Pattaya Beach Being Washed Away Again

Banana7

18 hours ago, Banana7 said:

The erosion shown in the photos has nothing to do with breakwaters and groynes. The erosion is caused by rainwater overflow from Beach Road.

Isn't that one thing the new drainage should take care of? 

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The beach sand that is washed into the sea by the outflows of storm water  can be made to settle in the bay, and then redirected  back to the beach if strategic breakwaters and groynes direct the currents.  Many beaches worldwide are treated in this way, if they don't have naturally returning currents, due to natural rock features close by,  as are a good number of beaches in the UK. The interesting thing here is that Rayong beach has breakwaters  that work very well.  Why didn't they just look up the road? 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/518125132100214460/

https://www.travel-in-portugal.com/photos/beach-groynes-air.htm

As much as I hate groynes as they spoil the beach 'atmosphere', you are right. Better to have a beach with them than no beach.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GreasyFingers said:

As much as I hate groynes as they spoil the beach 'atmosphere', you are right. Better to have a beach with them than no beach.

I agree, but they were good fun when we were kids, crabbing, or jumping off them. Had quite a few barnacle grazes from doing that 

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The beach sand that is washed into the sea by the outflows of storm water  can be made to settle in the bay, and then redirected  back to the beach if strategic breakwaters and groynes direct the currents.  Many beaches worldwide are treated in this way, if they don't have naturally returning currents, due to natural rock features close by,  as are a good number of beaches in the UK. The interesting thing here is that Rayong beach has breakwaters  that work very well.  Why didn't they just look up the road? 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/518125132100214460/

https://www.travel-in-portugal.com/photos/beach-groynes-air.htm

Yes but you mai kaojai! If sand not wash away, how we get our xx% for reprace it? How I get to be one of the 20 hiso big too ask for help? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Pilotman said:

I agree, but they were good fun when we were kids, crabbing, or jumping off them. Had quite a few barnacle grazes from doing that 

We had rock shelves between our beaches. Fishing, catching octopus by hand for bait. And plenty of grazes as some of it was very slippery.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

There are plenty around if they wanted to find one.  Cardiff University has a whole Department. As I understood it, Bangkok University Department of Oceanography advised Pattaya on the solution.  It was their idea to add beach but not breakwaters or groynes. 

Bangkok University doesn't have a Department of Oceanography (or any department of that nature).

Edited by KhaoNiaw
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, KhaoNiaw said:

Bangkok University doesn't have a Department of Oceanography (or any department of that nature).

Chula University - Aquatic Resources Research Institute perhaps, they dabble in some Oceanography.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Don Mega said:

Chula University - Aquatic Resources Research Institute perhaps, they dabble in some Oceanography.

okay, but someone in the Thai University system was reported as advising the authorities. Not that they did a good job.  

Edited by Pilotman

5 hours ago, jesimps said:

Trouble with the Thais is that, like the roads, they won't take advice from experts from countries who've already cracked the problem. I assume it's all to do with face. Also, for those with a suspicious mind, the more often that a job is done, the greater the money that's going to roll into the pockets of certain people.

Great post, 3 of the most boringly overused clichés squeezed into 4 lines,

I'm surprised the dual suspects didn't flock to like it.

Edited by shy coconut

17 hours ago, Pilotman said:

There are plenty around if they wanted to find one.  Cardiff University has a whole Department. As I understood it, Bangkok University Department of Oceanography advised Pattaya on the solution.  It was their idea to add beach but not breakwaters or groynes. 

They do their work on Wangerooge, Frisian islands, northern Germany,

germany-lower-saxony-east-frisia-wangero

• Like 1