Which hospitals are doing serology/antibody tests?

Mama Noodle

I realize that many hospitals in Bangkok and surrounding provinces are doing testing for a steep price, but I am particularly interested in hospitals that are doing antibody tests. 

I know its early in the testing phase but id like to take an antibody test. 

Anyone have any info?

Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin were advertising this on facebook :

covid-test.png.2f489d490dd705e80bd79674ee0e1c22.png

2000 Baht doesn't seem like too much and if it's available in Hua Hin I suspect it will be available at other branches of the same hospital.

I wonder if anyone has had one done and what the result was.

Edited by ukrules

1 hour ago, ukrules said:

Bangkok Hospital Hua Hin were advertising this on facebook :

covid-test.png.2f489d490dd705e80bd79674ee0e1c22.png

2000 Baht doesn't seem like too much and if it's available in Hua Hin I suspect it will be available at other branches of the same hospital.

I wonder if anyone has had one done and what the result was.

I'm curious about this as well.  My fear is they are presenting it as a Covid-19 test, and might not distinguish between someone who has previously been infected and now has antibodies and someone who is currently infected.  And then you end up in quarantine because you had it 2 months ago...

56 minutes ago, tlock said:

I'm curious about this as well.  My fear is they are presenting it as a Covid-19 test, and might not distinguish between someone who has previously been infected and now has antibodies and someone who is currently infected.  And then you end up in quarantine because you had it 2 months ago...

Lol, It's listed as an IgM/IgG test, this is a blood test so it won't show up any live case of the disease even if you did have it right now. If you want a swab test for the active virus it's very different and a lot more expensive!

I do share your concern about their reaction if they find out you've already had COVID and recovered from it.

What would they do? Is it notifiable?

What would they do if you haven't left the country for many months, well before the Wuhan outbreak happened?

These are the questions which discourage me from going for an antibody test.

Some very good and justifiably paranoid (this isn't Kansas) thoughts about the pros and cons of walking in to an antibody test here.

I have two more!

Apparently at this point in time these antibody tests can be very unreliable and tend to show a high number of false positives.

Well who cares if it was about a past infection?

Well I think people getting a positive antibody test would tend to feel they can take more chances because they probably have some immunity. But not if they got a false positive result. So it could backfire.

Going anywhere near a hospital now especially for any Covid services if you don't really need to could expose you to infection at the hospital. 

59 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Lol, It's listed as an IgM/IgG test, this is a blood test so it won't show up any live case of the disease even if you did have it right now. If you want a swab test for the active virus it's very different and a lot more expensive!

I do share your concern about their reaction if they find out you've already had COVID and recovered from it.

What would they do? Is it notifiable?

What would they do if you haven't left the country for many months, well before the Wuhan outbreak happened?

These are the questions which discourage me from going for an antibody test.

I could be wrong, but I thought you could have antibodies while currently infected in addition to after having recovered, and TIT so...

3 hours ago, Jingthing said:

Well who cares if it was about a past infection?

Im kind of looking ahead and thinking about possible ways to be one of the first back into the workforce once international travel restrictions are lifted. By job requires constant international travel. 

And I'm just plain curious. For 2,000 baht I could take 3 tests if test accuracy was an issue. 

5 hours ago, tlock said:

My fear is they are presenting it as a Covid-19 test, and might not distinguish between someone who has previously been infected and now has antibodies and someone who is currently infected.  And then you end up in quarantine because you had it 2 months ago...

3 hours ago, tlock said:

I could be wrong, but I thought you could have antibodies while currently infected in addition to after having recovered, and TIT so...

These are also my top concerns but Im thinking about pursuing this once the interprovincial travel restrictions are lifted. I figured a call to the hospital and they could explain their policy 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, tlock said:

In South Korea, "at least 222 people have tested positive for the virus again after recovering"

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/04/coronavirus-quandary-patients-south-korea-200426235141488.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2020 at 2:59 PM, Puccini said:

In South Korea, "at least 222 people have tested positive for the virus again after recovering"

Source: https://www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2020/04/coronavirus-quandary-patients-south-korea-200426235141488.html

All found to be false positives.  Nobody has as yet caught Covid-19 twice, meaning as normal with an RNA virus, once you had it once you get immunity.

• Like 1

Please keep listing them down as they become available.

Not seen any advertised in the South or North East yet.  Checked with Bangkok Hospital Udon Thani and Khon Kaen, both replied in process of setting up but not yet available.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Has anybody done one of these tests yet?

I'd like to find out what their reaction is when they find someone who's full of antibodies and obviously caught it locally months back.

Not yet, Im patently waiting for more restrictions to relax. 

Gonna make damn sure of the procedure first though. 

• Like 2

I did it.

Just be very clear that you want the antibody test to see if you had it a long time ago and you have no symptoms now.

They were very inquisitive as to why I wanted it, I simply said that the tests are now available and accurate so I want to know if I had it at any time from December last year until now.

My result was negative for IgM and IgG so I have never had Covid-19.

Bit of a blow, would much prefer to have had it already and got it out of the way and had a bit of paper to say so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

I did it.

Just be very clear that you want the antibody test to see if you had it a long time ago and you have no symptoms now.

They were very inquisitive as to why I wanted it, I simply said that the tests are now available and accurate so I want to know if I had it at any time from December last year until now.

Bit of a blow, would much prefer to have had it already and got it out of the way and had a bit of paper to say so.

Interesting, the problem is - the tests that are available are apparently very far from accurate until about 1 week ago where a new generation of lab tests with very high accuracy have been launched, in the US and UK / Europe.

I won't be going for a test until it's one of the new generation of 99.x% accurate tests

Edited by ukrules

12 minutes ago, RR2020 said:

I did it.

What hospital, and how much was it? How long ago did you do it? 

I would  like to undergo such a test with the proviso it was considered 90% + accurate.

For  quite some time now I have come to suspect I and many others  around  me have  been subjected  to an early milder variant of Covid-19 that  moved through Thailand before identification.

That could explain the lower statistical incidence of later cases which can be attributed to offshore arrivals who consequently  cross infected previously non exposed locals with a  more virulent  mutative form. Those already and in the  majority unwittingly having  acquired a degree of immune resistance even to a that new variant not so  vulnerable at least in the  shorter term. Not  dissimilar to influenza where either by vaccination or primary infection usually provides some better immune response to new variants.

On 5/12/2020 at 10:59 AM, RR2020 said:

All found to be false positives.  Nobody has as yet caught Covid-19 twice, meaning as normal with an RNA virus, once you had it once you get immunity.

If dead virus fragments are causing false-positive test results, then isn’t it possible that many of the people who have tested positive while being asymptomatic, have actually already recovered, and are now immune?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

What hospital, and how much was it? How long ago did you do it? 

I used the Ratchapruek in Khon Kaen.

Total cost was 1750 baht (The test is around 1200 then plus fees etc..).

Took 1 hour.

20 minutes for the registration then see the doctor, take the blood and wait 40 minutes for the result.

• Thanks 2