Guttering for foam sandwich roofing panels

bradiston

I'm having a new roof installed on my "Thai style" villa. So there are 5 sloping rooves. The roof panels have gone in ok, but now we are into the guttering stage. The guttering comes in 4m lengths, but there are no instructions as to how to fit a downpipe. The end piece is simply an open on one side box, which my builders have figured out they need to cut and splice, then rivet onto the actual guttering. It's messy. And it leaks. I suppose most would say silicone us the answer but these gutters are about 9m up and a metre out, so maintenance on them will be a major chore, so the less the better, and my experience with silicone is, it has a limited lifespan.

Has anyone any experience with this kind of roofing system? I've watched all the manufacturer's videos, but they seem to shy away from explaining how the guttering has to be installed. Trade secret I guess.

TIA

21 hours ago, bradiston said:

The guttering comes in 4m lengths, but there are no instructions as to how to fit a downpipe. The end piece is simply an open on one side box,

It’s a really really good idea to give enough information for helpful replies.

What material is your gutter? There are quite a few to choose from and the answers are mostly different for different materials

Sorry, I should have uploaded an image. So here's a shot of the guttering as supplied. It's upside down. Seems like the builders have devised a method using rivets and silicone to fashion an end section, and a down pipe connector. I just wondered if anyone else had come up against a similar problem when using foam panels. They are simple to install, but the guttering not.

20200421_085740.jpg

There is another component which consists of a rectangular metal box designed to form the end stop. It has to be cut and fitted, then riveted on. It just struck me as odd they couldn't provide a preformed stop end, or a down pipe connection section. Sorry to trouble you all.

17 minutes ago, bradiston said:

There is another component which consists of a rectangular metal box designed to form the end stop. It has to be cut and fitted, then riveted on. It just struck me as odd they couldn't provide a preformed stop end, or a down pipe connection section. Sorry to trouble you all.

That kind of gutter is usually soldered rather than riveted. The heat from soldering it will burn off some of the coating but that should then be painted with a bitumen paint.

57 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Sorry, I should have uploaded an image. So here's a shot of the guttering as supplied. It's upside down. Seems like the builders have devised a method using rivets and silicone to fashion an end section, and a down pipe connector. I just wondered if anyone else had come up against a similar problem when using foam panels. They are simple to install, but the guttering not.

20200421_085740.jpg

The sheet does not appear to be have a coating suitable for hot iron soldering which would make riveting with sealant the best option.

46 minutes ago, longball53098 said:

why not find a local gutterman as they know what they are doing,,,,,,,,,,the builder you have has no clue it seems.

These are local builders. I live on a very small island. There is a limited supply of all round experience. Although it causes me many sleepless nights, my experience has always been in the past that the Thais and Cambodians do find a way, and do make a decent job of it in the end.

Just on one final note. If riveting and silicone is the way to go, any suggestions for the most durable silicone or other sealant? I really don't want to be running annual maintenance on this job. Could I use No Nails? It has amazing adhesive properties, but as a sealant, I'm not so sure.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Fruit Trader said:

The sheet does not appear to be have a coating suitable for hot iron soldering which would make riveting with sealant the best option.

The exterior is a zinc plating so it’s definitely possible to solder on that surface, not ideal but possibly 

2 minutes ago, bradiston said:

Just on one final note. If riveting and silicone is the way to go, any suggestions for the most durable silicone or other sealant? I really don't want to be running annual maintenance on this job. Could I use No Nails? It has amazing adhesive properties, but as a sealant, I'm not so sure.

If you are going with riveted then using a bitumen tape on the inside will be far better than silicone as the silicone will fail in time.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, sometimewoodworker said:

If you are going with riveted then using a bitumen tape on the inside will be far better than silicone as the silicone will fail in time.

Is that double sided bitumen tape?Any recommendations? Seems an excellent suggestion. There's a lot of choice on Lxzxdx, but mostly all in Thai.

4 hours ago, bradiston said:

Is that double sided bitumen tape?Any recommendations? Seems an excellent suggestion. There's a lot of choice on Lxzxdx, but mostly all in Thai.

No. It is a single sided tape with aluminium on the back. I bought mine from one of the usual places Global House, DoHome, Thai Watsadu etc. I’ve used it to waterproof a leaking steel roof by putting small squares over each screw, I’ve used it on my PVC gutter to waterproof bends cut into the profile, I’ve used it to add sound and heat reduction on the inside of my basic pickup. It comes in silver or brown.