Thailand to allow alcohol sales after three-week ban: officials

rooster59

It's always been up to the governors before the Emergency Decree came out.  If you remember, the BKK governor would announce restrictions (remember 10th - 20th ban booze over Songkran?) then other provinces, one by one would follow.

Governors can decide which bans to continue.  The can't ease restrictions more than the government though.

Several provincial governors have decided to extend the ban on alcohol as well as some on restaurants. 

Buri Ram, Chanthaburi, Lop Buri, Pathum Thani, Nakhon Phanom, Petchaburi, Phitsanalok and Rayong are among the ones to still ban the sale of alcohol. 

Edited by HHTel
correction

9 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Isn't it called Tiger Crystal or is that different?

It's actually Tiger Crystal Light. As with Singha Light before they discontinued it, it has a lower alcohol content than the regular brand. San Miguel light on the other hand has the same 5% as regular SMB. 

7 hours ago, Thomas J said:

They are allowing restaurants to open but not allowing them to sell alcohol.  Thanks for the help.  Most restaurants break even or lose money on food.  They only profit from selling drinks.  Kind of like letting a gas station to open but prohibiting them from selling gas and cigarettes. 

Indeed, if restaurants already have physical distancing measures in place why not allow beer or wine with a meal?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

CM outside at a Thai distributor is lined up and super crazy. Took me an hour at 11am to buy some of what I wanted. Feeling is it going to shut real soon as things cannot be trusted.

Went to another store starts with a P and selling no problem. but di not look like their stock will last long, but who knows depending on the situation.

I am now good to go with 6 cases cases of Singha, a case of Heineken and Federbrau, couple bottles of
Scotch, bottle of Hennessey and 10 bottles of nice wine. This is good for a month or so but if the hatchet starts coming down I might do another small buy to make it go a couple of months. Again the feeling and the word is amongst the sellers is this is not going to last long. I am felling pretty good and so much less stress to live my life the way I want to. 

The hardest stressful thing now is choosing what pleasure to drink and get blasted on tonight while I play guitar and crow like a wolf

Textbook evening which I will duplicate.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

It's actually Tiger Crystal Light. As with Singha Light before they discontinued it, it has a lower alcohol content than the regular brand. San Miguel light on the other hand has the same 5% as regular SMB. 

Not important in the grand scheme of things really but I didn't think there was any difference between Tiger and Tiger light regarding alcohol content. I thought it was all about lower sugar content. Will do some research and get back to you ????

4 hours ago, VictorInBKK said:

Lady at the booze section in Makro Rangsit made a call and told me to go BKK or Nonthaburi. Not very convenient but in 15 mins I was getting my Blend bottles from Tesco Express in Phahol 66 bkk bordering Pathum Thani next to Airforce stadium (in case someone from south Pathum Thani wants to know the nearest pos just Google เทสโก้ โลตัส เอ็กซ์เพรส พหลโยธิน 66).

That was a good shout, Victor.

Surprisingly easy too. No roadblocks or checks...

Quite a few choices other than Tesco as well.

Managed to stock up for the whole month.

• Like 1

So since attempting to buy locally ealier today was a flop, I just did a run to Bangkok and went to the Big C on Ram Intra.  Got there at 4:55 PM. <deleted> on a stick -- the alcohol aisle had been picked clean.  There was basically nothing left. The only beer they had remaining in any quantity was this nasty M-Beer, which only barely drinkable ice cold on a good day. This stuff was manufactured in October of 2019.

Honestly there was nothing left. I got lucky and managed to find a Cheers display up near the front corner of the store that was kind of hidden away where nobody would see it, so I grabbed most of that. I also got the last box of Tiger that was hiding on the top shelf where it was hard to see unless you are tall.

But this was a truly shocking sight to behold. I can't imagine the pandemonium that must have been going on between 11am-2pm to cause that kind of devastation.  I think I secured a sufficient quantity to hold me for 2 months, and after that I should have my home brew operation running.  But that was awful. I guess a lot of people must be thinking like me and not believing that this respite is going to last...

On 5/2/2020 at 5:27 AM, rooster59 said:

The ban has been in effect since April 10 in a bid to discourage social gatherings.

The Thai govt doesn't even know what their people do, the govt is so out touch.

Most likely repeating post or 2 already.

The gf just inform me that there are 6 areas that continue the booze ban. 

I hope the folk in those places give payback. Suppressive rules never work. Even more so when somewhere 20km away have no restrictions.

5 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just a question. Seems strange that some random governor can choose to continue ban. On what basis. Safety of his flock or perhaps an anti booze issue, or wanting to be his own man with swagger, or religion.

Any suggestions welcome.

Wanting to be his own man with swagger. As has been pointed out, it is up to each governor to decide. Enjoying a drink is pretty well a universal experience, whether it be a shot of Lao Know whilst sitting on a mat or an expensive cognac in a hotel lounge. The power to say nay or yeah to people being able to enjoy that near universal experience is probably as intoxicating as the booze itself. I really think that it is as simple as that.

It is interesting that several posters have said that the Thais expect the ban to be reimposed soon. I would be fascinated to know why they think so - my Thai is far too inadequate to pick up such nuances! I wonder, do they think it is for genuine reasons to help with controlling the pandemic, or do they realise that they have been cut a bit of slack and the whip will be cracked soon, bringing them under control for controls sake?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Just a question. Seems strange that some random governor can choose to continue ban. On what basis. Safety of his flock or perhaps an anti booze issue, or wanting to be his own man with swagger, or religion.

Any suggestions welcome.

It has always been up to the governors to issue the ban for their province, but my understanding is that the ban that ended today was done by the national government, and they can't overrule that ban, but they can issue a provincial ban when the national ban is lifted

35 minutes ago, Susco said:

It has always been up to the governors to issue the ban for their province, but my understanding is that the ban that ended today was done by the national government, and they can't overrule that ban, but they can issue a provincial ban when the national ban is lifted

I'm sorry if this sounds rude. 

Here how it works in Thailand. I already had access to booze. Just yesterday I told gf get me some rum when alcohol ban stop tomorrow. Her reply...Jack why you so stupid. Ban alcohol mean nothing. I ring friend now she bring you tomorrow. Tip her 50 baht no cheap Charlie.

1 hour ago, MaxYakov said:

So, how has the ban affected the level of road carnage? I hope not made it worse, but you never know - TiT.

My guess is more the curfew and empty roads that has helped. Can never use road death as reason for control. 

I realize Thai is not yet on western levels.

Have a night drive in Australia and see if you can avoid booze bus. NEVER seen one in Thailand. 

Do they even have them in USA.

There are six provinces with a ban on the sale of alcohol. Maybe more will be added soon. The provinces are Phetchaburi, Yasothon, Pathum Thani, Buriram, Nakhon Phanom and Phitsanulok. All of them are until 31 May except Nakhon Phanom which is 15 May #Thailand

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

All of Pathumthani is shut down with signs saying no sales until May 31 by order of provincial governor. Went to 3 stores.

It's just a conspiracy theory why some provinces decided to extend the ban even if the ban was lifted nationwide from the 3rd of May. 

I believe the governors of those provinces that still ban the sale of alcohol have personal money related business. They've bought a huge stock of alcohol during the ban hoping to sell it in the black market for inflated prices. However, they've been taken by surprise when the Royal Gazette published the lifting of the ban. Luckily for them, there is a loop in the law system that allows governers to do otherwise. It's all a farce and it is all connected.

To conclude, they don't really care about people or COVID 19. It's all about money and I would say it is personal money for the governers. I would suggest more investigation into the black market that was created over April. That's why we see this confusion at the moment with the alcohol ban.

Edited by Thunder26

2 minutes ago, WhereIsMyRyeBread said:

So a friend of your gf's managed to get some alcohol and the conclusion is only naive farangs thinks the alcohol ban means something?

I'm in a northern suburb and the locals have little choice but to comply. Of course if you're in condo on Sukumvit road and your gf is 'selling stuff in a stall around Nana as she's temp out of a job at the moment'  she may drop that comment as she always knows someone with a bottle of Jim Beam ready to party.  I'm sorry if this sounds rude. 

No it's not rude. It's stupid. Right now I'm on an island. Rayong. Most likely stay till at least till June. Been here 2 months already. I can because I'm rich. My gf 7 yr does not "sell stuff" . Yes I live in Bangkok. 

I'm sorry if your northern suburbs folk can't get booze previously. Just means they are fools. Send me pm and I can hook you up with booze anywhere in bkk. Anytime

Did you arrive yesterday?

24 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:
2 hours ago, MaxYakov said:

So, how has the ban affected the level of road carnage? I hope not made it worse, but you never know - TiT.

My guess is more the curfew and empty roads that has helped. Can never use road death as reason for control. 

I realize Thai is not yet on western levels.

Have a night drive in Australia and see if you can avoid booze bus. NEVER seen one in Thailand. 

Do they even have them in USA.

Politicians that have the power can and do use any crisis as an excuse for control and that is being done by those politicians with such a bent everywhere on the planet in response to this pandemic.

Look at the disparate actions to the pandemic of state Governors in the USA depending on their political affiliation and/or desires (it seems). Everything from tyrannical cessation of constitutional freedoms in California, Illinois and New York, much like Thailand and much, much less so by the Governor of the state of South Dakota, Kristi Noem, for example.

I listened to an interview with Ms Noem and was very impressed by her philosophy of trusting the people of her state to "do the right thing". This approach probably wouldn't work in Thailand or New York or, especially, California and Illinois. We can all speculate as to why this might be so.

I never even heard of a "booze bus" until I read your comment. Field sobriety tests where I come from can be administered at roadside by as few as a single officer and without his or her having any equipment other than a procedure or observations (USA). Next, they'll need pot mobiles.

2 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

I never even heard of a "booze bus" until I read your comment. Field sobriety tests where I come from can be administered at roadside by as few as a single officer and without his or her having any equipment other than a procedure or observations (USA). Next, they'll

Not wishing to sidetrack thread...

However in Australia we don't demand the rubbish civil rights USA citizens demand.

In Au every pull up generally involves breath test. It's compulsory to show licence etc. On top of that it's just an on the spot fine. There are booze bus on many roads. Also EVERY patrol car automatically test for alcohol. 

We laugh at "field test" 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No it's not rude. It's stupid. Right now I'm on an island. Rayong. Most likely stay till at least till June. Been here 2 months already. I can because I'm rich. My gf 7 yr does not "sell stuff" . Yes I live in Bangkok. 

I'm sorry if your northern suburbs folk can't get booze previously. Just means they are fools. Send me pm and I can hook you up with booze anywhere in bkk. Anytime

Your comment alluded to that only stupid farangs haven't understood that the alcohol ban means nothing.
The old TIT and you surely mustve rocked up yesterday doesn't ring true as many locals I've seen here are in fear of breaching the alcohol ban and mon n pop stores stopped selling too. Ofcourse everyone is a fool for complying but that's true for anyone living under an authoritarian regime, including peeps in the Evil Empire. I wish I rocked up yesterday seeing everything with fresh eyes, that would be been awesome, the mid 1990s here was mostly a haze anyway. ????️‍♀️

The gf comment was hypothetical, how could it not be!  All the best~

11 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Clearly you don't need booze. The Zen and weed working just fine.

Actually I found smoking weed is more of an English & American & Aussie (ofcourse) thing. As I'm not from there it was never my choice of poison son.

Toodle Pip

Edited by WhereIsMyRyeBread

10 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

However in Australia we don't demand the rubbish civil rights USA citizens demand.

In Au every pull up generally involves breath test. It's compulsory to show licence etc. On top of that it's just an on the spot fine. There are booze bus on many roads. Also EVERY patrol car automatically test for alcohol. 

We laugh at "field test" 

Your posts are written in pigeon English so I'm guessing you aren't Australian...Why would you laugh at "field tests"? Also why, from your previous posts, would you think that telling us you are staying on an island and are rich (let's not forget the 7 year relationship achievement, that must make you proud)  is even remotely important to anyone else other than you? Keep your posts relevant. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

We laugh at "field test" 

Don't look now, but "civil rights" issues happen to be central to this thread, IMHO.

And what, exactly, are the "rubbish" civil rights in the USA would you be referring to?

Thailand's government "setup" (for lack of a better word) has not exactly gotten high scores with international human rights organizations, have they? This heavy-handedness of having an alcohol ban and a six-hour curfew layered onto a restriction of movement so-called emergency decree tantamount to martial law is a pretty good example of violation of what should be rights in a civilized democratic society.

The basic civil rights of the USA are demanded by the US Constitution and statutes (written law). In fact most Americans (probably similar to the Thai people) don't even know what their civil rights are!

Not only that, government organizations such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been blatantly violating guaranteed civil rights and ethical constraints (Comey, et al) and hopefully, the US Attorney General will be issuing indictments citing key violators or there might be hell to pay.

5 minutes ago, MaxYakov said:

Don't look now, but "civil rights" issues happen to be central to this thread, IMHO.

And what, exactly, are the "rubbish" civil rights in the USA would you be referring to?

Thailand's government "setup" (for lack of a better word) has not exactly gotten high scores with international human rights organizations, have they? This heavy-handedness of having an alcohol ban and a six-hour curfew layered onto a restriction of movement so-called emergency decree tantamount to martial law is a pretty good example of violation of what should be rights in a civilized democratic society.

The basic civil rights of the USA are demanded by the US Constitution and statutes (written law). In fact most Americans (probably similar to the Thai people) don't even know what their civil rights are!

Not only that, government organizations such as the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been blatantly violating guaranteed civil rights and ethical constraints (Comey, et al) and hopefully, the US Attorney General will be issuing indictments citing key violators or there might be hell to pay.

Lots of good stuff in here. But lots may not agree.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I am obviously stupid and a fool, I live again off Beach Road Pattaya where I arrived 22 years ago, no mom'n'pop stores here so no access to alcohol. Not that I bothered trying, the small stash that I had pretty much lasted me. I have never done much drinking at home, I like pubs and bars so if they're not available I'll do without (apart from the odd one from the stash to take the edge off.) 

I've seen people in the odd bar but never felt the need to join them, I've also seen a couple of those bars closed down and shuttered up. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Monomial said:

So since attempting to buy locally ealier today was a flop, I just did a run to Bangkok and went to the Big C on Ram Intra.  Got there at 4:55 PM. <deleted> on a stick -- the alcohol aisle had been picked clean.  There was basically nothing left. The only beer they had remaining in any quantity was this nasty M-Beer, which only barely drinkable ice cold on a good day. This stuff was manufactured in October of 2019.

Seems to depend on the area and also the store. Tesco shelves were practically empty this evening, but gourmet market and maxvalu had plenty available, all similarly priced for the larger packs. Still good pickings in the fridges in 7-11s. Also no major queues to deal with early evening.