I have free electricity for 3 months (April, May, June)

AndyAndyAndy

On 4/29/2020 at 3:20 PM, AndyAndyAndy said:

3 adults living here, normal stuff like fridge, fans, TV, computer, lights etc. Just no aircon. Sometimes children come to holiday or something, then it goes to ~850 baht. Sometimes only 2 adults stay, then it goes to 650 Baht.

Post a bill!!! My bill's over 300 and I'm not even there - that's just the fridge and 2 low energy security lights.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, Max69xl said:

A ridiculous answer. The reason is that you don't need an air-con in most countries in Europe,and those are not normally installed. My guess is you're a cheap charlie and can't afford an air-con. Every normal person uses an air-con on and off when it's hot. Who wants to go to bed when it's 28-30°C at night during the hottest period? 

I do.  NEVER use aircon. You are never going to defeat nature adjust and live with it if you are living in TL. Thai do it so can I (70 YO Chiang Mai)

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 2:37 PM, owl sees all said:

I'm out at the farm every day from about 3. 

Fresh air. Lovely. The ponds are a bit low so swimming is not an option; so it's a wash at home in the evening instead. I've never been a great sweater, so a quick pause in front of the fan - with shorts at knee level - sorts it for an hour or so.

Don't be such a wimp ChaiyaTH. Turn off the A/con. Save some money and donate the savings to the local home for unmarried mothers.

It's not about being a wimp; you said it yourself, you're not much of sweater so clearly your body deals with hotter temperatures better, while others do not.  That's not something you can always acclimatise, some people's bodies can run hotter, while other cannot.

Also, its not just about feeling comfortable. I sometimes sit right in front of the fan with the aircon off im im just mooching at home, but im still sweating. If I was to try and sleep this time of year without aircon it wouldn't be possible, I would sweat buckets in bed, probably couldn't actually get to sleep and would wake up dehydrated.

Same as in the morning, when I get out of the shower, if I dont have the aircon on im super hot while getting dressed and getting ready around the house. Without the aircon my work clothes would be drenched before I even stepped out of the house, let alone get to the office.

It's not about manning up, its about how your body deals with it, you cannot change that.

• Like 2

Weird how expats always talk about electric bills all the time and like to compare. Imagine going out with 'chums' in the UK or wherever and having a convo about electric bills? It must be the boredom of living here and not having too much in common with each other?

On 5/3/2020 at 7:11 PM, keithathome said:

I do.  NEVER use aircon. You are never going to defeat nature adjust and live with it if you are living in TL. Thai do it so can I (70 YO Chiang Mai)

Yes they don t use it as long as they are not staying in a condo that offers the possibility. LOL

On 4/30/2020 at 12:35 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Ours electricity bill is about 7000-10000 baht.

7AC’s in the house.

2 Run at night (Main BR and Son’s BR)

2 Run in the day time (main living room)

Also, Fridges, Oven, TV’s, Lights, Computers.

At the moment while it is very hot there is nearly always at least 2 AC’s running at anyone time,

Our electricity bill last month was 1,740 baht.

7A/C's, one not working and won't repair as no need for it in that area of the house.

Of the 3 bedrooms that we occupy, we only run the A/C's for 30 minutes at most, then turn the fans on as we have good insulation in the ceilings, last couple of hot nights, A/C's on for a little longer in one room

Never need to run them during the day, fans are moving cool air around due to the good insulation and 3 metre ceilings

2 fridges, 2 ovens, 3 TV's, LED lights, Computers

Our bills have never gone over 3,000 baht, and that's with A/C's pre insulation going all night.

I am thinking you have poor insulation, hence the reason for the A/C's going all the time, suffice to say if you have good insulation, somethings not quite right.

On 5/1/2020 at 8:08 AM, HashBrownHarry said:

I absolutely amazed by people that can live without A/C at this time of year, how on earth can that be comfortable? 

Sitting on stairs front 7/11 , the automatic door let them survive as when opening door let airco cool air flow on them probably ???? ...:tongue:

Edited by david555
  • Haha 1

I don't a get a paper electricity bill each month, the amount is debited straight out of my landlords account and I use the MEA app to see the total to pay him.

The app hasnt updated for last month and nothing has been debited from my landlord's account yet, yet it usually updates the app on the 23rd.

Seem some other users of the MEA app also haven't received a bill yet for last month, does any body know whats going on?

Shouldn't be free by my reckoning, as our bill is usually around 3000-4000 thb per month.

On 5/1/2020 at 11:40 AM, Max69xl said:

A ridiculous answer. The reason is that you don't need an air-con in most countries in Europe,and those are not normally installed. My guess is you're a cheap charlie and can't afford an air-con. Every normal person uses an air-con on and off when it's hot. Who wants to go to bed when it's 28-30°C at night during the hottest period? 

21743161_104380446947972_7338836098670610071_n.jpg

On 5/1/2020 at 12:07 PM, zyphodb said:

Easy, it's called acclimatization, (A posh word for getting used to it).

This only happens if you don't use air con much. I'd really struggle without electric fans though, hard to imagine living here without those. Air con I can take or leave...

spot on. the first year here i used no fan or air con,

i was outdoors almost constantly and delighted

i was finally having SUN. i just didnt sweat.

now i sit at the puter or lay down in bed most of the time and constantly

need a fan directed on me or i will sweat, and on occasion i need aircon

to cool down, im uncomfortable below 28c and above 32c