Pattaya: Tourism recovery may take TWO YEARS, says industry expert

webfact

1 minute ago, WillyPlatt said:

I remember a guy saying to me the departure lounge at BKK was the saddest place on earth.

If i lived there? Get up have 200 baht brunch.

Maybe take a baht bus to Naklua market. Sit in park overlooking bay. Go for a walk.

Back to condo. Maybe have afternoon visitor a few times a week.

Dinner 300 baht.

Play pool competitively 3 or 4 nights a week.

Repeat.

Bliss. I miss the place.

can be done again in a couple of months. 6 at most

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Leaver said:

The thread is about "Pattaya Tourism."  Countries can "fire up" all around the world, but it will still be a long time before Pattaya Tourism is anything like it was.  

agreed.....even if they open up the country ...who is gonna show up...with what money....from what job? And what holiday time...some rich folks and thats about it

• Like 1

Tourism was already declining due to Tourists being scammed, robbed, etc.

The saying goes:

If someone has a good experience, they tell 10 people.  If someone has a bad experience, they tell 1000.

People all over are saying how much of a cesspit Pattaya has become. Personally,  I have never been there, and have no desire to go there because of all the horror stories I have been told and read. 

So,  as far as the Tourism in Pattaya,   it will never, IMO, get back even close to how it was before COVID-19.

Saying that it will be strong like 5, 10 years ago.... just delusional. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

agreed.....even if they open up the country ...who is gonna show up...with what money....from what job? And what holiday time...some rich folks and thats about it

Rich people tend to go to nice places for their holidays.

22 minutes ago, Xavnel said:

The saying goes:

If someone has a good experience, they tell 10 people.  If someone has a bad experience, they tell 1000.

People all over are saying how much of a cesspit Pattaya has become. Personally,  I have never been there, and have no desire to go there because of all the horror stories I have been told and read. 

So,  as far as the Tourism in Pattaya,   it will never, IMO, get back even close to how it was before COVID-19.

Saying that it will be strong like 5, 10 years ago.... just delusional. 

HA HA HA  Too funny!!!  Has NEVER been here but is of the opinion that Pattaya will never 'get back to even close to how it was...'  Umm.  So, how was it before?  Oh, that's right, you've never been here so how would you know.   

The 'horror stories I have been told and read' about Chiang Mai, if I believed them, would make me think you live in a city choked with thick smoke from the horrible burning fires you have every single day of the year.  'People all over are saying' how much of a smokepit Chiang Mai has become.  I, however, try to keep an open mind and try not pre-judge a city.  So, instead, I visited CM in person to experience it myself before ever making any comment on it.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Pattaya will not disappear, and yes, the girls will come back, but the length of time for the tourists and girls to come back will see many vacant commercial premises around the city, many whom are / will go broke. 

When the virus has come to pass, it will take a long time for Pattaya to rebuild, and until it has been rebuilt, the nightlife here will not be like it was before, not for a long time.    

What do you mean by rebuilt?

I'd imagine it'll just be things opening up again ( maybe under different owners and names ), that's it.

14 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

What do you mean by rebuilt?

I'd imagine it'll just be things opening up again ( maybe under different owners and names ), that's it.

The bricks and mortar do not need to be rebuilt, it's the tourism industry that supplies demand for businesses that operated in those bricks and mortar that needs to be rebuilt.

The Thai government could allow everything open tomorrow, 100%.  Who will open?  Who can open?  Who can afford to stay open? Expats aren't going to keep these businesses afloat.  It's the tourism industry that does, and that needs to build up again, which isn't going to happen anytime soon. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, newnative said:

HA HA HA  Too funny!!!  Has NEVER been here but is of the opinion that Pattaya will never 'get back to even close to how it was...'  Umm.  So, how was it before?  Oh, that's right, you've never been here so how would you know.   

The 'horror stories I have been told and read' about Chiang Mai, if I believed them, would make me think you live in a city choked with thick smoke from the horrible burning fires you have every single day of the year.  'People all over are saying' how much of a smokepit Chiang Mai has become.  I, however, try to keep an open mind and try not pre-judge a city.  So, instead, I visited CM in person to experience it myself before ever making any comment on it.  

I have never been to Iran, but I know it is not a "safe" place for me to go.

I have never been to Antarctica,  however , I suspect it might be a little bit chilly from what I have read.

So...  are you telling me the thing people say,  the thing people tell me, or the videos of Pattaya are all fake? That Pattaya is actually very safe, there are no gangs, no muggings, Police are all totally legit and honest, and no one gets scammed there because that does not exist there?

Come on....  tell me how pristine Pattaya is

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Xavnel said:

I have never been to Antarctica,  however , I suspect it might be a little bit chilly from what I have read.

So...  are you telling me the thing people say,  the thing people tell me, or the videos of Pattaya are all fake? That Pattaya is actually very safe, there are no gangs, no muggings, Police are all totally legit and honest, and no one gets scammed there because that does not exist there?

If you mind your own business, yes it's very safe.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Xavnel said:

Full BS again, or please give us proofs? links?

Any Google search will give you graphs similar to the one below.

Sorry, it's not declining for me ????

Guests-at-Chonburi-Hotel-Establishments.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pattaya46 said:

Full BS again, or please give us proofs? links?

Any Google search will give you graphs similar to the one below.

Sorry, it's not declining for me ????

Guests-at-Chonburi-Hotel-Establishments.

Check the source!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

The thread is about "Pattaya Tourism."  Countries can "fire up" all around the world, but it will still be a long time before Pattaya Tourism is anything like it was.  

Yes the thread is about Pattaya tourism.

Why do you contribute to it?

Your like a stuck record. We all know you loathe the place. Your like a machine of doom.

Can you not start a new anti Pattaya forum but please spare us your never ending misery.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2020 at 11:13 AM, jomtien99 said:

Instead of stating the obvious about the amount of time Pattaya's tourism industry may take to recover, why don't they look at the opportunity in front of them: time to clean up Pattaya and make it a resort for the New World that is coming, less jet ski scams, less double pricing, sort out the waste water drains going out to sea, the songtheaw mafia, etc - time to make it more welcoming

How about forcing Taxis to Use Their Meters? 

On 4/30/2020 at 11:28 AM, ezzra said:

Maybe this time Pattaya will use this restart opportunity to emerge a better and more like a proper resort town than a cowboy's dive and slime joint, will Pattaya fathers will learn and implement new ways or things are just going to go back to the cesspool state it used to be...

Make sure it can NEVER be profitable, again?  They don't have beaches like Samui in that area.  Clean up all the sewer-drains, and the water will still be ugly, because it is next to a major river-drain.  It was only ever popular for tourism Precisely BECAUSE it had the girly-bars, etc. 

Then, after Western things built up around THAT core-industry, many stayed/retired there, because it had modern shopping and such with a sea-breeze at a low-cost (relative to more beautiful areas).

Of course, NO Recovery is possible for small-businesses who profit from foreigner-consumption, until Immigraiton stops blocking their best customers from staying and spending.  Only the big outfits make money from the "tour group" tourists. 

What made Pattaya really successful, were 6-mo-staying snowbirds, under-50s with independent-incomes, retirees who aren't 'rich', etc.  The business-closings, as each group were 'cracked down upon' by immigration, are irrefutable proof of this.  With every 'crackdown', more businesses closed.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SteveK said:

Rich people tend to go to nice places for their holidays.

Yes, like a Greek isle, a Swiss ski resort, or the South of France.  Maybe some botique resort on a Thai Island, where the water is blue, and the sand white.  These folk won't be coming to Pattaya in quantity - ever.

There is, however, a large cross-section of the population in the West who seek affordable places to visit, or even stay awhile.  Their incomes are multiples of an average Thai salary, so it worked out Very Well for them to be able to come to Thailand and stay in Pattaya hassle-fee ... until immigration wrecked that business-model. 

The "tourism numbers" went up with the tour-group tourism, but crowds following a flag and gawking - then being taken to specific pre-arranged places to spend their bit of money - didn't help 99% of Pattaya businesses.

10 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

// where the water is blue, and the sand white. 

These folk won't be coming to Pattaya in quantity - ever. //

They did, and they will do it again.

Many tourissts chose Koh Larn, 7 km off Pattaya :

hqdefault.jpg

3454017561_fce676e09a_b.jpg

6f64f2b978f66217d0dfe93d68390d65.jpg

Edited by Pattaya46
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Leaver said:

I like living in Pattaya.  I am here by choice, not out of necessity.  I like the choice and variety here, the vibrant night life, proximity to the Asia region, the climate, and many other things.  In my opinion, we all have a vested interest to see Pattaya prosper.

I am calling it as I see it.  If you have something positive to say about the situation, let's have it.  

Finally i agree with you, i lived here for 8 years but now live elsewhere in Thailand but maintain a condo in Pattaya i visit maybe once or twice a month for 3-4 days.

I also like the variety and availability of everything.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, pattayadude said:

I think "that time" came in May of 2014 with the Thai military coup d'etat. That was the iceberg that the Titanic hit. Things were never the same after that. It was the end of the good times and the farangs start to sell and leave. The rest is history

The "visa exempt crackdown" had already shuttered many sois, even before that.  Then, Immigration got even worse, and more closings followed.  The 'crackdown on foreigners' began pre-coup - but with no democratic avenue open to apply pressure to stop it (p-o'd business owners and former-employees raising hell), it accellerated.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Finally i agree with you, i lived here for 8 years but now live elsewhere in Thailand but maintain a condo in Pattaya i visit maybe once or twice a month for 3-4 days.

I also like the variety and availability of everything.

If this place goes to the Chinese, or turns into an abandoned city, similar to Costa del Sol, I will be disappointed. 

I like Pattaya, and I like my lifestyle here, and I am not ashamed to say, yes, as a single guy, that involves the sex trade on offer here, but also extends to the expat social life here also.

As I have said, I am calling it as I see it, and I can see some BIG changes to what expats here have been used to, in the future.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

If this place goes to the Chinese, or turns into an abandoned city, similar to Costa del Sol, I will be disappointed. 

I like Pattaya, and I like my lifestyle here, and I am not ashamed to say, yes, as a single guy, that involves the sex trade on offer here, but also extends to the expat social life here also.

As I have said, I am calling it as I see it, and I can see some BIG changes to what expats here have been used to, in the future.  

Won't be bothered at all if it goes to the chinese or becomes abandoned, i do a lot of touring throughout the country where tourism is not a factor.

I, as a married man, also enjoy the sex trade pattaya offers.

With regards to the changes, exciting times - you never know, they might be for the better????

14 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Won't be bothered at all if it goes to the chinese or becomes abandoned, i do a lot of touring throughout the country where tourism is not a factor.

I, as a married man, also enjoy the sex trade pattaya offers.

With regards to the changes, exciting times - you never know, they might be for the better????

I went back to Sihanoukville a while ago.  No one here wants that, believe me. 

I would be interested in what changes you may think will be / could be for the better.   

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I went back to Sihanoukville a while ago.  No one here wants that, believe me. 

I would be interested in what changes you may think will be / could be for the better.   

Cleaner in general / younger thinner burds / repaired roads ( ongoing for 20 years ) / upgraded restaraunts / repaired drains ( ongoing for 20 years ) / quieter roads like now ( unfortunately i'd imagine back to normal chaos once things open up ).

Above mentioned are super unlikely i get that but it's better than thinking doom and gloom all the time, yes?

8 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

Cleaner in general / younger thinner burds / repaired roads ( ongoing for 20 years ) / upgraded restaraunts / repaired drains ( ongoing for 20 years ) / quieter roads like now ( unfortunately i'd imagine back to normal chaos once things open up ).

Above mentioned are super unlikely i get that but it's better than thinking doom and gloom all the time, yes?

Not about doom and gloom.  Just about economic predictions.  

I'm not confident about infrastructure upgrades here.  History shows, too much corruption.  Hence, why Pattaya hasn't got it. 

Definitely less traffic is a bonus.     

3 hours ago, Xavnel said:

Why not come see for yourself and make your own judgment.  You seem awfully interested in Pattaya--asking people about it, reading about it, watching videos about it, and taking the time to comment about it here.  Are you also commenting on what you think of Iran on Iran Visa?  Doubt it.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, newnative said:

Why not come see for yourself and make your own judgment.  You seem awfully interested in Pattaya--asking people about it, reading about it, watching videos about it, and taking the time to comment about it here.  Are you also commenting on what you think of Iran on Iran Visa?  Doubt it.  

1. I do not ask anyone about Pattaya,   however, sometimes it has came up in various conversations.  Is it a requirement to go see someplace to know anything about it?  So, by your logic, no one can know anything about a place and make their own opinion,  unless they physically go there?

So, if I say that Russia is cold.... technically,  by your logic,  I cannot say that unless I have actually been to Russia?

2. "commenting on what you think of Iran on Iran Visa?" .... what is even the purpose  of that question? Are you just trying to be "cute" ?   For your information,  I have committed on Iran many times.  I have worked in Saudi Arabia off and on since 2010,  been to Bahrain many times, UAE many times, and Qatar...... so, ya, I do know the Region.

But this is article is about Pattaya.... so back on topic... 

Yes, tourism has been declining in recent years.... I can tell just by how many people I used to see and how little I see now (well,  before COVID-19).  Even talking to various Bar and restaurant owners, they complain about not much customers.

14 hours ago, Xavnel said:

The saying goes:

If someone has a good experience, they tell 10 people.  If someone has a bad experience, they tell 1000

almost exactly at the rate and the manner the covid-19 spreads

I believe many westerners have nostalgic feelings of a fun joyful Pattaya, which is why we make comments on this site. Times are changing and a different kind of tourist is here. Rents will rise, and bar owners will call it a day. There is more to Thailand than Pattaya. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

it won't be the end of the world Leaver. In my lifetime, I have visited and lived in a few "sex destination" type cities and have seen them rise and fall for reasons I never understood. They are still on the map and nowhere close to what they used to be.Changes happen for social, moral and economic reasons. Thailand may be going through same changes and I'm sure most agree to it but some can't digest or accept. It is changing though. There are other places though that can replace it. maybe not 100 percent but close to it.

Edited by pattayadude