I use a K-bank visa electron, because I have always believed to be just a regular ATM/ debit card linked to my savings account. I know the atm/ debit cards in Australia, no matter where you use them, you are required to enter your PIN number. However, I notice at many places here, like in the supermarket, you can just swipe the card and sign, similar to a credit card.

I now believe that the ATM card I use here can be used by any one if they can get access to it, or I loose it (before I cancel it) just like a credit card, just sign, no pin. Back in Oz, unless you knew my pin number, you couldn't use the card.

Why is this and it this the same with all debit cards here?

I use a K-bank visa electron, because I have always believed to be just a regular ATM/ debit card linked to my savings account. I know the atm/ debit cards in Australia, no matter where you use them, you are required to enter your PIN number. However, I notice at many places here, like in the supermarket, you can just swipe the card and sign, similar to a credit card.

I now believe that the ATM card I use here can be used by any one if they can get access to it, or I loose it (before I cancel it) just like a credit card, just sign, no pin. Back in Oz, unless you knew my pin number, you couldn't use the card.

Yes they are different,. they are usually about 1.50 metres tall ,45-50 kilos ( to start ) and very dark in color,. expiry date is usually short !

Short answer is that Chip cards are only starting to make an appearance here. Subsequently the terminals will need to be updated with a client keypad so that the Pin element can be integrated.

So yes if you lose an Electron it may be possible that someone can purchase goods, though possibly someone would notice a card issued to Mr. Oz :o being used by Khun Lek, or again maybe not.

Regards

/edit typo //

Edited by A_Traveller

Yes they are different,. they are usually about 1.50 metres tall ,45-50 kilos ( to start ) and very dark in color,. expiry date is usually short !

Since you're from Pattaya that doesn't suprise me, however, you forgot to mention that the ones down there are very easy to use (especially when you insert it into the money machine!)

The K Bank Visa Electron Debit card works just the same as a traditional credit card as well as a normal ATM card.

In the stores such as Tesco, you'll see people just swipping the card, and then signing the register role. It is actually processed as a credit card purchase even though the money is instantly debited from you account. The signature is the authority of the payment to be processed much the same as a PIN number.

If the shop clerk doesn't check it, well....

Cheers,

Soundman.

Chip and PIN is not here yet.

In the UK, I used to sign "Mickey Mouse", "Darth Vader" and a whole bunch of other silly names to see if they checked and they never did.

I used my Siam card in John Lewis in the UK last week and it was ok.

Edited by torrenova