Follow the science....

cornishcarlos

3 hours ago, Logosone said:

So study after study confirms that Vitamin D levels make a difference to treatment of Covid 19, now it looks as if it may influence who gets the virus:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8277775/People-low-levels-Vitamin-D-likely-die-COVID-19-infection.html

Of course if that is the case, if sunshine and Vitamin D play an important role, then keeping people cooped up inside and out of the sun was the worst possible idea.

Been taking 10k IU of liquid vitamin d every day since this started.

• Like 1

Just now, vermin on arrival said:

Been taking 10k IU of liquid vitamin d every day since this started.

Turns out that may be a great idea.

I'm going shopping for salmon, sardines and eggs.

I had doubts about Vitamin supplements but in the case of Vitamin D I'll make an exception.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

These two  people are not qualified to discuss infectious disease at this level.  They  did not disclose their financial interest. They own a clinic that was forced to close and  they can no longer access their medicaid/medicare patients and profitable income. No more "pain relief" prescriptions etc.

Since when does someone have to be qualified to discuss something?

This board might be interested to know that a live stream is scheduled for tomorrow at 2300hrs Thai time (starts 2hrs earlier with background) on LondonReal.tv. The last one a fortnight ago vanished (from FB, YT etc) as soon as it had aired...

(They have a YT channel too but it's often purged as explained).

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Peter Denis said:

In another thread @Misty posted the link to this long but well-researched and interesting article in The Atlantic

> https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

Good overview and commentary from different angles.  Worth a read...

If you get a chance, check out also Ed Yong's other COVID19 related articles published in The Atlantic.

• Thanks 2

The above article from the Atlantic is excellent. Thanks @Misty and @Peter Denis

This is a paragraph from near the end.

"The coronavirus not only co-opts our cells, but exploits our cognitive biases. Humans construct stories to wrangle meaning from uncertainty and purpose from chaos. We crave simple narratives, but the pandemic offers none. The facile dichotomy between saving either lives or the economy belies the broad agreement between epidemiologists and economists that the U.S. shouldn’t reopen prematurely. The lionization of health-care workers and grocery-store employees ignores the risks they are being asked to shoulder and the protective equipment they aren’t being given. The rise of small anti-lockdown protests overlooks the fact that most Republicans and Democrats agree that social distancing should continue “for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus.”"

Be weary of people who suggest there are simple answers to this problem.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

Edited by chessman
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think he's saying how the heck does the author of the article presume to know what most people in the US think about the lockdown!

Thanks for helping me with that. If you click on the link, it leads to an extensive morning consult/Politico poll. Polls are generally how we learn about what people think about issues, no?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

3 hours ago, chessman said:

Your other points, I didn’t fully understand. I put quote marks around the quote I used. The mis-spelled sentence was my own.

I think he's saying how the heck does the author of the article presume to know what most people in the US think about the lockdown!In other words the article is in support of the lockdowns and the author thinks he's cleverly disguising this fact with fancy literary tricks.

Thank you !   i really was too lazy to explain   555    The "fancy literary tricks" that you can observe put you in a very elite group here on TV.    

It is a major weapon in MSM  to get their agendas into the brains of the people.

( not that it is never used by others as well  ????

1 hour ago, chessman said:

Polls are generally how we learn about what people think about issues, no?

Polls are what people commission to get their message across... Remember all those polls with Mr P being the favourite person in Thailand !! Bought and paid for..

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, cornishcarlos said:

Polls are what people commission to get their message across... Remember all those polls with Mr P being the favourite person in Thailand !! Bought and paid for..

Did you read the article? Did you look at the polls? They polls are publishing their methodology, it is a bit different from Thai polls.

CB51D1D5-D752-4454-AC14-280C8A132568.png

• Like 1

Did you read the article? Did you look at the polls? They polls are publishing their methodology, it is a bit different from Thai polls.

CB51D1D5-D752-4454-AC14-280C8A132568.png

Interesting.  Not many choices there.  The methodology doesn't offer what is likely to happen in the next few weeks which is stepped reopening of selected business and application of addition preventative measures hoping this works to curb any explosion of the virus.  I wonder how many would have voted for something in between the two choices.

25 minutes ago, jimmybcool said:

Interesting.  Not many choices there.  The methodology doesn't offer what is likely to happen in the next few weeks which is stepped reopening of selected business and application of addition preventative measures hoping this works to curb any explosion of the virus.  I wonder how many would have voted for something in between the two choices.

The booklet with the polls is almost 400 pages and they are asking many questions. They are also doing new polls every week, some questions are the same and some are different.

• Like 2

The booklet with the polls is almost 400 pages and they are asking many questions. They are also doing new polls every week, some questions are the same and some are different.

Ah.  I assumed the poll was limited to the choices shown.  I think if given 3 choices of

stay locked down,

open with cautions,

open totally

that the majority would vote the middle ground.  Of course I am not qualified to operate a legitimate poll and find out.

7 hours ago, chessman said:

Did you look at the polls

I was replying to your comment "polls are generally how we learn what people think", which is why that is what I quoted.

Polls are generally rigged in favour of who sponsors them.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chessman said:

Thanks for helping me with that. If you click on the link, it leads to an extensive morning consult/Politico poll. Polls are generally how we learn about what people think about issues, no?

No. Polls tell us a/ what the people asked think and b/ depend on the questions being asked.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think he's saying how the heck does the author of the article presume to know what most people in the US think about

the lockdown!  In other words the article is in support of the lockdowns and the author thinks he's cleverly disguising this fact with fancy literary tricks.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/archive/2020/04/pandemic-confusing-uncertainty/610819/

Imo the author of this interesting article looks at the issues at hand from different (scientific) angles, so worth a read. 

As far as I can see he is not pushing any political agenda, and even if so he did bring a couple of interesting takes to the issue.

Don't know how the discussion diverged towards polls, but that's a totally different topic and obviously more opinionated (there is no such thing as an 'objective' observer).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I think he's saying how the heck does the author of the article presume to know what most people in the US think about the lockdown!In other words the article is in support of the lockdowns and the author thinks he's cleverly disguising this fact with fancy literary tricks.

Edited:  I see this has already been covered above. My apologies for not reading through the entire thread before posting below.

Here's how:  See the link in Ed Yong's article, or click on the words "most Republicans and Democrats agree" from his article:

The rise of small anti-lockdown protests overlooks the fact that most Republicans and Democrats agree that social distancing should continue “for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus.”

The link takes you to a US National Tracking Poll.  You can see the polling results there - results on many social distancing questions.  Flip to the table on page 109, "Americans should continue to social distance for as long as is needed to curb the spread of coronavirus even if it means continued damage to the economy" and you can see the support for the author's statement.

image.png

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Logosone said:

I'm thinking of getting Vitamin D supplements myself, cod liver oil.

Also will continue eating canned Sardines with baguette, and make red curry salmon.

The reason why Sweden has such high levels of Vitamin D is because they eat a lot of fatty fish.

I advise everyone to take vitamin D, vitamin C and zinc during the time of the pandemic. There are many lines of evidence that vitamin D boosts our immunity against influenza. Asst Prof Patana Teng-umnuay MD PhD

https://www.thephuketnews.com/healthy-habits-who-telling-the-health-truth-75934.php?fbclid=IwAR3-czFAzJsGzS_RB-Dv0vpGPoeBqTsl7ECulTqeDZWtzzlSGyxNCin65I8

16 hours ago, chessman said:

I agree no!Polls are unreliable,alterable,influenced and not worth the space they take up!They may give an indication of some but the author presumes to know what most are thinking do you see the difference?If you don't see the difference then perhaps you believe what you read?I do not believe what I read,they are just stories written mostly by people.These days you can't even presume that a person wrote something and not a program.