Modem Appears To Abruptly Hang-up.

tomx2

Hi.

I use AT&T dialup to log into my I.E. browser.

For the past 8 days, my connection to the internet will discontinue after

2-3 hours.

AT&T (my provider) check my settings and claim everything is ok and suggest

I buy a new modem.

I use windows XP home edition. My modem is Conexant Soft56k Modem Driver.

The driver date is 3/6/2002 version is 5.3.3.0.

Question:

1.. Is there anything else I can check/or do on my PC.

2.. If I have to purchase a new modem, should I get the same version and

date or an update version.

3.. Where is the best place to purchase this version online.

Thanks.

Tom.

I commonly experienced this on dial-up in Thailand, in particular if the call is going via a pbx or phone system in an apartment, and not a direct line. Althought I have not used dial-up for many many years, I found it common for the condition of the telephone line to deterioate over time.

The work-around I used was to have two dial-up connections bridged together on unlimited dial-up plans set to re-dial whenever a connection was dropped. This allowed for continuous use of the internet without interruption, but unless you are staying in your own place and can order your own phone lines, it may be difficult to get a second line into your place.

I commonly experienced this on dial-up in Thailand, in particular if the call is going via a pbx or phone system in an apartment, and not a direct line. Althought I have not used dial-up for many many years, I found it common for the condition of the telephone line to deterioate over time.

The work-around I used was to have two dial-up connections bridged together on unlimited dial-up plans set to re-dial whenever a connection was dropped. This allowed for continuous use of the internet without interruption, but unless you are staying in your own place and can order your own phone lines, it may be difficult to get a second line into your place.

Here's a funny thing. I was on vacation for 2 months, never had a problem before. When I came back, problem started. I looked out my window and notice alot of bird S**T on my window ledge around the telephone line.

But if the birds are screwing up my line, then I shouldn't have any telephone connection with the phone. But I can still make telephone calls when the connection is dropped.

If you have to purchase a new modem look around at what kind of deal you can get from broadband companies. These days its often the same or cheaper to get high speed as dial up, and that includes a modem from many providers.