Thai Wineries Or Thai Wines

Thai wine is fit for nothing more than getting paint off brushes.

But then again, so is a lot of the imported ones from Australia, Chili, Argentina, Italy...you name it. There are some promising names here in Thailand, that require a little bit of additional work to develop into something viable. The problem is that they are sold at a point where the quality of some is still somewhat weak and the prices coming close to the imported plunk.

That maybe, but I have never tasted anything made in Thailand that didn't taste awful. The kind of thing you give away if someone gives it to you.

I was given a bottle of one of the best once. I held my breath through the first glass then dumped the rest down the sink.

Unfit for human consumption.

But then again, so is a lot of the imported ones from Australia, Chili, Argentina, Italy...you name it. There are some promising names here in Thailand, that require a little bit of additional work to develop into something viable. The problem is that they are sold at a point where the quality of some is still somewhat weak and the prices coming close to the imported plunk.

I completely agree. It is a huge generalization for anyone to say that all of something from a country is worthless. Thailand produces some very drinkable wines. Normally, people in Thailand are consumers of reds, but as of yet Thai wineries have not achieved the economies of scale to where they can price their reds competitively against imported reds. Hence, a good bottle of Thai produced red may cost more than a similar quality imported red. Whites are much cheaper due to the demand being lower, locally.

As I mentioned in a similar thread, the tax situation means that local wines are taxed virtually as highly as imports, therefore price differentials are minimal. Further, Thailand is not a wine drinking society, analogous to coffee 20 years ago, so anyone venturing into this field had better be taking the long view.

Regards

Thai wines have made considerable progress in the past half decade - if you are ever in Khao Yai, try Granmonte - they do a nice Chenin Blanc and their Shiraz isn't too bad either. PB Valley is also worth a look (from memory they have some of the largest winemaking infrastructure in Thailand, with some other labels being made there). The major problem facing the Thai wine industry (putting aside consumer preference and high tax rates which severely impact on the local market also) is the fact that the tropical climate results in two crops a year with only one of them (generally speaking) being suitable for wine production.

Get the white Chant Terroir from Tesco Lotus..Put it in the freezer until just before it does..it is then slightly drinkable...........

I visited Chateau de Loei and bought a bottle of its white, I think it was Chenin Blanc. I have to say that, while it wasn't the most fantastic wine I've ever tasted, it was fully drinkable. They just need some time for their wine to become more rounded.

I mentioned this before in another thread. There is a winery in Ban Chiang run by my girlfriend's uncle, Pi-lot (Mr. Trirat Tantaha). The address is, 213 Moo 9, Tambon Ban Chiang, Nonghan, Udon Thani 41320. His fax is, 042-235238. He sells mangosteen, mango and ginger flavoured wine.

One of the posters visited and had a very nice time. The owner is very friendly, courteous and knowledgeable.

Look him up, and I think you will have a very enjoyable time.

Sawasdee phii mai - here in Toronto it is 2 centigrade with a forecast of possible snow flurries. So much for global warming and all that!

Yes, the mangosteen wine has a nice flavour. A man with more education than me in judging wine went with us on our second trip, and he thought the mangosteen wine was pretty good as an after-dinner drink.

This reminds me to go to the Vientiane grocery store in Toronto and see if they have mangosteens from Thailand in stock yet. In addition, we have three Chinatowns in Toronto, and they usually get a good supply of fruit from Thailand in season including noy naas, durians, lamyai, mangos, star fruit, rambutans and so on. Thai rice can be bought a any major grocery store, but wine from Thailand is not on any shelves!

---------------------------

I have been to several Thai wine tastings over the past years.

Your description is pretty accurate. Nasty stuff. There was one thing that tasted like some kind of Port but very sweet and syrupy.

Two years ago we went and spent four weeks in Bordeaux 30 minutes from St Emillion. Then one week in Paris with my relatives.

We definitely had a few good bottles.. :o

Thai wines have made considerable progress in the past half decade - if you are ever in Khao Yai, try Granmonte - they do a nice Chenin Blanc and their Shiraz isn't too bad either. PB Valley is also worth a look (from memory they have some of the largest winemaking infrastructure in Thailand, with some other labels being made there). The major problem facing the Thai wine industry (putting aside consumer preference and high tax rates which severely impact on the local market also) is the fact that the tropical climate results in two crops a year with only one of them (generally speaking) being suitable for wine production.

Yes bought wines mostly from Khao Yai Granmonte seems to be best. Good Range. They also have a great little restaurant, try their lamb shanks in red wine.

Khao Yai Wineries

Thailand’s Buoyant Wine Scene

Hotels & Resorts Khao Yai

---------------------------

I have been to several Thai wine tastings over the past years.

Your description is pretty accurate. Nasty stuff. There was one thing that tasted like some kind of Port but very sweet and syrupy.

Two years ago we went and spent four weeks in Bordeaux 30 minutes from St Emillion. Then one week in Paris with my relatives.

We definitely had a few good bottles.. :o

No, actually, the description is inaccurate if used to describe all Thai wines. There are two main types of Thai wines, those made from grapes and those made from various other types of fruits. I don't like the wines made from other fruits (although many do), but there are some very nice Thai wines produced from grapes.

I have found that in many wine tastings of Thai wines, they only make available fruit wines (other than grapes) and if this isn't to your liking, you will walk away thinking all Thai wines are bad. Try some of the wines produced from grapes mentioned by some of the other posters on this thread.

In all places Ban Cahing, grape brought in from europe know nothing about wine but I liked it thats good enough for me. The owner one of the most pleasant guys I have met in a long time. So to me definetly worth the trip

post-662-1176787692_thumb.jpg

post-662-1176787749_thumb.jpg

post-662-1176787812_thumb.jpg