Buriram opening up: But you'll need a special sticker in your passport from May 1st

rooster59

26 minutes ago, Ventenio said:

I live on the border.  TESCO and Macro are in another province. I go there, 14-day quarantine, shop, go home, 14-day quarantine, go back.

Just think, your frozen veg would have melted by the time you get home!

Edited by sungod

32 minutes ago, Susco said:

In case nobody had noticed yet, this is the more worrying thing.

You can be assured that the alcohol ban is extended nationwide after 30 April

Now I have no idea what will happen as of the first of next month (nor does anybody else unless they own a crystal ball) but lifting certain restrictions is partly about getting as many people back to work as possible. The alcohol industry employs thousands of workers throughout the country. I'm not on about the bars, nightclubs and restaurants here but the people who work behind the scenes in the breweries and distilleries, the delivery drivers who drive the length and breadth of the country everyday and the countless small, independent village shops who rely on selling alcohol just to make a living. To extend the ban again would be a huge call from the government partially as it was never based on any real credible logic in the first place. 

This the most ridiculous thing I have read in my 33 years here in Thailand. Is it just a new rule off the top of someones head? Has it been thought out? Doesn't look like it, or if it has lets have some details in full

What happens with all the deliveries to Tesco. Makro and every other shop, which come from another province. Will the delivery drivers have to be quarantined for 14 days?  What about those that live close to the Buriram border, that either need to enter Buriram for a hospital appointment, or leave the province for a similar reason? I could go on and on................................

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

It looks like the alcohol ban in Buriram and other Provinces will continue indefinitely. Not good for the alcohol dependents.

Lockdown + Boredom + Home Confinement with Wife and/or Kids + NO Beer.

Difficult and unpalatable times ahead for many!

21 minutes ago, time2093 said:

They should name that part of Thailand to kingdom of Buriram as they want to make their own silly laws and regulations. Next thing you know you need a special visa for falang to get in.

That is the whole democratic point......................provincial governors CAN make their own rules to suit local circumstances. I suspect that if something was too outlandish the government would sort it out.

Remember, in some areas entry is not allowed.

I have the sticker, it is attached to the front of my Pink ID card, it was issued by the Phu Yai Ban. If I had not had an ID card it would have been attached to the outside of the back cover of my passport.

It is similar to the stickers on products, it cannot be removed in one peice and reapplied. However removal would be simple without damage to the passport.

As for how the system of entry/exit for the Province will work I have no idea.

I was informed that should I leave and return to Buriram I would be required to undertake 14 days quarantine at a local facility (not at home which I did after returning to Buriram on the 19th March).

Also informed that the alcohol ban will not be.lifted on the 1st May.

• Thanks 2

This is the sort of <deleted> that happens when you are in a country that refuses to test people because it costs too much

Checkpoint -

- do you have CV-19

- No

- How do you know you don't have

- I have a sticker

- when did you get the sticker 

- two weeks ago

?

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

This the most ridiculous thing I have read in my 33 years here in Thailand. Is it just a new rule off the top of someones head? Has it been thought out? Doesn't look like it, or if it has lets have some details in full

What happens with all the deliveries to Tesco. Makro and every other shop, which come from another province. Will the delivery drivers have to be quarantined for 14 days?  What about those that live close to the Buriram border, that either need to enter Buriram for a hospital appointment, or leave the province for a similar reason? I could go on and on................................

You are over-thinking the whole thing in a negative way.

The whole scheme is 'selective'. Farang at one end and Thais wearing ties and in nice cars at the other. Delivery drivers in the middle.

@prakhonchai nick: Where is my sticker supposed to go. On the PR book? So fine. I get to a checkpoint and as a farang I am expected to have a passport and a sticker. What do those manning the check point do? They won't have a clue. They will make phone calls here there and everywhere and nobody will be any the wiser.

5 days left for a re-think and abandonment of this unworkable scheme.

What about when they staple something to a passport page! Is that not illegal?

Edited by owl sees all

It is highly illegal for anyone except an immigration officer to put any stamps, stickers, writing or deface in any way a passport. People have ended up inside with big fines for doing it.  Put the sticker on a copy of your passport. If they have a problem with that then who gives a toss about going to Buriram !!

44 minutes ago, BigBadGeordie said:

It is similar to the stickers on products, it cannot be removed in one peice and reapplied.

What about 'steaming'. Could that not remove the sticker? If 'steaming' could work it would make the sticker transferable. Could even send it through the post to another person.

• Sad 1

This springs to mind :

Don't let anyone meddle with your passport which should be stored safely at home at all times and not carried about with you.

If you lose your passport now, how easy would it be to have it replaced right now during the pandemic?

Next there will be a crack down down on damaged or modified passports.  Many countries already don't allow entry with passport irregualarities.   Very recently there was an article where someone was refused entry to a country (can't remember which) as their passport contained a novelty stamp from Macchu Picchu.  Can't see how this would be any different.

7 hours ago, JoePai said:

Be sure any sticker is on the outside of your Passport - do not (ever) allow any non immigration stickers on the inside pages

Yes indeed, when borders reopen and you decide to visit another country, such a sticker on the inside pages may get you a refusal of entry (defacing a passport). Quote from The Telegraph (UK):-

"But be warned: tampering with this official document carries risks. Tina Sibley, a British passport holder, got a nasty surprise recently when she tried to board a Qatar Airways flight in Thailand using a passport that contained a novelty stamp"

She was not allowed to fly

7 hours ago, spiekerjozef said:

I think that is a actually a very good idea to start opening up.

I agree , I also think it;s a good thing, perhaps not perfect but a start. 

why the negative reaction, Perhaps I am missing something but how is it a bad thing? 

I had a call from the wife to meet her at the poo Yai ban's house to have a sticker placed on my pink card in Buriram as someone mentioned it would be better if you don't have a card putting it on your licence would be more practical . 

Edited by wozza
Typo