Why Is There So Much Bad Food On Kpg?

(oops i meant WHY is there so much bad food...)

one of the things i love most about thailand is the variety of food. i have been all over thailand and sampled just about every type of thai food available, and was spoiled in bangkok by being able to leave my house and find just about any kind of food i wanted within ten minutes. i just read recently on the lonely planet website that koh phangan is known for having the worst selection of eateries in thailand, and in reflecting upon that i realized it's very true- i miss quality and variety of food so much here! the problem is lack of creativity- how many khao ka moo places can you have on one street for chrissakes! everyone seems to just copy each other here! on my beach it is the same bland fare from one place to the next. okay so maybe that is because we are remote... but even in thongsala there is not much in the way of options! the farang places are ok, but expensive and i am not here to eat farang food. am i just missing the good thai places? why are there not street stalls and markets like there are in almost every other part of thailand? (near the 7-11 excepted, but the food there is mediocre at best). the only decent place i have found to eat other than the popular khao ka moo place on the old market street is 'somtum inter', which does great food. can someone recommend some others that i might be missing? thanks

Edited by girlx

My favourites for Thai food on Koh Pha Ngan as follows

Chor Chang restaurant, just before the big school on the right hand side going towards Had Rin on the Ban Thai Road. -This place does same fantastic and different Thai dishes.

Bang Samphao restaurant next to chequred flag bar Thong Sala - A family run place that also does delicious food, be prepared to wait when they are busy

Restaurant at the top of Thong Sala on the right hand side where the T junction is where you can turn left to the Police Station, not sure of the name of this place but I think the food here is above average, and efficient.

Big Mango, this place also does some decnt dishes in a very pleasent surroundings, but a little bit pricier than the rest.

If I think of anywhere else I will post

MM

Have you tried the curry guy (open only in the daytime)? he used to be on the main road out of the pier but since they tore down his building has moved across the street and into the soi that comes out from the new pier (he's just around corner from the kodak digital place or kitty corner to the Thai Military Bank). he does a selection of cooked curries and soups. Never gotten ill from his food and always find it tasty. Mind, it is cooked for Thai people so it is quite spicy and he usually only has a couple of soups.

Ditto Chor Chang, they have excellent oysters :o

There is a place that does duck (if you like duck) on the way out of Thong Sala, past Big A's supermarket (same side of the road) next to an empty lot which is next to a place selling satellite dishes.

Have you tried the curry guy (open only in the daytime)? he used to be on the main road out of the pier but since they tore down his building has moved across the street and into the soi that comes out from the new pier (he's just around corner from the kodak digital place or kitty corner to the Thai Military Bank). he does a selection of cooked curries and soups. Never gotten ill from his food and always find it tasty. Mind, it is cooked for Thai people so it is quite spicy and he usually only has a couple of soups.

As I remember this guy does a top Masaman curry.

MM

As I remember this guy does a top Masaman curry.

MM

Thats the guy. I love it when it is cooked a long time and there is a tiny bit of oil floating on the top. Then you know its a really creamy, rich and spicy curry.

And I wonder why my cholesterol is rising :o

I am also hearing very good reports from several people about Lom Talay, this place is near Flower Bar on the Ban Thai road on the same side as the sea.

Anyone else eaten there?

Another of my favs is the restaurant / supermarket on the big pier in Chaloklum which does excellent seafood run by a chap called Mr Od.

MM

Have you tried the curry guy

yeah i do eat there occasionally but it seems like his curries are extraordinarily salty to me! not too bad a place though, could use some cha/cafe yen.

the duck place mentioned is run by a friend of mine so i have been meaning to stop by there.

thanks for the other tips!