Forum upgrade in progress! ×

UK Passport issues during COVID-19

On 5/27/2020 at 9:56 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

HMPO are completely separate from the UK Embassy - different government departments.  They may both have been useless in this debacle, but HMPO/VFS closing was a UK decision and affected all their offices globally.  Difficult to blame the Embassy in Bangkok for something that was totally beyond their control.

But what I do believe that this debacle has graphically illustrated is that the concept of "joined-up government", which was being actively espoused by Tony Blair et al 20 years ago, is now, sadly, dead in the water, with each separate component of HMG, including HMPO and the Embassy, being encouraged (tacitly, or otherwise) these days to focus exclusively on the needs of its particular silo with blinkers firmly in place.

Edited by OJAS

At least something is moving at last. I will give it a few more weeks before applying but I have 3 queries.

1) Am I correct in saying VFS let you keep your old passport till the new one arrives?

2) Is there such a thing as an instant passport photo booth/service in or near Trendy Building?

3) It  looks like its changed from 2 trips (one to drop off, second to collect) to one if you pay for a courier for the return new one, or is that only for visa applications?

Thanks

Edited by Saltire

8 minutes ago, Saltire said:

At least something is moving at last. I will give it a few more weeks before applying but I have 3 queries.

1) Am I correct in saying VFS let you keep your old passport till the new one arrives?

2) Is there such a thing as an instant passport photo booth/service in or near Trendy Building?

3) It  looks like its changed from 2 trips (one to drop off, second to collect) to one if you pay for a courier for the return new one, or is that only for visa applications?

Thanks

1. Yes  (you present the old one as ID when collecting)

2. Yes (VfS will do for a fee)

3. Always 2 trips if you do it yourself  (courier is only for visas)

Edited by hotandsticky
  • Thanks 1

On the press release visa applicants can book appointments   from 25/26 May. My attempt to book passport renewal 1/ 3/ 5 June just gives an auto reply. So I assume you cannot do it starting 1 June.

4 hours ago, pontious said:

Just sent an email to make an appointment next week and only received an auto generated reply.?

Same here.  Even though it is a few hours drive to BKK I will make the trip this coming Tuesday. That's unless my appointment booking gets answered either today (unlikely) or Monday morning. (probable)

Edited by cheekysailor

20 hours ago, Saltire said:

20 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

2. Yes (VfS will do for a fee)

Good to know that VFS will provide the photos as an optional extra. I strongly suspect that the number of professional photographers across the whole of Thailand who are familiar with HMPO's requirements can be counted on the fingers of one hand - and I'm not sure whether any of these can actually comply with the background colour requirements without recourse to photo-shopping in violation of the "No software altering" rule.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Good to know that VFS will provide the photos as an optional extra. I strongly suspect that the number of professional photographers across the whole of Thailand who are familiar with HMPO's requirements can be counted on the fingers of one hand - and I'm not sure whether any of these can actually comply with the background colour requirements without recourse to photo-shopping in violation of the "No software altering" rule.

I used to take a copy of this to my local Kodak shop....

https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports/photo-requirements

On 5/25/2020 at 7:57 AM, ImageDude said:

This morning I have blitzed HMPO, I have sent emails to everyone at HMPO who has replied to my queries over the last few weeks and there are many of them. Each email has the heading. Please bring this email to the attention of your office manager/supervisor/or any other superior, as it has become abundantly clear that no one at your level has the competency/ability to solve this issue. Followed by my message about the irony of how the Passport Office has managed to lose my Passport.

Enough is enough, they can't make things any worse for me than they already have.

In response to my blitz, I am now starting to receive replies from the recipients at HMPO (3 yesterday). Each reply starts by telling me it is a courtesy email, (that's a first). and my complaint has been escalated to the Customer Resolutions Team. So obviously, they now realise that I do have a genuine grievance and there is a case to answer. It will be interesting to see what conclusion they come to. It's good to see that VFS are finally reopening, let's hope there is not to much of a backlog and the rest of you guys are dealt with in a timely manner.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ImageDude said:

Each reply starts by telling me it is a courtesy email, (that's a first). and my complaint has been escalated to the Customer Resolutions Team.

I have received a similar interim reply to my email to Abi Tierney referred to up thread!

1 hour ago, OJAS said:

I have received a similar interim reply to my email to Abi Tierney referred to up thread!

I contacted her myself but as yet, not received any reply. 

Edited by ImageDude

Hi All/. People still waiting for your passport to be issued from March still/.

I emailed the UK today at Liverpool CSLT referrals for find out what is going off now over my new passport! I didn't mix my words, I am totally <deleted> off with them!

No responses, replies back with decent information in the pass 3 months! 

I have just received a reply back (wow) they are speaking to us now!

I said earlier the problem was not with Bangkok VFS office, but UK passport office stopping work all along.

Reply/. My new passport has been issued now 2 days ago and is on its way back now!

VFS Bangkok will inform you soon for collection!

I was going to go to VFS next Monday anyway and demand answers and find out what was happening? Maybe I can go and get my new passport now! 

Hurray finally!

I hope you all get same information shortly as well!

Cheers

• Like 1

I have 2 passport applications pending, both of which I submitted on 31st March. I received an SMS a few hours ago giving me the DHL tracking number from the UK to Trendy Building Bangkok.

Estimated arrival date is Friday 5th June.

(This will only be for one of the passports. Even though both applications arrived at HMPO at the same time they were processed a few days apart).

Hopefully other members will shortly be receiving good news aswell.

1 hour ago, Martinpeter said:

They must be sharing costs?

Does your tracking number end in 1590?

Passport applications are sent to the UK individually with their own tracking numbers. I would expect each passport to be returned in the same manner, but let's see.

7 hours ago, blackcab said:

Does your tracking number end in 1590?

Hi/.

No my tracking number ends with 0020

as you mention they send them all separately!

Hopefully can pick up next week, along with Embassy letter to go to immigration (before the July rush) and transfer over stamp!

I hope everyone gets sorted soon!

cheers

I have received an email from my MP's secretary informing me that from their enquiries, HMPO have replied to them with the news indicating that my passport will be issued soon. However, I may have to wait until the VFS Office in Chiang Mai opens. HMPO have still not confirmed that they have received my old passport and it has been placed with my application. The bottom line is that it should never have been requested in the first place. Whilst I am sympathetic and in agreement with the measures put in place because of the Covid-19 pandemic. The coronavirus did not cause the incompetence, unprofessionalism, unhelpfulness and obstructiveness that I encountered in my dealings with HMPO. If I finally get my old and new passport, the matter will not rest there.

Edited by ImageDude
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, pixelaoffy said:

You dont actually submit old passport to get a new on?  What happened to going to an interview in Bangkok for the application/renewal and having it dealt with there? 

Nothing has changed.  The poster who returned his passport to the UK did so at the incorrect request of the passport office (AFAIK).

On 6/3/2020 at 8:43 PM, blackcab said:

I have 2 passport applications pending, both of which I submitted on 31st March. I received an SMS a few hours ago giving me the DHL tracking number from the UK to Trendy Building Bangkok.

Do VFS give you a tracking number to UK or is it just HMPO to VFS.?

On 6/4/2020 at 6:35 AM, ImageDude said:

However, I may have to wait until the VFS Office in Chiang Mai opens.

So only the VFS office in With-It Tower has re-opened, then? I should have thought it well within HMPO's capabilities to send your replacement passport there for collection - and, more importantly, inform you accordingly. However, given the incompetent cretins that HMPO clearly are (as graphically illustrated in your case by their insistence on your original passport), I really wouldn't put anything past them!

Clearly having to make a special trip to Bangkok for your replacement passport would be a PITA, but better IMHO for you to have it in your hands rather than to have it gathering dust in some DHL depot - particularly since, after a while, they might possibly decide to return it from whence it came.

Edited by OJAS

2 hours ago, pontious said:

Do VFS give you a tracking number to UK or is it just HMPO to VFS.?

Yes, you get a tracking number from VFS to HMPO as well. During your submission the VFS staff complete a Document Receipt Checklist by hand. This lists all of the documents you have submitted. You sign this document, as does the VFS staff member. You are given one copy of the checklist to retain. The DHL tracking number is written on the bottom of this checklist.

When you collect your passport from VFS you need to take two things: The Document Receipt Checklist you were given when you submitted your application and your original passport (if your application is a renewal).

• Thanks 1

On 5/29/2020 at 2:46 PM, pontious said:

Can you park at Trendy?

Yes. The car park entrance is on Soi 13 at the furthest end of the building away from Sukhumvit Road. You will have to park in the visitors car park, which is on level 5. This can be a bit congested at times, but I have always been able to park.

You will have to enter the main building from the car park, then descend to the ground floor. Next, you will have to take a separate elevator to get to the high zone - either floor 8 or floor 28, depending on which office you will be attending.

Remember to get your car park ticket stamped to get one hours worth of free parking. You get the ink stamp just inside the final exit door on the way out. There is a security guard there who will stamp the ticket for you or at least show you where the ink stamp is so you can stamp the ticket yourself.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, blackcab said:

Yes, you get a tracking number from VFS to HMPO as well. During your submission the VFS staff complete a Document Receipt Checklist by hand. This lists all of the documents you have submitted. You sign this document, as does the VFS staff member. You are given one copy of the checklist to retain. The DHL tracking number is written on the bottom of this checklist.

When you collect your passport from VFS you need to take two things: The Document Receipt Checklist you were given when you submitted your application and your original passport (if your application is a renewal).

I handed all my documents to VFS this Thursday. Although I was given the checklist it does not contain a checking number.