Biden's edge evaporates as Trump seen as better suited for economy, coronavirus response: Reuters/Ipsos poll

webfact

Biden's edge evaporates as Trump seen as better suited for economy, coronavirus response: Reuters/Ipsos poll

By Chris Kahn

2020-05-06T000156Z_1_LYNXMPEG45003_RTROPTP_4_USA-ELECTION-BIDEN-RACE.JPG

FILE PHOTO: Democratic U.S. presidential candidate and former Vice President Joe Biden speaks during the 11th Democratic candidates debate of the 2020 U.S. presidential campaign, held in CNN's Washington studios without an audience because of the global coronavirus pandemic, in Washington, U.S., March 15, 2020. REUTERS/Kevin Lamarque/File Photo

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Joe Biden's advantage over President Donald Trump in popular support has eroded in recent weeks as the presumptive Democratic presidential nominee struggles for visibility with voters during the coronavirus pandemic, according to a Reuters/Ipsos poll released on Tuesday.

The opinion poll conducted on Monday and Tuesday found that 43% of registered voters said they would support Biden in the Nov. 3 presidential election, while 41% said they would back Trump. That makes the contest essentially a toss-up, as the results are within the poll's credibility interval.

Biden led by 6 percentage points in a similar poll last week and by 8 points in a poll that ran April 15 to 21.

The former vice president has been forced to run his presidential campaign from his Delaware home in keeping with restrictions aimed at combating the virus, which has killed more than 70,000 people in the United States and put 30 million people out of work.

By contrast, Trump has put himself at the helm of the U.S. pandemic response, with regular White House briefings until recently.

Some of Biden's most dominant recent headlines focussed on a former U.S. Senate aide's allegation that he sexually assaulted her in 1993. Biden said last week the alleged assault "never happened" and asked the Senate to make public any documents related to the accusation by Tara Reade, who worked as a staff assistant in Biden’s Senate office from December 1992 to August 1993.

The political impact of the situation was not yet clear in the Reuters/Ipsos poll, which showed 53% of the American public said they were "somewhat" or "very" familiar with Reade's allegation.

According to the poll, 45% of Americans said Trump was better suited to create jobs, while 32% said Biden was the better candidate for that. That pushed Trump's advantage over Biden in terms of job creation to 13 points, compared with the Republican president's 6-point edge in a similar poll that ran in mid-April.

Thirty-seven percent said Trump was better leading the country's coronavirus response, while 35% preferred Biden. A similar poll in mid-April showed Biden had a slight edge over Trump when it came to the nation's response to the disease.

Overall, 42% of Americans said they approved of Trump's performance in office, and 53% said they disapproved. The president's popularity has remained relatively flat for more than a year.

The Reuters/Ipsos poll was conducted online, in English, throughout the United States. It gathered responses from 1,215 American adults, including 1,015 who identified as registered voters. It had a credibility interval, a measure of precision, of plus or minus 3 percentage points.

(Reporting by Chris Kahn; Editing by Peter Cooney)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2020-05-06

• Like 1

No surprise. Trump is in the news, Biden isn't, Biden doesn't have much appeal, Biden has baggage, republicans are seen as pro business and Trump is, as incredible as it is, seen by many as a successful business man.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

And the democrats are going to keep losing the longer the pandemic plays out if they keep being tyrants and harassing their constituents at the local and state level, sending the police to raid local businesses and homes, perp walking them across in handcuffs with the media blasting it nation wide. 

Democrats are horrible tyrants, always have been. The pandemic is making easier to see for most. 

And anyone who thinks Trump is the worst political liar ever clearly has done ZERO research into Joe Biden. 

i did not see any perp walking of anyone on the media for breaking the shutdown conditions. I did see plenty of people getting to exercise their right to free speech, though.

I am not a member of either party or of any other political organization and I am no great fan of Joe Biden either, but I have no time for Trump's handling of the Covid-19 issue. We are heading fast to a point where the number dead will be twice the number of service personnel who died in the Vietnam war. And remember who won the peace on that one - Nixon, who said he would end the conflict and did.

I sincerely hope that I am wrong but I am afraid that the virus will not go away - we may get a reduction in infection during the summer but as soon as the autumn comes we will be stacking up the bodies again and having to face yet another shutdown because we did not test and trace enough.

The big fear is that Trump wins a second term. Covid-19 will not be gone and Trump will mess things up again - he will not learn as long as the lesson conflicts with his egomania. While Joe Biden is not my favourite person, I would much prefer him to Trump any day. The sooner we Trump out of the way, we will get to have a leader from the Republican Party who will lead the country properly and not have us as the laughing stock of the whole World!

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1