At Least 40 Killed By Flash Floods In Trang

george

At least 20 killed by flash floods in Trang

TRANG: -- At least 20 people were killed and many others went missing when they were washed away by flash floods at two waterfalls in this southern border province Saturday afternoon.

The flash floods occurred nearly the same time shortly after 2 pm at the Sairung Waterfall and Prai Sawan Waterfall about 4 kilometres away, both in Yan Takhao district.

Fourteen bodies were retrieved at the Sairung Waterfall and four bodies at the Prai Sawan Waterfall.

Officials said flash floods also occurred at the Lamplok and Tonetae waterfalls in Palian district. Two bodies were found at the Lamplok waterfall.

Sixteen people were initially reported missing at the Sairung Waterfall so two more bodies have yet to be found.

Officials said 10 tourists were injured.

Tourists to the waterfalls were caught off-guard by the flash floods and many could not get out of the waterways in time.

Local villagers said there were heavy rainfalls early Saturday morning.

Sompong Khaodee, a disaster mitigation official of Trang, said tourists at the two waterfalls noticed that water turned murky at about 2 pm and suddenly the flash floods ran down toward them.

He said some injured tourists were stranded on rocks and trees waiting for rescue by officials. They were expected to be rescued before dusk.

He said some 300 officials from several government agencies were rushed to the two waterfalls to rescue the stranded and injured tourists.

Officials called off the search at 7 pm and will resume the operations at 8 am on Sunday.

-- The Nation 2007-04-14

Dozens killed as flash flood hits southern Thailand

TRANG: -- At least 17 bodies have been found after a flash flood caused by unexpected torrential rains swept away dozens of tourists at two waterfalls in this southern province Saturday, local officials said.

At least 12 persons are still missing and many injured.

At the time the tragedy struck, about 500 tourists were visiting Sairung and Prai Sawan waterfalls in Yantakao district of Trang province, 680 kilometres (420 miles) south of Bangkok.

Trang Governor Anont Manaswanich mobilised more than 300 rescue workers to comb the areas to search and locate the missing. Search and rescue operations will continue through the night, he said.

The governor conceded that there were no loudspeakers to warn tourists of the looming danger in advance.

Trang provincial authorities have set up an emergency operations centre to facilitate the rescue activities and receive the bodies as they are recovered.

Bodies have so far been transported to Yantakao Hospital.

--TNA 2007-04-14

The death toll inches up with many more still missing:

Thailand flash floods kill 21

Bangkok - Flash floods swept over two waterfalls on a southern Thailand mountain on Saturday, killing at least 21 people and leaving dozens of others feared dead, officials said.

The tragedy occurred at the Sairung and Praisawan waterfalls in the Yantakao district of Trang province, 680 kilometres south of the capital, Bangkok.

Fifteen bodies were found at Sairung and six more at Praisawan, about five kilometres away, said Soralak Thiepwu, deputy chief of the provincial disaster prevention centre.

About 200 people were thought to have been at the sites when the flood occurred.

"We believe that the death toll will rise," said San Chantarawong, chief of the provincial disaster prevention centre.

The centre said the floods were triggered by three consecutive days of rain, which sent water racing down the steep Bantad mountain range.

Klinpaka Saengkul, a nurse and member of a recovery crew at Sairung, said she saw rescuers pull the bodies of three female victims from the water.

She estimated that dozens more remained missing.

About 120 people have been safely rescued from the water and from rocks on which they were stranded at Sairung, Soralak said.

"We do not know for sure how many people are missing, but believe that more dead bodies are still in the water in the jungles somewhere," Soralak said.

He said the search for survivors and bodies would become very difficult as night fell.

Such sites are more crowded than usual this weekend because Thailand is celebrating its traditional New Year holiday, when many Thais go to the countryside.

- Associated Press

At popular Sairung waterfall, where holidaymakers were picnicking and swimming, said police spokesman Anek Phangleesin.

Bodies and victims were swept down the river, smashing into trees and rocks along two other waterfalls. :o

The rainy season had not been expected for another two months and the revellers at the popular waterfall did therefore not expect the river to swell so fast, Anek said.

http://www.bangkokpost.com/topstories/tops...s.php?id=118089

Incredible! I`ve been to this small peaceful waterfall several times but I guess just like the wadis in the desert it can change it`s face very suddenly.

Weekend and songran combined obviously will have brought an very high number of visitors to the falls. What a tragedy :o

Slightly related but in the last hour the heavens have opened in the Si Sa Ket area. We have had several hot sticky days, just waiting for a storm. Tonight it has hit us.

Probably nothing like in Trang, but when the skies open here its pretty amazing how much can come down in such a short period of time.

...and the like tsunami, a precursory warning that something was amiss....

I must admit that I had to look at the date. I thought it was some old news that somehow had sneaked into my inbox. But, sadly not.

It has happened so many times and there has been talk about a warning system every time. As always, just talk. Now that there are 20+ dead again we will talk again.

.... and as was the tsunami, more and more bodies are being recovered

At least 23 killed by flash flood

30 still missing after mountain torrent sweeps away waterfall revellers

Raging mountain torrents killed at least 23 people as they were spending their Songkran holiday at crowded Sai Rung and Phrai Sawan waterfalls in this southern province. Run-off caused by heavy rain roared down from the Banthat mountain range to waterfalls where hundreds of tourists were bathing.

The flash flood carried the victims downstream, slamming them against rocks and drowning them, rescue officials said.

Continued here:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/15Apr2007_news01.php

*edit* Channel 3 news just reported 24 now dead.

Edited by sriracha john

...each successive news article reports a higher death toll :o

Flash floods in Thailand kill 27

BANGKOK - At least 27 people died Saturday and many more were missing after flash floods swept over two waterfalls in southern Thailand as revellers celebrated the Buddhist New Year, officials said.

The tragedy took place at the Sairung and Prai Sawan waterfalls -- where swimmers were taking advantage of the five-day holiday weekend -- in Trang province, some 700 kilometres (435 miles) south of the capital Bangkok.

"Many people were swimming when flash floods swept over the waterfalls. The floods came so quickly. It happened in just 10 minutes," said a local disaster prevention official, who declined to be named.

"At least 27 people were killed and a large number of people were still missing," the official said, adding he was unable to give an exact number of those unaccounted for.

When the flash floods struck the waterfalls, which are about five kilometres apart, there were some 100 holidaymakers at the popular sites, he said.

The weekend crowd was bigger than usual due to the Buddhist New Year holiday, which began on Friday, the official added.

"People were enjoying and relaxing at the waterfalls and they were totally caught off-guard by the floods," the official said.

Hundreds of rescue workers, including military personnel, local police and volunteers, were mobilised to hunt for the missing and to help survivors, a senior provincial official said.

"We are continuing our search and rescue operations," he said.

Most of the victims were women and children, a local hospital official said.

Several injured tourists were stranded on rocks and trees waiting for rescue workers, The Nation, an English-language daily, reported on its website.

The area had been hit by heavy rains since Thursday, local reports said.

- AFP

^ I'm afraid that will keep going like this for the next few days.

It won't be long for somebody to call urgent meetings and for even more urgent measures. Fortunately, I never watch TV, would only raise my blood pressure.

39 bodies found in waterfall tragedy in Trang

TRANG: -- A total of 38 bodies have been found so far at two waterfalls in this southern border province following flash floods Saturday.

Rescue officials found 28 bodies at the Sairung and Prai Sawan waterfalls on Saturday and found 11 more bodies on Sunday.

Another tourist was still listed as missing at the Sairung Waterfall Sunday afternoon, police said.

Police said most of the bodies were found at the popular Sairung Waterfall.

Deputy Interior Minister Banyat Jansena visited the Sairung Waterfall at 11:30 am Sunday.

He said the tragedy happened out of the blue and government officials had done their best to help the victims.

The deputy interior minister said he ordered the provincial administration to consider closing the waterfalls to public access for a while pending checking whether the areas would be safe.

The flash floods occurred nearly the same time shortly after 2 pm at the Sairung Waterfall and Prai Sawan Waterfall about 4 kilometres away, both in Yan Takhao district, on Saturday.

Officials said earlier reports that tourists were also washed away at the Lamplok and Tonetae waterfalls in Palian district were simply rumours. They said no bodies were found at the Lamplok waterfall as earlier reported.

Officials said at least 10 tourists were injured.

Tourists to the waterfalls were caught off-guard by the flash floods and many could not get out of the waterways in time.

Local villagers said there were heavy rainfalls on the mountains early Saturday morning.

Sompong Khaodee, a disaster mitigation official of Trang, said tourists at the two waterfalls noticed that water turned murky at about 2 pm and suddenly the flash floods ran down toward them.

He said some 300 officials from several government agencies were rushed to the two waterfalls to rescue the stranded and injured tourists.

Rescue officials carried out the search for bodies or injured tourists until 11 pm Saturday and continued the search Sunday morning.

Officials said 27 bodies have been identified so far.

Twenty-eight bodies are being kept at the Yantakhao Hospital pending reclaims by their relatives.

-- The Nation 2007-04-15

Trang waterfalls closed after flood tragedy

TRANG: -- Three popular tourist-destination waterfalls in the southern resort of Trang province have been ordered closed temporarily until an ongoing search for flash flood victims ends, Trang governor Anont Manaswanich said on Sunday.

Mr. Anont said the closure of the three waterfalls -- Sairung and Prai Sawan in Yan Ta Khao district and Lum Plok in Palian district -- will also allow geologists to inspect rocks in the waterfall's cascades which could have moved after Saturday's heavy rains, and be a source of further danger. He said the waterfalls could be reopened to the public later this month.

Saturday's heavy rain caused a swift and heavy water run-off from the Banthat mountain range to the waterfalls, carrying away many unsuspecting bathers in the pools beneath the falls. Thirty seven bodies have been recovered so far.

Deputy Interior Minister Banyat Chansena on Sunday travelled to Trang to inspect the work being carried out by rescue officials. He said the government would provide Bt15,000 compensation to the family of each death victim, but it could be Bt40,000 if the deceased heads a family.

The tragic incident in Trang has also prompted the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Office in nearby Nakhon Si Thammrat to urge people to stay away from swimming in the waterfalls in the province for the time being as the province was also hit by heavy rain throughout Saturday night.

--TNA 2007-04-15

This very storm moved eastward and hit us here in Vientiane early afternoon - I have never seen rain as heavy as it was. It basically flooded our land (currently building) and I had to out with a hammer and cold chiesel breaking draining holes in the base of the walls. It was like bursting a dam! The water was up beyond my ankles . .. . about 6 inches or more fell in less about 30 minutes! The 'road' (read dirt track) to our land was basically washed away as the land is on a slope - there was streams of water everywhere.

At a waterfall is the very last place you'd want to be when that kind of storm arrives. Very sad news and pictures.

Edited by technocracy

According to witnesses (according to the Channel 3 news yesterday and more than once on a few of the other channels)... there WAS warning. Local vendors were telling folks that the water was getting cloudy/murky and it was time to get out. But no, apparently sanuk was priority # 1. Common sense # 2. Many even stuck to their guns and stood in place so as not to lose their spots in the waterfall. That worked until the water got higher and higher and faster and faster to the point where they couldn't move that precious few meters to safety. The home video footage shown was rather dramatic, showing folks clinging to each other, parents clutching their children until they were all swept away.

:o

Might it have been possible to have saved 39 people's lives if this group hadn't been thrown out by the National Park???

Mr Thongchai, chairman of the Rak Sai Rung conservation group, said survivors had told him they did not get any warning from forestry workers. The villagers formed the conservation group eight years ago after a mountain torrent killed four tourists at the waterfall six years ago. The group had concentrated on issuing disaster warnings. This activity was suspended last year after conflicts with wildlife sanctuary officials over forest conservation and tourism management, he said.

:o

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/16Apr2007_news03.php

Edited by sriracha john

What happened to cause the influx of so much water?

Is there a dam upstream?

Sad day.

Who opened the valves-Thai, Burmese???? :o

I can assure folks that it was nothing to do with dams or anything else of human nature. It was purely a very powerful storm and force of nature nothing else.

Trang and Vientiane are basically on the same latitude as each other (give or take 0.03 degrees!) and like I said after a very hot morning on Saturday come approximately 2pm the heavens literally opened dumping a huge amount of water.

We would of got a lesser powerful version of what actually hit Trang as we got it a few hours after ...

Is there a dam upstream?

Sad day.

Who opened the valves-Thai, Burmese???? :D

I can assure folks that it was nothing to do with dams or anything else of human nature. It was purely a very powerful storm and force of nature nothing else.

Trang and Vientiane are basically on the same latitude as each other (give or take 0.03 degrees!) and like I said after a very hot morning on Saturday come approximately 2pm the heavens literally opened dumping a huge amount of water.

We would of got a lesser powerful version of what actually hit Trang as we got it a few hours after ...

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Trang is in the South of Thailand, some 1,600 kms distant (at a guess and without checking a map) from Vientiane, so for that storm to move from Trang to Vientiane in "a few hours", it would have to be moving at one helluva speed and most of southern, central and northeastern Thailand would now be laid waste! :o

Whe're you getting confused with? Nowt Trang-sounding round there I can think of? :D

Is there a dam upstream?

Sad day.

Who opened the valves-Thai, Burmese???? :D

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but Trang is in the South of Thailand, some 1,600 kms distant (at a guess and without checking a map) from Vientiane, so for that storm to move from Trang to Vientiane in "a few hours", it would have to be moving at one helluva speed and most of southern, central and northeastern Thailand would now be laid waste! :D

Whe're you getting confused with? Nowt Trang-sounding round there I can think of? :D

Oh bugger . .. . :D

.... I was thinking of Tak (hey it begins with a T . . I don't know why I got it confused!!) .. . .

.. . . maybe it was a dam then . .. .

but we were still hit by a bloody big storm a few hours later on the same day. ....

Oh well . .. . :o

Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.

Situations like these are always very sad and unfortunately, unnecessary. I've been to a few waterfalls and have gone in the water, but between the current and the slippery rocks, decided they were a little too dangerous for me. This is even more complicated when it's crowded and everyone wants to play around.

Beautiful to look at, but dangerous to play in.