Work Permit Needed?

Without pointing fingers or naming names I'm curious about the requirements for a Work Permit if I'm currently on a 'retired' visa. I wish to operate as a 'Sales Manager' for a web-based international business selling products which are manufactured throughout SEAsia (including Thailand). I would have a web-page and a local phone contact and address as well as phone contacts in America and Europe. My customers would contact me via my web-page and place orders based on my recommendations and their requirements. I would not be involved with the products directly other than to have a few 'samples' available for customers who might visit me at my home. I would make trips to various manufactures to inspect their quality of product thereby allowing me to make recommendations to potential customers. :o

Edited by Pakawala

Working while on a retirement visa.. Does that sound right ??

Of course its not legal..

Why not ? I am a Bar manager and I have a WP and I am on a Retirement Visa :o

I think LIvinlos meant you should have a businessvisa instead of retirement,for retired,well the word says enough doesn't it?But on the other side if you have a WP and they still give you an extension of stay whilst knowing you work also,indeed why not??just another way o stay,if legal?Well many things are not legal and change by the day without notice,if something is not legal they should tell you that.......While extending visa,but you should notice or ask them if it is allright,proberly even is....

I was under the impression that an O-A retirement visa could not obtain a WP..

A non imm O can of course.. Though I would have assumed (you know what they say about assumptions) that even merely a 12 month extension based on retirement age and money would have a condition that you cannot work on it.

Edited by LivinLOS

I don't believe you are on a retirement visa with a wp....

Lots more data would be needed from the OP..

If he was American he could form an amity company, be sole proprietor, get a non imm B, get a WP, pay his taxes, eventually gain visa extensions, etc etc etc.. Legal..

If he isnt an American theres more complication with having Thai partners 49% ownership and the company 2 mil paid up etc.. Sunbelt would no doubt be able to advice on the costs of this.. Many people feel that its non trivial and the costs to legitimize are often not enough to cover the enterprise. Being legal in this sole trader type situation is not cheaply accomplished IMO.

I don't believe you are on a retirement visa with a wp....

I assure you I am and would be more than happy to show you if you are in the Pattaya area. The retirement extension was issued and stamped Retirement in my PP March this year and the WP was issued 3 weeks later

Then (as suspected) your on a non imm O with a extension based on retirement.. NOT a retirment O-A visa..

s6006036rj1.jpg

can you please tell me the difference in the Retirement and Extention based on retirement ? Sunbelt has posted as well that they have gotten WP on retirement visas for some of there clients.

The requirements to get the Retirement and Based on retirement seem to be the the same so what is the difference ?

Edited by hereforgood

As I said.. Thats your extension to stay based upon retirement.. See the 'extension of stay' part !! Now take a photo of your VISA not your extension to stay. I presume its a non imm O.

A retirement visa is a non imm O-A.. And your forbidden to work on it I am told.

I would also have thought that part of the retirement extension of stay would have forbidden a WP myself.. but obviously Dept of labour for WP and immigration are two different depts. Perhaps others can comment.

Yes you are correct it is a Non Imm O. So what your saying is that there is a difference in extending a O-A retirement and a Non Imm O for retirement. I am wondering what would be the difference so off to Imm I go will report back on what I am told

A few months ago some people started to be approved for work permits even though they had retirement extensions of stay. Sunbelt reported seeing several but do not know if it is general policy or just that some labor offices are allowing now.

Yes you are correct it is a Non Imm O. So what your saying is that there is a difference in extending a O-A retirement and a Non Imm O for retirement. I am wondering what would be the difference so off to Imm I go will report back on what I am told

I dont know if there is a difference in extending but they are different visa's..

I read an O-A wont get a WP issued.. Tho I think that down my way a non O based on retirement would not get a WP either.. Perhaps this is a country wide change perhaps as lop says its officer and office dependant.