UK Passport issues during COVID-19

On 6/23/2020 at 6:45 AM, cheekysailor said:

Stupid question time.  Do you receive a different DHL tracking number for the return leg of your passports journey?  If so will that be sent to you via email?

If you included a contact telephone number in your application you will receive an SMS from DHL when your passport has been collected from the passport office.

This SMS contains a tracking number and a link to the DHL website where you can check the whereabouts of your passport.

• Thanks 1

On 6/22/2020 at 6:42 PM, cheekysailor said:

I was not given a number, but after a couple of emails I have finally been able to locate one.  Documents received and signed for in Liverpool just awaiting my passport return journey.

Did you use the Vfs helpline email to get the tracking number.?

On 6/24/2020 at 8:33 AM, Saltire said:

Payment was taken yesterday 23rd - application lodged 16th, arrived Liverpool 18th.

I now know why no payment showing. Left my passport at agent on 3 June. Went back today still there. Will do it myself next week. Which is what I  should have done in the first place of course.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Canuck1966 said:

Hi, can I use a courier to pick up my child's passport from VFS?

It will be cheaper than getting a 500km taxi!

You can but this was the list of documents HMPO sent me when I had someone collect my new passport a few years ago;

b.         Please note that passports cannot be couriered. You may however arrange for a third party to collect your passport on your behalf. If a third party representative will be collecting the passport on your behalf, they will be required to bring the following with them:

i.          Your previous passport(s) (for cancellation)

ii.         Photo ID of the third party

iii.        An authority letter signed by you giving the third party authorization from you, stating his/her name and that you are permitting him/her to collect the passport on your behalf.

iv.        If a third party representative is collecting a child's passport the letter of authority must be provided and signed by the person who has parental responsibility, and who signed the declaration when the application was made. 

I collected my new passport from VFS Chiang Mai last Thursday. It is not the new blue colour, but that doesn't concern me. The Bio pages are now at the the front of the passport instead of the back. I went to Immigration on Friday but they wouldn't transfer my stamp. My visa is in date but of course I didn't get my border bounce at the end of May because of the closed borders and my passport in Liverpool. I will just have to carry 2 passports, no big deal, I didn't expect any flexibility from Immigration so I wasn't disappointed.

Just when I thought things were going smoothly ...............................

Visited VFS on June 16, waiting on word to collect new passport when I got an email from Liverpool asking for extra documents.

I have 2 UK passports and it's causing confusion now.

I no longer need a second passport and it expires this December so I was planning on letting it expire. Unfortunately to issue a new passport I still have to justify having two, which is now not possible as it requires a letter from an employer stating why. I am retired 8 years and don't need a second one, but they will not issue a new one without a letter, as for a while I would still be holding two.

Problem is they are no longer responding to emails and I have been unable to get through on their support line to discuss. I got through once but the service person had no clue about two passports and could not get me through to the progress team.

The support number has a queue time of 3 or 4 minutes but after 3 you get forced into their callback service. I left my number but no one has called yet.

I am hoping this suggestion will work but I don't know. I want them to send my new passport to VFS and before they issue it to me I will have them void both my current passports, leaving me with one new one, thus avoiding an additional 12 hour round trip to Bangkok.

If I could just get through to discuss this it may work, but will common sense prevail? Who knows.

On 6/28/2020 at 4:30 PM, ImageDude said:

I collected my new passport from VFS Chiang Mai last Thursday. It is not the new blue colour, but that doesn't concern me. The Bio pages are now at the the front of the passport instead of the back. I went to Immigration on Friday but they wouldn't transfer my stamp. My visa is in date but of course I didn't get my border bounce at the end of May because of the closed borders and my passport in Liverpool. I will just have to carry 2 passports, no big deal, I didn't expect any flexibility from Immigration so I wasn't disappointed.

It is normal to have to carry 2 passports (for traveling) until you get your next visa. 

2 hours ago, Saltire said:

I am hoping this suggestion will work but I don't know. I want them to send my new passport to VFS and before they issue it to me I will have them void both my current passports, leaving me with one new one, thus avoiding an additional 12 hour round trip to Bangkok.

I strongly suspect that HMPO may well insist on you sending them your second passport for cancellation before they are prepared to issue a replacement for the passport being renewed (which they will cancel automatically in any event as part of the process).

Just now, hotandsticky said:

It is normal to have to carry 2 passports (for traveling) until you get your next visa. 

Yes, because the new passport is just blank, ie. no entry stamp. The Immigration Office wouldn't  transfer the stamp from my old passport because my permission to stay has expired (90 days) at the end of May, although my Visa is valid until August, no flexibility. It was the IO that suggested I carry 2 passports to avoid any possible problems. The same thing happened 10 years when I renewed my passport in Thailand. I showed 2 passports when I did my border bounce and everything was fine. When I got my new visa it was just put into the new passport and I was able to ditch the old one. This time I can't do a border bounce, all I can do is wait and see what happens with the amnesty!

17 hours ago, OJAS said:

I strongly suspect that HMPO may well insist on you sending them your second passport for cancellation before they are prepared to issue a replacement for the passport being renewed (which they will cancel automatically in any event as part of the process).

I fear you may be corrrect.

I have made the suggestion to void both passports when the new one arrives but it looks like another 600 km round trip is on the cards.

Am pretty sure I won't be allowed to mail it to VFS either, may not be a good idea as it may not arrive.

Waiting on response to my email now.

On 6/22/2020 at 8:25 AM, ImageDude said:

I am not completely finished with HMPO as there are still issues which need addressing and have sent this final letter to Abi Tierney's office. 

Has your complaint been resolved?

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

I fear you may be corrrect.

I have made the suggestion to void both passports when the new one arrives but it looks like another 600 km round trip is on the cards.

Am pretty sure I won't be allowed to mail it to VFS either, may not be a good idea as it may not arrive.

Waiting on response to my email now.

You may not need to make a further 600km round trip since HMPO's Liverpool office could be amenable to your sending your second passport direct to them by DHL courier.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, OJAS said:

You may not need to make a further 600km round trip since HMPO's Liverpool office could be amenable to your sending your second passport direct to them by DHL courier.

Yep that would help.

Then I would only have a 300km round trip to the nearest DHL office, much easier. Maybe I could DHL it to VSF.

Just now, Saltire said:

Yep that would help.

Then I would only have a 300km round trip to the nearest DHL office, much easier. Maybe I could DHL it to VSF.

DHL will collect the package from your home. When you book their service online they will give you a date for collection. The online booking form is very good, when completed DHL send you a PDF shipping label for you to print off and give to the courier. When I used the service they collected on the Thursday evening and it was delivered to HMPO the following Monday morning. The cost was 1,598 baht by bank transfer. Not cheap but an otherwise excellent service.

https://www.dhl.com/th-th/home/contact-us.html

Edited by ImageDude
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, ImageDude said:

DHL will collect the package from your home. When you book their service online they will give you a date for collection. The online booking form is very good, when completed DHL send you a PDF shipping label for you to print off and give to the courier. When I used the service they collected on the Thursday evening and it was delivered to HMPO the following Monday morning. The cost was 1,598 baht by bank transfer. Not cheap but an otherwise excellent service.

https://www.dhl.com/th-th/home/contact-us.html

Thank you, very useful.

Wasted most of yesterday afternoon and evening trying to communicate with HMPO.

Telephone support line states 3 to 4 minutes queuing but after 4 minutes you are forced to leave a call back number.

Email service seems uncoordinated, either that or they don't read my emails properly as their recommendation to get a letter from my non-existent employer for the 2nd passport is repeated.

When you do get to talk to someone (they did call me back), while friendly and helpful, they were unable to confirm what I need to send where to nullify my second passport to allow the to give me my new one. The most annoying thing is when they put you on hold, the line drops and you have to start again (but can't as you can't get through to a human). Or they say they will transfer you and the person they try to transfer you too is busy so the hold menu kicks in again, and again you need to use the call back option.

So to cut a long story short I have decided to bite the bullet and do the 300 Km drive to VFS once again. I will take the second passport, a copy of all the pages (they are all blank) and a cover letter for Liverpool and submit it as additional documents to be sent to HMPO Liverpool.

I am now dreading being met by blank stares in the VFS office as I will have nothing to support that this advice came from Liverpool.

Now, am I correct in saying VFS should be open tomorrow and the rest of this week, unaffected by the current public holidays?

10 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Now, am I correct in saying VFS should be open tomorrow and the rest of this week, unaffected by the current public holidays?

They are usually affected by public holidays....... Thai and UK. However, their website is very informative on opening times:-

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/vacs/bangkok/public-holidays-and-closures

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/vacs/bangkok

Substitution for Asarnha Bucha Day 06-Jul-2020 Monday
Substitution for Songkran Festival Day 27-Jul-2020 Monday
H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua’s Birthday 28-Jul-2020

Tuesday    

2 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

They are usually affected by public holidays....... Thai and UK. However, their website is very informative on opening times:-

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/vacs/bangkok/public-holidays-and-closures

https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/vacs/bangkok

Substitution for Asarnha Bucha Day 06-Jul-2020 Monday
Substitution for Songkran Festival Day 27-Jul-2020 Monday
H.M. King Maha Vajiralongkorn Phra Vajiraklaochaoyuhua’s Birthday 28-Jul-2020

Tuesday    

Thanks, I did look but was looking under the Passport pages.

Looks all clear for this week then, may go tomorrow or Thursday.

1 hour ago, Saltire said:

When you do get to talk to someone (they did call me back), while friendly and helpful, they were unable to confirm what I need to send where to nullify my second passport to allow the to give me my new one.

Who are you expected to ask then.? They are the passport office.!!!

1. If you have a reference number for your application I would quote it and DHL it to them. That is all VFS can do anyway.

2. If you decide the VFS route I would consider making an appointment.

They seem quite keen you are on the 'list for the day'. You have a long  drive and do not want to be disappointed.

2 hours ago, pontious said:

Who are you expected to ask then.? They are the passport office.!!!

1. If you have a reference number for your application I would quote it and DHL it to them. That is all VFS can do anyway.

2. If you decide the VFS route I would consider making an appointment.

They seem quite keen you are on the 'list for the day'. You have a long  drive and do not want to be disappointed.

Yes agree, didn't want to drive 6 hours for nothing, I emailed them and see response below - an IMPORTANT change for anyone going - only open 3 days a week, must be quiet I guess.

"The appointment is not required for submit additional documents as it state on the letter but our operation time has changed.  We are open only Monday, Wednesday and Friday (except public holiday) from 08.30-16.00 hours.

And please noted that there are additional cost for submit additional document please see the details at https://www.vfsglobal.co.uk/th/en/hmpo

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, pontious said:

That says passport collection 1500 - 1600 -do they stick to that.! I want a morning 'pick up' and drive home before dark.

The collection slip I got on 16th June when applying says collections 9.40 till 11.50 AM ad 13.00 till 15.50 PM so I think you should be ok. It was a hand-written change from PM only.

I will certainly be going in the morning for the same reason. 6 hours each way and I want to avoid a hotel a while longer. I can only think the reason why they are on a 3-day week is because they are not busy. The UK visa section is probably dead.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Saltire said:

I can only think the reason why they are on a 3-day week is because they are not busy. The UK visa section is probably dead.

That is probably correct. They are there though to provide a service. After a lengthy shutdown they now reduce the service to 3 days a week. That makes it less convenient for customers. The GOV UK website still says they are on the 8th Floor. The whole system is outdated and is based on the last century. Americans do it all by post - I just helped a friend renew his. It was very easy. And quick. If they can do it so can we. This thread just shows the complete fiasco people have to endure to renew there passport. Thank goodness it is only once every 10 years.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pontious said:

That is probably correct. They are there though to provide a service. After a lengthy shutdown they now reduce the service to 3 days a week. That makes it less convenient for customers. The GOV UK website still says they are on the 8th Floor. The whole system is outdated and is based on the last century. Americans do it all by post - I just helped a friend renew his. It was very easy. And quick. If they can do it so can we. This thread just shows the complete fiasco people have to endure to renew there passport. Thank goodness it is only once every 10 years.

"The whole system is outdated and is based on the last century."

More likely the century before, I think, given that the applicant-to-Bangkok/Chiang Mai leg of the application journey and Bangkok/Chiang Mai-to-applicant leg of the return replacement passport journey are both reliant on "shanks pony" delivery methods which predate the introduction of the Penny Black in 1840!

what I personally find particularly galling (and ironical in our case) is that HMPO are, these days. openly encouraging the use of the GOV.UK online system for passport renewals, despite the fact that applicants from Thailand are not permitted to use this service for some ridiculous reason!????

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1

Quick update

I got an email last night apologising - they saw all the dropped calls from my attempt to get some advice the night before. They asked me to email confirming I no longer require a second passport and someone would get back to me with instructions on what I need to do.

If I don't get something back today or tomorrow I will go to Bangkok on Friday, this is dragging on too long.

Incidentally their call queuing system is useless. It tells you the approximate wait time (always between 30 seconds and 4 minutes but it never is) and then holds. It repeatedly asks you if you want to use call back or hold, but after holding for 4 minutes it forces you into the call back option whether you like it or not. They do call you back as it's automated but it takes about 24 hours.

17 minutes ago, Saltire said:

someone would get back to me with instructions on what I need to do.

I suspect that this will entail a pair of scissors being wielded in order to snip off the top and bottom corners of the front cover of your second passport. However, whether HMPO will permit you to perform this onerous task yourself or whether they will instead insist on it being performed by someone at that glorified post office called VFS when you collect your original replacement passport is, I think, the $64,000 question.