Lifting booze ban could fuel contagion: Taweesin

snoop1130

15 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

I served my country in a theatre of war and I take exception to you thinking that you know anything about soldiers. You probably don't have any knowledge about beer production, farmers, taxes, corruption, mafia, USA prohibition or how the Thai government operates. However after 3 bottles of Chang you probably know what formaldehyde tastes like and the effect that it has on a simpleton.

I would think if he is referring to the general running the Thai Government then he is correct. But professional solders in other countries would indeed not make such stupid decisions.

As for making money off alcohol Prohibition, look no further then old Joe Kennedy. How do you think the Kennedy Clan got all their money?

Not an expert on how much money farmers and people in the alcohol supply chain or losing, would guess a large number of people out of work. But the Government alone is losing one of its major tax revenues from the ban.

However it does not affect the people at the top one bit.

NEVER LET A CRICIS GO TO WASTE!

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Alcohol drinking is a huge problem in the villages and it is the conduit that brings these people together to form small to large groups on a daily basis...

tellIng them not to do it vs the aroma of liquor in the air? Who wins out?

thais hate regulatory compliance...they have told Thais to don’t speed don’t drink don’t tail gate don’t pass on blind curves don’t flee the scene? How well has that worked?

And yes, I am in favor of banning all motor vehicle use in thailand...

it would save lives and better for the environment...

Cheeze! Here's me thinking Gen P was bad. He can't hold a candle to some people.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, tonysilly said:

What's the big deal?? Can't stop drinking for a month or two?? Drinking always leads to no good.  Eating does not for the most part.  Stop acting silly and stay home.  We are almost there.. foolish alcoholics!! 

Looks like your username was chosen with great care.

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, 2 is 1 said:

Hmm... who own alcohol business here in LOS? Belong 20 richest in here! What Prayut asking from them! And what he not get! What kind the struggle for power is going behind the scene what nobody knows. Few million alcoholic people dont mean nothing in that fight!

Yep, sounds about right except the part about what he asked of them. A shorter version is called a bribe, they didn’t pay so here’s the consequences.  With luck the owners will give in and pay up. Everything back to normal.

What these big owners need to do is sit down, figure the loss in revenue verses the DONATION to the gen on sorry, the country. Come up with a middle ground to donate to the good of the country!

Edited by allen303
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're government thinks you're far too dumb to think for yourself and act sensibly so alcohol is banned for the good of the nation ????

Let us be too Dumb, but still got some Supply this morning, cleaned out the shop, didn't have much doh  enough for a couple weeks.  :wai: :burp:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sujo said:

No, you ban and fine those sitting in groups eating it. Food is essential, alcohol is not.

I'm very sure the people that work in that industry and rely on it to feed themselves and their families that now have to stand in hours long food lines stressed out about money would disagree with you.

People are gathering eating together anyways, they are gathering in very large groups for hours standing in lines for food.They ban alcohol because it is an instinctive moronic act when they don't know what else to do so they starve out more workers driving up suicide rates further damaging their economy. Yup makes total sense now!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, INANIMATECARBONROD said:

I can't let your ignorance fly either. 

You are only using the number of people who have tested positive for Covid-19 to calculate your mortality %. 

It is well known and agreed upon that the actual number of people infected worldwide with Covid-19 is much, much higher. Exactly how much is not known. Some educated estimates have it between 10-20x higher than the official number, or perhaps even more (https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.04.14.20062463v2). We also know that a staggering number of people that get infected, are asymptomatic or near asymptomatic.

The current number of deaths is approx 233,000. The current number of tested positive Covid-19 infections worldwide is 3.25million. Multiply that number by 10 to get the estimated actual infections of Covid-19 (32,500,000). 

233,000/32,500,000=0.008x100=.8%

Even just using 5x 3.25mil

233,000/16,500,000=0.014x100=1.43%

It's novel, it's serious, and we need to take it seriously and fight it appropriately BUT it doesn't seem as bad as some would want you to believe, does it?

Man.... After all that typing, I sure could use a cold beer.... D'oh!!!! 

You are absolutely right, as large testing in NYC started, they have already found 15-20% may have been asymptomatic. Some medical doctors have come out now and stated possibly up to 50% of the population may be asymptomatic to some extent. So, lowering the death rate to near .02-3%. However, it does spread more easily then the flue does.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ukrules said:

You're government thinks you're far too dumb to think for yourself and act sensibly so alcohol is banned for the good of the nation ????

A considerable number of governments must think like that as many many countries, if not all, have some controls on alcohol consumption all the time, let alone during a pandemic.

Just like sadly, it seems people can't be trusted to think for themselves and drive carefully, obeying sensible speeds and traffic controls. 

Whilst many enjoy alcohol sensibly, many don't. Just wander around the boozy areas when this is over and you'll see plenty examples. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Isaan sailor said:

Because we have a de facto military government—they treat everyone as grunts.  Only they can decide what’s good for you...

When the majority of the inhabitants of a country ignore the laws of society, and behave like spoiled children.

Well..... They get treated like spoiled children.........

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

Makes you wonder why some people ever supported the military takeover, doesn't it.

Maybe people don't remember Thailand before military. I do.

Flooded Bangkok, Crazy Rice scheme, Killing of southerners and total chaos.......

I'll take any alcohol ban, before wanting the Thaksin clan back in power (which luckily will never happen again - good riddance).......

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, possum1931 said:

Yipee! Much safer roads.

Sure, that's a good point, but most of the people have to stay at home anyway, for various reasons.

I doubt there would be a lot of traffic anyway, alcohol ban or not.

• Like 1

Voters and businesses related to alcohol sales will remember this alcohol ban, that is for sure. It is absolutely non- sensical and an absolute abuse of the powers they have taken as they were not given in a free and democratic vote! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pedrogaz said:

I support this. While in lockdown people will consume more and then jump on the motorbike to go buy more. The road deaths have plummeted since the booze ban was introduced. 

That might also have something to do with the 10pm - 4am curfew, when, at a guess, I would say that most of the road deaths caused by alcohol, generally occur?

1 minute ago, mikosan said:

That might also have something to do with the 10pm - 4am curfew, when, at a guess, I would say that most of the road deaths caused by alcohol, generally occur?

You are not permitted to travel or be out after 10pm. Of course there are less deaths, noone is driving you fool. Deaths on the road are about people not being able to drive and police not insisting on proper licensing and the following of the rules of the road. That is not to say there are no idiots drink driving but that is why we have laws, laws that are usurped by police taking bribes and not doing their sworn duty.

3 hours ago, Thomas J said:

52 deaths and that is first a reason to ban alcohol and keep the entire country on lock down.  Heck on a normal day in Thailand 55 people per day every day die from traffic accidents.  Now if you are worried about people congregating outside of their homes drinking, why not pass a temporary ordinance that drinking alcohol in public would lead to a fine.  Did it ever strike the Thai authorities that 1. allowing restaurants to open but without alcohol sales did them little good since most of the profit comes from selling alcohol. 2. That the rest of the world though on lock down with far greater incidence of coronavirus did not ban alcohol sales. 

Ah, number 2.  Maybe that's why they have banned alcohol sales?

I don't for one minute think that is the reason, but your reasoning doesn't stand to reason.

2 minutes ago, Sumarianson said:

You are not permitted to travel or be out after 10pm. Of course there are less deaths, noone is driving you fool. Deaths on the road are about people not being able to drive and police not insisting on proper licensing and the following of the rules of the road. That is not to say there are no idiots drink driving but that is why we have laws, laws that are usurped by police taking bribes and not doing their sworn duty.

Excuse me.  I object to being called a fool.  My post referred back to another post about the reduction in road deaths, which, if you had bothered to read it, you would have seen!

Yes stop contagion, however being single alone and living in my house alone, I am UNABLE to enjoy a Rum or two because I might accidently on venture out into my deserted street and infect someone else as I pass his/her house. 

Thank you for your concern sadly it is made with zero understanding and even less inteligence 

Edited by Khun Paul
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, rasmus5150 said:

Maybe people don't remember Thailand before military. I do.

Flooded Bangkok, Crazy Rice scheme, Killing of southerners and total chaos.......

I'll take any alcohol ban, before wanting the Thaksin clan back in power (which luckily will never happen again - good riddance).......

Agreed, on balance, this lot aren't doing a bad job in comparison.

• Confused 1