capacitor if you have one as a current limiter if I'm wrong).

Is the board definitely fried, I see a (probable) fuse at the top right.

It's also worth replacing the motor capacitor before doing anything else.

You may actually be able to get a replacement board at Amorn.

56 minutes ago, Crossy said:

Try connecting them one at a time to the incoming live (via a 2uF mains rated capacitor if you have one as a current limiter if I'm wrong).

Is the board definitely fried, I see a (probable) fuse at the top right.

It's also worth replacing the motor capacitor before doing anything else.

You may actually be able to get a replacement board at Amorn.

Yes, It's fried, I replaced the blown fuse and it blew again. Thanks for the suggestion Crossy. 

4 hours ago, Crossy said:

Which is correct.

They are directly connected to three triacs, which each are switched on the middle legs that's connected to the switching IC.

When the triac is conducting the wire is directly connected to the mains wire with only the fuse on its path.

No resistors nor capacitors, it is safe to say that they can be connected to mains directly.

If the breaker trips, the problem sits in the motor. If the fans works fine, then the problem is at the controlling side. Unless there is a picture of the components side, it is hard to tell where to look.

Even then, replacement of the board is more convenient for most situations.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Metropolitian said:

Question: do you have an multimeter and know how to use it?

If yes, can you measure here :

image.png.18efc24ae196ee2099359a9fd49a9922.png

There is an component which catch surges (mov) to protect the board.

If it is failing, it is possible that it is conducting and causing your fuse to blow.

No. I don't know how to use a multimeter but I can see where the short has occurred. I will order a new board and hope delivery will not be hampered by the present day situation. Thanks to all those who took time to answer my question. Much appreciated. 

• Like 1