U.S. coronavirus deaths exceed 75,000: Reuters tally

webfact

5 minutes ago, simple1 said:

Thanks = some excellent observations. I especially liked...

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. 

Has anyone actually heard him laugh, or even smile?

• Thanks 1

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

of course they do it is only to prevent from passing the virus on to patients

just in case they get infected

Good idea.

Thai people same.

• Haha 1

The USA death figures are well under that of some devastated EU countries per head count.

USA has around 5 times the number of populace to those EU countries, but not 5 times the death count.. 

47 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Funny, I was just reading a British writer's opinion of Trump today...

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

The entire article is hysterical. The man has a real way with words.

https://coming42.livejournal.com/479179.html

Thanks for a good laugh, it was needed....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

of course they do it is only to prevent from passing the virus on to patients

just in case they get infected

Traditionally the mask forms a simple barrier between the patient and medical staff and the medical staff and the patient.

It's a two way thing.

Edited by Odysseus123

39 minutes ago, transam said:

The USA death figures are well under that of some devastated EU countries per head count.

USA has around 5 times the number of populace to those EU countries, but not 5 times the death count.. 

??

USA population: 328million

EU population: 446 million

But if you only include those Countries with most cases, the maybe should only include those States with the most?

PH

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Phulublub said:

So people do not stay in Houston, greatly reducing opportunity to spread any disease?  Good to know, but slightly against your own argument I feel.

I note that the total for the two Texas airports is around 60% for JFK alone - again not exactly helping your cause.

But let's not use stats to make comparisons, eh?

PH

that was the idea.  what happens to the people that land in those airports?

houston is a transit hub for one or two airlines.  many folks fly to houston and immediately leave on another flight (like to new york) so they don't go out into the community.  they take their germs to their final destinations.  lotsa connecting flights to central and south america.

crazy setup!  the airlines use hubs instead of direct flights.  maybe no budget direct flight from (please no google, just an example) alburquerque to phoenix - the airlines that serve this area make you fly from albuquerque to houston, then houston to phoenix.  makes sense for airline accounting.

8 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I mean I read that entire article and my takeaway is that dude was disgruntled that he didn't get a fat government contract to bring into operation his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines that he wasn't using. 

On the other hand if its made in the USA then they should have contracted with him, but at the end of the day he will bring online his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines on his own due to demand anyway, he just wanted the plush government contract to do so. 

So they will still be sold locally anyway, and likely cheaper for the end-user than if the government got involved. 

of course!  if everything is a conspiracy to destroy trump, then anything negative is fake news.  just write it all off.  so easy!

ignore that he's one of those deplorables that wants to MAGA for real.  ignore that he has idle production capacity, and that he offers to produce without overcharging, and is blown off....all while the government is overpaying AND buying from russia and china.

now please read to the very bottom of the article and tell me he's just an evil, greedy, disgruntled capitalist:

Big companies like Honeywell and 3M were each awarded contracts totaling for over $170 million for protective gear. One distributor of tactical gear — a company with no history of procuring medical equipment — was awarded a $55 million deal to provide masks for as much as $5.50 a piece, eight times what the government was paying months earlier.

On April 7, FEMA awarded Prestige a $9.5 million contract to provide a million N95 masks a month for one year, an order the company could fulfill without activating its dormant manufacturing lines. For the masks, Prestige charged the government 79 cents a piece.

greedy bastidge!  79 cents for n95 masks?  lock 'im up!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sukhumvitneon said:

The people who set your house on fire are criticizing you for not having an entire fleet of fire trucks on immediate standby

the man in the article, mr. bowen, is a deplorable factory owner in texas.

We are the last major domestic mask company,” he wrote on Jan. 23. “My phones are ringing now, so I don’t ‘need’ government business. I’m just letting you know that I can help you preserve our infrastructure if things ever get really bad. I’m a patriot first, businessman second.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-the-early-days-of-the-pandemic-the-us-government-turned-down-an-offer-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-in-america/ar-BB13Qqsv

he HAD (and still has) an unused fleet of fire trucks on standby.

he noticed smoke, thought there would be fire.  he asked to activate the old yet fully-functional fire engines.

the fire marshall told him to take two tide pods and NOT call him in the morning.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

of course!  if everything is a conspiracy to destroy trump, then anything negative is fake news.  just write it all off.  so easy!

ignore that he's one of those deplorables that wants to MAGA for real.  ignore that he has idle production capacity, and that he offers to produce without overcharging, and is blown off....all while the government is overpaying AND buying from russia and china.

now please read to the very bottom of the article and tell me he's just an evil, greedy, disgruntled capitalist:

Big companies like Honeywell and 3M were each awarded contracts totaling for over $170 million for protective gear. One distributor of tactical gear — a company with no history of procuring medical equipment — was awarded a $55 million deal to provide masks for as much as $5.50 a piece, eight times what the government was paying months earlier.

On April 7, FEMA awarded Prestige a $9.5 million contract to provide a million N95 masks a month for one year, an order the company could fulfill without activating its dormant manufacturing lines. For the masks, Prestige charged the government 79 cents a piece.

It all goes to show how totally inept and out of their depth everyone in this (mal)administration is. They are incompetent and it's costing and will continue to cost lives, which they're not concerned about, except insofar as it might be bad optics. Scum. ????

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Yinn said:

Good idea.

Thai people same.

Yep, but not when you touch it with your hands hundred times, wear it on the chin for a while, put it back on, 10 times per day, and the next day. Then you infect yourself, potentially.

Edited by RedPill

3 minutes ago, RedPill said:

Then you infect yourself, potentially.

Not possible.

corona come from infection person.

If you infect yourself= already have it!

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

Top 5 states are also the USA's principal entry points for international travelers. Much of the USA's infections were brought back by travelers from Europe. LAX had the Asian arrivals.  Massachusetts hosted multiple conventions and meetings with international attendees and this is one of the reasons why Massachusetts was hit.

If kentucky was home to some of the worlds top universities and  research institutions, it would have been hosting the international meetings, not Boston.

If  Tupelo was the center of international commerce in the USA  it would have had new York's problems.

Yes, because DFW and IAH do not get a lot of international traffic. ????????

43 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Not possible.

corona come from infection person.

If you infect yourself= already have it!

If some else spits or sneezes on a table ... and I touch it with my hand. 

I'm not infected immediately. If I wash my hands ... never get infected. Corona gone.

But if I now touch my mask a hundred times, touch around my face/mouth/eyes  ... I get infected, or not?

Please, tell me I got this correctly, otherwise I missed a lot of things over the past 8 weeks.

People with a mask on touch around their face a lot more often. Mask on, mask off, on the chin, back on, move it up, down etc.

Edited by RedPill
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I'm not infected immediately. If I wash my hands ... never get infected. Corona gone.

But if I now touch my mask a hundred times, touch around my face/mouth/eyes  ... I get infected, or not?

Please, tell me I got this correctly, otherwise I missed a lot of things over the past 8 weeks.

People with a mask on touch around their face a lot more often. Mask on, mask off, on the chin, back on, move it up, down etc.

Yes, correct. I don't believe in masks, but you're still not infecting yourself, but being infected by someone else. But that infection could have been avoided.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't believe in masks,

Fait enough. Masks may not be very effective, but most health professionals say they are worth the effort.

I get that they're annoying, but so many people seem obsessed with telling the world how much they hate them and how useless they are. It's really not a big deal to wear one...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, teatime101 said:

Fait enough. Masks may not be very effective, but most health professionals say they are worth the effort.

<snip>

The effect of masks is disputed worldwide.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, RedPill said:

To get infected a significant number of virus particles must enter into your mouth, nose, and or eyes. All three are moist paths leading to your throat and lungs.

A high quality mask will prevent virus particles entering your mouth and nose.

Airtight goggles will prevent particles entering into your eye fluid.

Make sure you wash your hands carefully and any other objects you may have handled.

Take off your mask and goggles.

Of course, you do not want to fiddle with your glasses and mask with your hands.

If you are in an area with other people who may be contagious, the mask and goggles are your primary protection. I particular worry about inside a lift (closed space) even if alone.

If you are not around other people, then your hands are your only vector, but a mask and goggles can prevent you from inadvertently touching your wet mucus areas.

Edited by rabas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, rabas said:

To get infected a significant number of virus particles must enter into your mouth, nose, and or eyes. All three are moist paths leading to your throat and lungs.

A high quality mask will prevent virus particles entering your mouth and nose.

Airtight goggles will prevent particles entering into your eye fluid.

Make sure you wash your hands carefully and any other objects you may have handled.

Take off your mask and goggles.

Of course, you do not want to fiddle with your glasses and mask with your hands.

If you are in an area with other people who may be contagious, the mask and goggles are your only protection. I particular worry about inside a lift (closed space) even if alone.

If you are not around other people, then your hands are your only vector, but a mask and goggles can prevent you from inadvertently touching your wet mucus areas.

The major contribution to slowing spread a mask can make is in protecting other people from you.  Not you from them.  A significant proportion of those with covid are asymptomatic - if they wear a mask, the droplets containing virus do not go as far when they exhale. 

Same (main) reason why surgeons wear masks - to protect the pateint from them, not them from their patient.

PH

37 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes, correct. I don't believe in masks, but you're still not infecting yourself, but being infected by someone else. But that infection could have been avoided.

Yep, that's the only thing I said ... "unless you are fiddling around with the mask too much, which most do."

But Yin said ... not possible. Or not understood what I mean.

Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 8.07.37 PM.png

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

I guess I'm a little lost when someone says, if you infect yourself = you already have it ...

How can I infect myself if I already have it?

But I can very likely infect myself by putting a finger in my eye, when I want to place or correct that mask on my face.

Or take it off ... touch something, and put it back the other way around. Or something like that. Just by incorrect usage, throughout the day.

We only wash our hands mostly when we come back home ... but we touch a lot of things outside, and also touch our masks when we are outside, in between hand wash's. 

Leaving out the topic of wearing that same mask for many days in a row.

In summary, to me, we should not touch our face with our hands ... but we put something directly on our mouth, coming directly from our unwashed hands, while we are busy doing shopping outside. Multiple times. Before we wash our hands again.

Ok, some gel in between. Anyways, I'm not complaining, almost 'normal' now to wear a mask before entering a shop.

It was just initially a quick reply to Yin, and then I hear from her this is not possible ????

Edited by RedPill

9 minutes ago, RedPill said:

I guess I'm a little lost when someone says, if you infect yourself = you already have it ...

How can I infect myself if I already have it?

But I can very likely infect myself by putting a finger in my eye, when I want to place or correct that mask on my face.

Or take it off ... touch something, and put it back the other way around. Or something like that. Just by incorrect usage, throughout the day.

We only wash our hands mostly when we come back home ... but we touch a lot of things outside, and also touch our masks when we are outside, in between hand wash's. 

Leaving out the topic of wearing that same mask for many days in a row.

In summary, to me, we should not touch our face with our hands ... but we put something directly on our mouth, coming directly from our unwashed hands, while we are busy doing shopping outside. Multiple times. Before we wash our hands again.

Ok, some gel inbetween.

Agree, I think it is just a matter of misinterpretation of your earlier post between you and Yinn.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tie Dye Samurai said:

International Traffic through the airports yes....international tourism spreading out across the area like the NYC area....hell no.

You have a point. An MIT study shows NYC not closing the subway system accelerated the spread of the virus. I'm still not sure why it took an MIT study to figure that out.

https://nypost.com/2020/04/15/mit-study-subways-a-major-disseminator-of-coronavirus-in-nyc/

Thanks for pointing out yet another way New York bungled the plandemic response.

Edited by Crazy Alex
  • Like 1

Just wondering if Mamma Noodle is a Trump supporter?  It seems that most of the

Donald is our Hero,  people have not only Rose colored glasses on, but actually

Ruby colored glasses, you know, so red that the truth will never shine through.

Poor Pres Trump, he has done soo much for America, just a good hearted guy,

never any self centerred attitude or bad language or thoughts for anyone.

He is an absolute Saint.  Oops my scarcasm must have been turned on. 555

Geezer

• Like 1

When I read a post from people who do not believe in mask wearing, I think okay Homer.

If you have a mask on it is one layer and the people around you are slightly 

protected from your germs, or common cold or flu, or other disease that you are unaware of,                 if you cough or sneeze.        If they also have a mask on,

you are protected from their germs and what ever disease they may have if

they cough or sneeze or even talk loudly spraying spittle as they do.    Get the point 

Homer or Marg, or Bart?  THere are simple minded people who are educated

and intelligent, but not smart enough to understand this simple principle, and it just

makes me sad.

Geezer