China eases Thai fruit jam by opening two more border points

webfact

China eases Thai fruit jam by opening two more border points

By THE NATION

800_aa3c103103ec4d5.jpg?v=1587624259

China has opened two more border points for the transportation of Thai fruits during the Covid-19 crisis, reveals Department of Agriculture director general Sermsuk Salakpetch.

The move came after the existing Youyi Guan checkpoint on the Vietnam border was overwhelmed with 15-kilometre-long queues of Thai and Vietnamese goods vehicles.

The department, together with National Bureau of Agricultural Commodity and Food Standards, had earlier raised the border-traffic problem with the General Administration of Customs of China (GACC).

China responded by opening the Dongxing and Pingxiang border gates in Guangxi for imports of Thai fruits from the Vietnamese side.

The former has capacity to serve over 2,000 trucks a day, while the latter allows the fruits to be transported by train.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30386615

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-04-23

So Thai registered trucks are driving through Vietnam all the way to the Chinese border? Somehow I doubt this, and that Thai trucks are actually being reloaded in Laos onto Vietnamese or Lao registrations and then driven through northern Vietnam to the Chinese border.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, drbeach said:

So Thai registered trucks are driving through Vietnam all the way to the Chinese border? Somehow I doubt this, and that Thai trucks are actually being reloaded in Laos onto Vietnamese or Lao registrations and then driven through northern Vietnam to the Chinese border.

I can drive my pickup into Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam & China as I have a passport for my Thai registered pickup.

So I think that truck  can do the same. ???? 

• Like 1

Vietnam is where it is at.  

8 hours ago, drbeach said:

That sounds plausible.   Can't see any of Thailand's neighbors being that conciliatory other than Burma perhaps.  We know how the Thai government acts when it wants something or has the upperhand. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ratchaburi said:

I can drive my pickup into Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam & China as I have a passport for my Thai registered pickup.

So you have a driving licence for China then do you? I ask because I know that foreigners cannot drive there without one. Which also means that Thai truck drivers couldn't either of course.

• Like 1

Send in the Fruit Trucks I say.

If the Chinese people are chomping down on Fruit from Thailand, they are less likely to want to eat all kinds of other " exotic " foods from their Wet Markets, that can fly, swim, walk or crawl.

This greatly reduces the chances of Covid 20

• Like 1

13 hours ago, drbeach said:

maybe, but was that clearly stated in the original article, and if so was it correctly translated into english?

The move came after the existing Youyi Guan checkpoint on the Vietnam border was overwhelmed with 15-kilometre-long queues of Thai and Vietnamese goods vehicles.

original meaning could be "trucks carrying goods of thai and vietnamese origin."

it is also plausible that thai or vietnamese licensed trucks and drivers are permitted into china, but only within a few kilometers of the border, allowing access to railheads and container transfer facilities.

4 hours ago, ratchaburi said:

Have you driven your truck to these countries? Doesn’t sound like it.

A car passport is only valid for Laos. You need a seperate letter translating your number plate to take a Thai car into Malaysia and Singapore. 

Thailand doesn’t have an agreement with Cambodia, but you can usually get your car in at both the o’smech and Trat crossings (the latter for a 200 baht a day free). 

Vietnam and China won’t let Thai cars in. Vietnam because they are right hand drive and China requires you to have a registered tour guide. As a result only caravan tours are the only cars which make it. 

5 hours ago, ratchaburi said:

The Vietnam borders are locked tight closed nothing in!