So in fact, everyone is just traveling where ever they want?

NCC1701A

7 hours ago, faraday said:

"Here endeth the Lesson today from Father Yai"

lic

Not wearing masks in the UK though....

No, but it is now law in Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic - and across Asia.

Maybe they are smarter than the UK?

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

ok i am serious now. anybody else traveling around? 

i am thinking the Thais could make a lot of money with a underground version of AirBNB. 

why would they need an underground version when you can use the real site? 

• Haha 1

A friend last week took a domestic flight to Bangkok.  Then, a taxi to Pattaya where he lives.

He did have to go thru checkpoints and had to show his passport, rental agreement, copy of landlords ID and her phone number.  I think is only applies to Chonburi as they have been trying to allow only residents and workers in.

If you drove to Bangkok I think you will be OK.

• Thanks 1

Thais just get on with it, go where they want and don't ask for permission.

If they get stopped, they either make up some story, pay the "fine" or turn around.

We come on here, announce where we want to go, procrastinate about doing it, get abused by the "stay homers" and probably go anyway...

Well I don't cause I'm stuck on a boat ????

4 hours ago, elwood said:

I listen to all the scientific and medical advice and make my own mind up. When I arrived back in the UK with suspected Covid 19 it seemed clear to me that whether or not a mask would prevent someone from getting Covid 19, itmay help stop people with the virus from spreading it through coughing and sneezing - it certainly wouldn't harm others.

Whatever your government advises, as an adult, you also have the ability to make your own decisions. When those decisions impact on other people though - that ability changes to responsibility. We are not lemmings - just because others are disobeying the rules, we don't have to follow.

Edited by KhaoYai

Travelled up from Hua Hin to Surin yesterday in private car. Hwy 9 to BKK, East Ring Road up to Hwy 1 then to Saraburi, Hwy 2 to Hwy 24 to Prasart then Surin. Departed 0630 Arrived 1700. Total five check points only one manned, waved through, they were pulling trucks and pickups and speeders. I was surprised at heavy car traffic on Hwy 1 and 2. Traffic on Hwy 24 very light no BIB. Ate at a gas ration restaurant serving spaced tables and again at rural restaurant. Almost all folks masked. Staying at our usual hotel in Surin. Their restaurant is closed and occupancy few. Travelled ONLY to transact a property sale before return to UK.

• Thanks 1

Thailand is based on the Honor system!  but there isn't any real honor.  Enable for something to work smoothly everyone must be on the same page here there is no communication between province just like the immigration rules you don't really know until you do it?????

On 4/28/2020 at 10:41 PM, NCC1701A said:

am i now living in my own version of The Truman Show? 

At least it's your own version... part of the problem w/getting out is that everyone else is quarantined... 

Use this for your theme music...

"gray skies are gonna clear-up.. put on a happy face..." 

Edited by kenk24
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, elwood said:

No, but it is now law in Germany, Austria, Slovakia, Czech Republic - and across Asia.

It is not law in Germany to wear a mask.

No federal law has been passed, only the states have introduce rules that masks are to be worn on public transport and when in shops. There are many regional variations and mass confusion. Because the evidence on masks is of course very weak. The UK is absolutely right not to bother to introduce a mask duty.

"The government’s scientific advisory group for emergencies (Sage) met on Tuesday to review the evidence on wearing face masks. The Guardian understands that the group is split on the best policy to adopt because the evidence is so weak."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/apr/21/scientists-join-calls-for-uk-public-to-wear-homemade-face-masks-outdoors

Having looked at the evidence myself I am clear that there is not enough evidence to justify wearing a mask. I won't be wearing one when shopping in Thailand.

Edited by Logosone

On 4/28/2020 at 10:33 PM, NCC1701A said:

yes and a few days ago i noticed a lot of cars now on the main highway here in Hua Hin. I was thinking where are all these people going? 

i have been avoiding the checkpoint just north of HH on the south side of the highway only because i did not want to explain that i just made a uturn a from Makro and that i live here bla bla bla.  

I understand my license plate says PKK on it and I just ASSumed I would be busted right away if I went a few kilometres further into Ratchaburi. 

Technically I can't travel to Cha Am right? I don't have a reason and it is another province. But a Thai friend called me and said look I am at the beach.   

Everytime I've traveled through that checkpoint North of Hua Hin, the officers that man it have had their noses in the trough.  No stops or checks.  Just drive through.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Logosone said:

It is not law in Germany to wear a mask

The first European country to make wearing masks mandatory in supermarkets, pharmacies, and public transport was the Czech Republic on March 18.

Slovakia followed suit on March 25, and in an attempt to dispel away the stigma associated with face masks, President Zuzana Caputova wore a red one that matched her dress during the swearing-in ceremony of the new government.

On March 29, Bosnia and Herzegovina made it mandatory for its citizens to wear a face mask or a cloth covering their mouth and nose while walking in the streets or outside their homes.

On April 6, Austria also made masks mandatory in public spaces, with Chancellor Sebastian Kurz acknowledging that wearing them would require a "big adjustment" because "masks are alien to our country".

In North Africa, Morocco made wearing face masks mandatory on April 7, with the government warning anyone who fails to comply faces a prison sentence of up to three months and a fine of 1,300 dirhams ($130).

On the same day, Turkey ordered all of its citizens to wear masks when shopping or visiting crowded public places. The country has surpassed Iran in becoming the heaviest affected nation in the Middle East, and the government said it will deliver masks to every family free of charge.

On April 16, the Ministry of Health in Poland made covering the face with either a mask or homemade piece of fabric such as a scarf mandatory. This applies to green areas such as parks and beaches as well as public places such as roads, squares, religious facilities, commercial facilities, and marketplaces.

On April 21, Jamaica imposed a series of new coronavirus restrictions such as a revised curfew and also made it mandatory for citizens to wear a face mask in public spaces.

On Wednesday, Germany became the latest European country to make the wearing of face masks compulsory when on public transport and while shopping in all of its 16 states.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HHTel said:

Again, this is not a federal law, this is merely regional states putting in place rules that masks are to be worn only on public transport, in shops and the like.

So only in certain circumstances. It is perfectly legal not to wear a mask in public in Germany if you are not on public transport or shopping, depending which state you are in.

The duty to wear a mask only applies in certain circumstances, such as when in public transport or shopping varies by states because it was imposed by regional states but not at the federal level.

Totally legal not to wear a mask outside public transport and shops.

Edited by Logosone

On 4/28/2020 at 10:15 PM, Surelynot said:

... Restaurant is open and people sitting inside and outside in family groups, multiple couples. Very few bothering with masks.

With all the COVID shamers, government informers and snitches on here, you just spread too much info.

• Haha 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:45 PM, ukrules said:

I went to Villa Market a few days ago, I notice that they are running low on some imported food items.

I like the Oscar Mayer sliced turkey, none of that left at all.

"Oscar Mayer" ... probably just changed the name

On 4/28/2020 at 10:54 PM, NCC1701A said:

if he can go, why can't i go on a secret mission and just stay with a friend? no hotel. 

i could use grab taxi door to door.

Rules are made to be tested and broken when they are 'just so wrong'.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, kenk24 said:

At least it's your own version... part of the problem w/getting out is that everyone else is quarantined... 

Use this for your theme music...

"gray skies are gonna clear-up.. put on a happy face..." 

I'm pretty sure no-one is quarantined, unless they have just returned to the country...

On 4/28/2020 at 10:09 PM, champers said:

Girlfriend's son came to Pattaya today on a bus from Ekkamai bus station. No problems.

I saw a video filmed a few days ago of the ticket window for Pattaya being closed, and the narrator said there were no buses to Pattaya. So it seems to be a very recent opening up. So much for the Pattaya lockdown. Another U-turn?

19 minutes ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Rules are made to be tested and broken when they are 'just so wrong'.

And that is a major problem in Thailand. There is a law against so many things but, as they are rarely or impossible to enforce and often make no sense at all, everyone ignores them. The problem is that that attitude spreads like a cancer throughout society and leads people to ignore every law.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

Correct - self-isolating is better said... "don't get around much anymore." 

There are no restrictions on going out, apart from 10pm-4am....

Gathering in groups is not permitted though...

Same as during the post coup period, Mmmmmmmm....

• Like 1

On 4/28/2020 at 10:52 PM, jvs said:

I have been home for most of the past month but last week i needed to go to Hua-hin to take care of some business.

The check point north of HH was manned but the just let us go.

Had to go back yesterday and the same thing happened,nothing.

My plates are Phetburi so they could see i was crossing into another province.

My take on this?Both provinces have not had any new cases so everybody is starting to relax.

I can totally understand that.What i kind of found strange is that people on motorbikes were also allowed to pass as long as they are wearing a mask,helmets seem to be optional.

I must say a car ahead of us (from Bangkok)was stopped and temperature was checked.

How do you wear a mask with a full face helmet? That does the job for you.

Crossed a provincial border west of Bangkok a few times. One of the checkpoints had separate lanes for its own license plates and ones from out of town. No one seems to pay attention to that at all though. I've seen some being pulled over but most fly through without even slowing down.

• Thanks 1