Koh Samui and the virus: Foreigners apologize for handout mistakes but remain undaunted

webfact

8 hours ago, connda said:

Amazing how Thailand actively looks for way to put foreigners in a bad light. 

Yep, and if you watch the thai news, which yes can give you a headache, they have been doing it for twenty years now ? week in week out.

Sorry  2000-1997= 23 years.  

• Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2020 at 6:25 PM, Knocker33 said:

The only way I can see its putting Thailand in a bad light. Is that it left to foriengners to hand out the free food and not the thais.

I imagine there are many rich Thais on Samui who benefit from these poor migrant workers. 

Shame on them for snitching

WELL SAID. The Thais on Samui have been, IMO, ripping off tourists for decades and getting very rich. Why is it up to farangs to do what the rich Thais should be doing? This is something the island authorities should be doing, and taxing the rich Thai residents to pay for.

They have been exploiting immigrant workers and getting rich off them, they should be supporting them now.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
On 4/22/2020 at 1:25 PM, Knocker33 said:

The only way I can see its putting Thailand in a bad light. Is that it left to foriengners to hand out the free food and not the thais.

I imagine there are many rich Thais on Samui who benefit from these poor migrant workers. 

Shame on them for snitching

WELL SAID. The Thais on Samui have been, IMO, ripping off tourists for decades and getting very rich. Why is it up to farangs to do what the rich Thais should be doing? This is something the island authorities should be doing, and taxing the rich Thai residents to pay for.

They have been exploiting immigrant workers and getting rich off them, they should be supporting them now.

'Shame on them for snitching' not really. Many Thais are desperate and they get paid to 'snitch'! Desperate people do desperate things.

To thaibeachlovers - I see a lot of angst in your comments. Something on Samui has pxssed you off.

This is not a Samui problem. It is a problem across Thailand. Too few people pay taxes and social security. Yes, I pay both for me and my staff. Many foreigners - not just farangs -  work here tax free (illegally). Many retirees live here and pay no taxes. Central or local.

The country has no social support structure. Too many people working in the 'grey' economy.

Many local people here on Samui are helping the poor - of any nationality. They just do not appear on Thai Visa.

A minimart near me has had a 'free food larder' for over one month. Anyone can take the food if they need it. Yes - the owner of the minimart puts food in it as well as others who donate food.

But these things do not sell newspapers.

My goodness. Always this bashing. I am wondering why some users are still here in Thailand. It is great what the Farangs did but they also have to follow the laws and regulations. It is that simple. And it is not the first example where the authorities complained about bad organization and ask the people to inform them if they want to donate anything this way. 

• Thanks 1

On 4/22/2020 at 4:42 PM, samsensam said:

well intentioned people failing due to lack of planning and organisation, they should have thought through the process of distributing the food. the authorities should have been contacted and asked to help.

I think that you may have that the wrong way around.

IMHO it should have been the authorities supplying and distributing the food  at their expense and then there would not have been a problem at all.

That would probably never happen though.

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 8:30 AM, Somtamnication said:

Agree with social distancing issue. But, police get involved? Xenophobia towards the migrants? Ridiculous way to approach this hunger problem.

If not the police, then who? Would you like to volunteer?

43 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

To thaibeachlovers - I see a lot of angst in your comments. Something on Samui has pxssed you off.

He's always been like this. No doubt angry with Samui as he's been priced out of the place as he made the mistake of retiring before he had the financial stability to do so.  He's had it in for everything he cant afford and anyone that can for over 10 years now.

Edited by Kananga
  • Like 1

Just now, Salerno said:
On 4/24/2020 at 7:35 AM, LomSak27 said:

Sorry  2000-1997= 23 years.  

Try again :coffee1:

The genie of (modern thai) nationalism was uncapped, post 97, when a person & party needed to blame the economic meltdown on something, but not those who actually took out non performing loans, milked it, and blew things up. A scapegoat had to be found, what better way than to use one which incorporates traditional xenophobic tendencies?! 

And from that time, it's easier to use a color scheme;

It originated in red, to win the government, it magically morphed to yellow and finally green,  because all the other groups who have ruled the Kingdom, have found it useful - emphasis added. Nobody has put the genie back in the bottle. It is far too useful.  

8 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

There are many other islands, broaden your horizons, don't' live in the past. This might help :thumbsup:

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/

• Confused 1