What is known about quarantines?

EbhB

No one knows for how long this will last, and anyway there is a good chance that a state quarantine might be here when arriving for a long time - maybe even October 2021?

Asked my father in law who is a general about these matters when I came back here early February, the state facilities were apparently in place even then - guess there are plans for these things, of course.

What I am curious about are things like this:

• Is it possible to get some information about what "rights" one has before leaving the country with a plan for returning?
  • Sharing rooms is pure insanity, is it possible to get some info and "guarantee" to avoid this?
  • Would bringing a LOT of things like medication and food be allowed? (In my case I basically NEED to be on a very tailored diet to stay healthy, if I was forced to eat say western style food for a couple of weeks that might even lead to hospitalization on its own...)
  • The virus DOES spread via air ducts and so on, is this something that is taken into consideration?
  • Are there any solution for choosing the quarantine setup before going through immigration? If the routine itself is kept up, there should be some alternatives for those who want to spend some money I guess - might even be the case now, although perhaps kept quiet?

I have no illusions when it comes to states & "rights", this is just like being recruited into an army, we are "owned" by the states at this point - but that is precisely why good intelligence, especially from within "the system" can be extremely valuable ????

Crowdsourcing & "reverse-engineering" what is going on is the thing!

• Haha 1

These days, and maybe for the next few months, travel seems unwise, unless one were a solo navigator on a sailboat, someone like Joshua Slocum, a man who sailed single-handedly around the world at a time before the Wuhan Virus was covered up in China by Xi.

If I were to be quarantined, then I would prefer to be self-quarantined with fast internet so that I could continue to work. Without work, life is a drag.

In Thailand, quarantining is better than most places I would imagine, just due to the food and so many people smiling behind their masks.

One less-pleasurable place to quarantine would be in China, for example, or maybe some countries in Africa, or maybe India, even though the food in India with its vindaloos is amazingly tasty.  India has such a vast variety of different cuisines that one would not be bored for long.

There is an article written by a journalist recently concerning his experience quarantining in Thailand after returning by land from another country.  He provided mostly rave reviews of the food and the care and consideration provided by people staffing the quarantine facility.  And, after quarantining, while leaving the facility, the staff members all clapped loudly.  He felt like a celebrity.  I am sure you can find the article if you wish, just by Googling for a few clicks with your mouse.

Maybe the worst thing about quarantining in any facility is that one must relinquish one's independence and become reliant on others for all one's requirements.

Still, the author of the article I referenced above stated that the beds in place at the facility were all completely new.

Whenever I travel and must stay in a hotel, I never forget to take along my down pillow with pure silk embroidered pillowcase.

I can't sleep without it.

Edited by JohnBarleycorn
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

The Thai Govt gets a bad rap from many on this forum, and I also  have had a pretty negative views on the current regime.
However I have to say , given my colleagues experience, described above, plus other things I have heard, the medical leadership in this country seem (to me) to have handled this crisis as well as could be expected.

Edited by wordchild
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, wordchild said:

A colleague of mine is going through this right now. He is in his 2nd week with 3/4 days left to go. 

He can not leave the room, other than for medical tests. His food and new sheets, towels etc are left in a box just outside his door.

its not great, but he seems to have survived ok and it really helps that he is in central BKK and , at the least, he gets to wave at the wife and kids on a daily basis.

I see, thanks a lot!

Right now I think I would be toootally OK with something like that! ????

Would simply do a lot of reading, meditation & trading the insane "markets" we have now hehe...

Strange times indeed...

22 hours ago, EbhB said:

I see, thanks a lot!

Right now I think I would be toootally OK with something like that! ????

Would simply do a lot of reading, meditation & trading the insane "markets" we have now hehe...

Strange times indeed...

Imo, you're overthinking it. Why talk about 2021 when it's only April 2020? Just sit tight and wait it out. You seem like a worrier. 

27 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Imo, you're overthinking it. Why talk about 2021 when it's only April 2020? Just sit tight and wait it out. You seem like a worrier. 

Weeeeell, normally I'm also the one that see things coming from faaaar away!

October 2021 has so far come up from quite diverse sources, so maybe there is some chance that severe restrictions might last until then?

"Reading" and evaluating what is going on is in my experience possible, thats why I'm 40% in gold & silver now with around 20% up ????

Sitting tight and waiting anything out? Thats what most people back in my home country do, they won't do a single thing on, or for their own until everything comes tumbling down...

When it comes to quarantines and so on, it doesn't really cross my mind at all - BUT now & then I do want to know where we are at, so that I'm not just caught completely unprepared if I have to act on something!

Edited by EbhB
Clarity

Some countries will handle quarantines and lock-downs better than others since these are similar to martial law, curfews and house arrest.  Thailand is familiar, so is China, Iran, even South Korea.  

Western countries are the real outliers as they are not at all familiar or welcoming of these and as time passes (and initial fear wanes), you will see more unrest come from them.  US protests over lock-downs are an example.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2020 at 6:37 PM, EbhB said:

No one knows for how long this will last, and anyway there is a good chance that a state quarantine might be here when arriving for a long time - maybe even October 2021?

Quarantine arrivals in October 2021? Not going to happen. If quarantines are still happening in October of 2021, discussing travel would be pointless, as airlines will no longer exist.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

Some countries will handle quarantines and lock-downs better than others since these are similar to martial law, curfews and house arrest.  Thailand is familiar, so is China, Iran, even South Korea.  

Western countries are the real outliers as they are not at all familiar or welcoming of these and as time passes (and initial fear wanes), you will see more unrest come from them.  US protests over lock-downs are an example.

Yup... Happy that I made it out of the West in time, and that was something I talked about WAY before this virus-thing came around!

The West is done for, doomed, been like that for a long time...

15 hours ago, timendres said:

Quarantine arrivals in October 2021? Not going to happen. If quarantines are still happening in October of 2021, discussing travel would be pointless, as airlines will no longer exist.

Exactly, this is something that might well happen...

Some means of transport will be available, though, some people will arrive on planes - even if an economy seat is 5-10x the price it was previously!

We'll just have to wait and see, and act accordingly. Here there will at least quite likely be some food, some social fabric that lasts longer than in the West, and hopefully some way of staying here for the few that has chosen that over going back into the madness...