Thinking about buying this used car Mercedes Benz C200

NCC1701A

1 hour ago, Pravda said:

I used to think that.

Than I married into a woman with a car ????

Now I can't be arsed to go to big C 200m from my condo if my wife doesn't drive me there.

And lets not forget BTS and covid. From your previous posts you seem to be extremely paranoid about covid, so a man who is 100 years old like yourself has a lot to be concerned about.

And sure.... 20,000 baht salary a month is not enough these days. You are expected to drive a nice car too. Just imagine her joy when you park at Samyan Mitrtown where she will be snapping her photos from parking all the way to PAUL. Instagram uploads are sometimes more important than rice. 

Oh, I recommend Ashton condo. Even it it is 30sqm, nobody has to know. It's all about facilities baby!

Bonne chance

My wife wants me to buy a Benz as well but not to go to PAUL hahaha....we know better places fortunately. I'm thinking of this one for a few days now.

Hymer stellt sein neues Top-Modell Hymermobil B-Klasse ...

2 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Why would anyone want a car in Bangkok? Also, second hand car prices for Mercs and BMWs seem extortionate. Just think what you could do with B750,000 in Nana Plaza???

He has money so I don't think that is a problem. And I always have a car to drive when I am in Bangkok visiting family. It is a must and a convenience.

Hi, depending on how long your legs are the C series are lovely cars, Which engine is it as the designations have changed alot it's probably a 4 cylinder 1.8 or 2.0 litre turbo I reckon. No real issues but i would look at the E series as it's simply has more room or if you want to feel at home on the motorway look at a C55 or E55 AMG coupe or sedan they're a supercharged 5.4 litre V8 pumping out about 450 bhp and very efficient....petrols cheap or Even an S55 or 63. The prices are all across the board and you can research any reliability or issues easily.

I've had a few and presently have a 1993 500 SEC coupe....big 2 door comfy autobahn cruiser just because I can. Don't need to justify anything go for the best car that suits you with the biggest engine ( cubic inches & big litres rule).... How about a Z4 beemer 3.0 M power or M5 ? 

I would recommend looking for a one owner car with full service records as they're typically more well maintained and avoid anything thats been converted to LPG/NVG.

Tires are not an issue it's what you prefer but avoid going cheap on tires due to the ride quality and durability ( I live in Hua Hin and the roads are <deleted>) so I stick with Michelins About 26000 a set..

35 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The Japanese and Koreans do much better than copy European cars, they now slaughter them on reliability and cost. As for performance, if I had the driving skills I'd take a Nissan GT-R every time. None other than Jeremy Clarkson called it the best sports car in the world.

Total nonsense, pretty much every new car is reliable these days. It’s just a question of degree. 

You're obviously unaware that Maserati and Bentley routinely have slightly lower reliability figures.

Premium brands will always have slightly higher reliability issues simply because they include a great deal of new technology, which means that there is a lot more that can go wrong.

However what does go wrong with Mercedes is usually electronics, minor issues like warning pics lighting up when they shouldn't.

In terms of engines, Mercedes makes the best engines money can buy and they last a lifetime and often longer.

It's easy to make small and tiny cars that are not filled to the hilt with innovative and new electronics, of course they'll be more reliable.

But the pleasure of driving a Mercedes will never be replicated by a Lexus. I know. I owned both.

As for Jeremy Clarkson, guess which car he owns the most of? That's right, Mercedes. He has exclusively European cars, not a single Japanese car:

https://www.hotcars.com/25-cars-in-jeremy-clarksons-garage/

2 hours ago, Logosone said:

In terms of engines, Mercedes makes the best engines money can buy and they last a lifetime and often longer.

I beg to differ. I had a Mercedes with the so-called legendary W124 engine. I think the only legend it established was how often it needed to be in the workshop for repairs, which were usually carried out incompetently.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Honda Accord V6 has set records in America for engine longevity over the past decade.

IMO buying a Mercedes in Thailand is buying trouble. They may be OK being serviced by mechanics in Germany.

What's the prestige of a 200 series anyway? The Germans and Dutch use them for taxis.

This car is a Toyota Crown, hundreds of them in Yangon. The Burmese have been smart enough to import them secondhand from Japan, where they are forced off the roads after two years. I'd take one of these before an overpriced Merc any day of the week.

Be careful what you call total nonsense, because you are posting a fair amount of marketing BS yourself.

IMG20181116110826.jpg

Edited by Lacessit

36 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

What's the prestige of a 200 series anyway? The Germans and Dutch use them for taxis.

In Switzerland they use even ALL models (including S500) for taxis. Why do you think that is ? I am inclined to think it is partially for their comfort, maybe prestige, but as well for their longevity and associated low cost.

A friend of mine bought a Benz (something 200 Series) from a pensioner in Switzerland. For about THB 300K. Works well since years.

But maybe you were just unlucky with your Benz. Happens even with the best.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, moogradod said:

In Switzerland they use even ALL models (including S500) for taxis. Why do you think that is ? I am inclined to think it is partially for their comfort, maybe prestige, but as well for their longevity and associated low cost.

"Safety" is excellent as well!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

I found you ( NCC ) THE car that all the beautiful girls in Thailand dream of and it costs less than 750,000 baht ; 

as a bonus, it is already registered in Bangkok

1223941810_DSCN1986_Nong_Khai_2_CV6(Copy).thumb.JPG.c9bb52d034564f7b64b705d91a4c5748.JPG

Now that is a true classic ...  Drive that and you have real style and self confidence .. no need to hide behind a badge .... ???? ..

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I beg to differ. I had a Mercedes with the so-called legendary W124 engine. I think the only legend it established was how often it needed to be in the workshop for repairs, which were usually carried out incompetently.

If my memory serves me correctly, the Honda Accord V6 has set records in America for engine longevity over the past decade.

IMO buying a Mercedes in Thailand is buying trouble. They may be OK being serviced by mechanics in Germany.

This car is a Toyota Crown, hundreds of them in Yangon. The Burmese have been smart enough to import them secondhand from Japan, where they are forced off the roads after two years. I'd take one of these before an overpriced Merc any day of the week.

Be careful what you call total nonsense, because you are posting a fair amount of marketing BS yourself.

IMG20181116110826.jpg

Many EU countries use them for taxis because of the reliability. You had a Merc problem, nothing is 100%. 

My last UK car was an E220, couldn't fault it....

I have driven 4,6 and 8 pot Mercs over the years, would like one now....

4 hours ago, Logosone said:

Citroen DS is a dream car, that's just a joke car....

France makes wonderful cars, but I know somebody who almost died in the Citroen 2CV, it crumpled like paper. Driving that car in BKK would be akin to suicide. Better a super safe car like Mercedes.

Renault Laguna would also be a great car, very safe.

Almost, .... Well he did not die did he ????

The 2CV is no joke  ... ???? its real history ..

https://www.4roues-sous-1parapluie.com/en/page/the-history-of-2CV

21 minutes ago, transam said:

Many EU countries use them for taxis because of the reliability. You had a Merc problem, nothing is 100%. 

My last UK car was an E220, couldn't fault it....

I have driven 4,6 and 8 pot Mercs over the years, would like one now....

Can't say I have ever had a problem with any Japanese make I have owned - Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Mitsubishi.

GTR is awesome but very expensive in Thailand, W124 is a chassis designation not an engine designation and the Toyota Crown is a great car, are they available here ? I had a beautiful 2016 Honda Accord Hybrid with the CV transmission. Nice ride with all the stuff copied from Benz but the CV Transmission sucks in my opinion and alot of torque steer with the engine mounted sideways ( easier to build with the transmission and front suspension installed as a unit but horrible handling.)  so I sold it and replaced it with the old Benz. Good old Mercedes V8 and tons of parts still available...

6 hours ago, Surelynot said:

Driving in Bangkok is a nightmare................Nana Plaza? Spend all my money there 555

If driving is nightmare, then Public transport & taxis must be Hellish. Unless you only go to popular attraction, in some part of Bangkok regardless how much you could spend on taxi you can't find any in rush hour.

Rely on public transport in Thailand = Often left stranded, maybe stranded in rain, left sober, then take a sardine can bus without aircon, then get insulted by some rude old women who fights you for seats, get dropped midway because various reason, finally arrived home by two-row minivan or mototaxi 3 hours later. And of course if you bought some heavy stuff you have to carry all the way by hand and pay 3 baht extra to two-row minivan. 

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMG20181116110826.jpg

I don't know, maybe you put Kangaroo oil or Wallaby saliva in that engine, but the W124 was an absolute masterpiece and automotive history:

"Much of the 124's engineering and many of its features were advanced automotive technology at its introduction, incorporating innovations that have been adopted throughout the industry. It had one of the lowest coefficient of drag (Cd) of any vehicle of the time."

The rear suspension of the W124 featured the Mercedes multi-link axle introduced in 1982 with the Mercedes W201 and which is now standard on many modern cars.!

The engine, the M103 a brandnew construction and was another masterpiece " fuel injection was standard, and the engines incorporated features that maximized performance. The most notable such feature was the addition of an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system which, in conjunction with a semi-electronic fuel injection system, could make the engine run more efficiently. This improved fuel consumption while simultaneously meeting stricter emission regulations. Mercedes-Benz's four-wheel drive system, the 4Matic was first introduced on the W124 in 1987."

The M103 motors was one of the quietest 6 cylinder motors ever built. It became one of the most developed motors Mercedes ever built. Because it was a brandnew constsruction there some issues with the camshat which were rectified after 1988. After 1988 the engine was perfect and became one of the longest-lived motors ever built. But yes, the fuel injection pump and ignition did continue to cause issues.

Nonetheless, it performed so well in the extreme heat of India that the Indians insisted on producing it for years after it was phased out.

As was pointed out that car was the vehicle of choice for Taxis in Central Europe for decades, you still see them today. Are you sure that wasn't a KIA with a Mercedes badge attached?

I have to admit the Honda Accord new version is a very fine car in its top spec, love that car. However the Renault Laguna is very reliable, the Renault engine is legendary as well, if I could get a Renault I would prefer Renault.

A Toyota Crown? Rather than a Mercedes? I hope that's a joke. The Crown, like the first Lexus was just a copy of a Mercedes.

A Mercedes is not overpriced, it is the pinnacle of automotive excellence, and people like Toyota or Honda have merely copied Mercedes shamelessly. The Lexus guys have no shame in admitting this.

The day I'd get a Toyota Crown rather than a Mercedes is the day hell freezes over.

1 hour ago, rvaviator said:

Almost, .... Well he did not die did he ????

The 2CV is no joke  ... ???? its real history ..

https://www.4roues-sous-1parapluie.com/en/page/the-history-of-2CV

No, he was a 2CV convert and claimed that car saved his life.  Looking at how that car ended up looking I'm not so sure.

Personally I was really embarassed to drive in the 2CV, yes it's a classic, but it's a horrendous car.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I don't know, maybe you put Kangaroo oil or Wallaby saliva in that engine, but the W124 was an absolute masterpiece and automotive history:

"Much of the 124's engineering and many of its features were advanced automotive technology at its introduction, incorporating innovations that have been adopted throughout the industry. It had one of the lowest coefficient of drag (Cd) of any vehicle of the time."

The rear suspension of the W124 featured the Mercedes multi-link axle introduced in 1982 with the Mercedes W201 and which is now standard on many modern cars.!

The engine, the M103 a brandnew construction and was another masterpiece " fuel injection was standard, and the engines incorporated features that maximized performance. The most notable such feature was the addition of an oxygen sensor in the exhaust system which, in conjunction with a semi-electronic fuel injection system, could make the engine run more efficiently. This improved fuel consumption while simultaneously meeting stricter emission regulations. Mercedes-Benz's four-wheel drive system, the 4Matic was first introduced on the W124 in 1987."

The M103 motors was one of the quietest 6 cylinder motors ever built. It became one of the most developed motors Mercedes ever built. Because it was a brandnew constsruction there some issues with the camshat which were rectified after 1988. After 1988 the engine was perfect and became one of the longest-lived motors ever built. But yes, the fuel injection pump and ignition did continue to cause issues.

Nonetheless, it performed so well in the extreme heat of India that the Indians insisted on producing it for years after it was phased out.

As was pointed out that car was the vehicle of choice for Taxis in Central Europe for decades, you still see them today. Are you sure that wasn't a KIA with a Mercedes badge attached?

I have to admit the Honda Accord new version is a very fine car in its top spec, love that car. However the Renault Laguna is very reliable, the Renault engine is legendary as well, if I could get a Renault I would prefer Renault.

A Toyota Crown? Rather than a Mercedes? I hope that's a joke. The Crown, like the first Lexus was just a copy of a Mercedes.

A Mercedes is not overpriced, it is the pinnacle of automotive excellence, and people like Toyota or Honda have merely copied Mercedes shamelessly. The Lexus guys have no shame in admitting this.

The day I'd get a Toyota Crown rather than a Mercedes is the day hell freezes over.

The W124 I got was <deleted>. Hell would freeze over before I bought a German make again.

19 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

If driving is nightmare, then Public transport & taxis must be Hellish. Unless you only go to popular attraction, in some part of Bangkok regardless how much you could spend on taxi you can't find any in rush hour.

Driving in Bangkok is not an issue, just don't get in a rush, the problem is parking! especially if you don't know the area you are going to, near impossible in many places! Bangkok must have some of the worse designed car parks, when you can actually find one, in the world!

11 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The W124 I got was <deleted>. Hell would freeze over before I bought a German make again.

You're making that <deleted> up. No German car has ever performed as bad as you claim.

Don't believe a word of it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

You're making that <deleted> up. No German car has ever performed as bad as you claim.

I often go this site for insider info...

google; 'hoovies garage Mercedes'

- if/when there's a weakness in a model - he has encountered it!

55 minutes ago, Logosone said:

I could post all the invoices I shelled out cash for, but I think I've thrown them out as a bad memory.

Let's consult the memory cells - exploded radiator fan, violently jerking automatic transmission. Stuck electric window. All expensive fixes. Broke down once in traffic, towed to a Benz dealership that "fixed" the problem by installing a new alternator. Broke down again and had to be towed 25 km to another Benz dealership. By that time, I was just happy to sell it to anyone who would take the piece of s##t off my hands.

You weren't there. I was. Now get back to your apparent function of shilling for overpriced, unreliable vehicles.

I suppose you are not aware of the time not so long ago a certain BMW model had a defect list that occupied 36 pages.

• Like 1

How much are they giving you for the Enterprise in exchange?

The way things are going there could be a recession in the not too distant future. Due to lockdown affecting business, Thais are hurting financially, so there could be a lot of used cars going cheap soon.

Make sure it has a service history and the mileage is genuine. If it has been serviced by Benz they will have a record of this in their computer.

Benz is expensive and complex to repair. So many look for a good non franchised mechanic as a Benz dealer will rip you off.

Accident damage is common and often covered up with a bodge.

Check registration book has no finance company stamp in it. If buying privately, check name in book matches seller's ID.

Buying a used car in Thailand is a nightmare. If you don't know about cars, take someone with you who does.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I could post all the invoices I shelled out cash for, but I think I've thrown them out as a bad memory.

Let's consult the memory cells - exploded radiator fan, violently jerking automatic transmission. Stuck electric window. All expensive fixes. Broke down once in traffic, towed to a Benz dealership that "fixed" the problem by installing a new alternator. Broke down again and had to be towed 25 km to another Benz dealership. By that time, I was just happy to sell it to anyone who would take the piece of s##t off my hands.

You weren't there. I was. Now get back to your apparent function of shilling for overpriced, unreliable vehicles.

I suppose you are not aware of the time not so long ago a certain BMW model had a defect list that occupied 36 pages.

You're just a Cheap Charlie trying to rationalise why you would buy one of the tin rice bowls from Korea or Japan.

Yah, transmission was an issue in the earlier models, stuck electric windows, please, you said that the engine was faulty. That's very unlikely with that particular engine, provided it was post 1988.

I would never buy BMW, everyone knows Mercedes is the best car in the world, except for possibly Porsche.