U.S. coronavirus deaths exceed 75,000: Reuters tally

webfact

6 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Top five states are all run by Democrats. What a coincidence.

Typically shoddy and irrelevant partisanship, as is your habit.

They also happen to mostly have in their regions among the largest international airports in the U.S., including those that took the bulk of the imported European virus cases arriving via the East Coast... along with Asian traveler imports to LAX and Seattle.

Because, the federal government -- with the exception of its late arriving China policy -- did nothing else in the early going to stop or check the import of the virus to the U.S. from other countries around the world.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Typically shoddy and irrelevant partisanship, as is your habit.

They also happen to mostly have among the largest international airports in the U.S., including those that took the bulk of the imported European virus cases arriving via the East Coast... along with Asian traveler imports to LAX and Seattle.

Because, the federal government -- with the exception of its late arriving China policy -- did nothing else in the early going to stop or check the import of the virus to the U.S. from other countries around the world.

Nice try, but Texas has one of the busiest international airports in the country- yet are way down the list of infected states. Furthermore, your "did nothing" claim is obviously false.

• Confused 1

21 minutes ago, Crazy Alex said:

Nice try, but Texas has one of the busiest international airports in the country- yet are way down the list of infected states. Furthermore, your "did nothing" claim is obviously false.

More of the international arrivals land first either on the east or west coasts, especially coming from either Europe or Asia.

This below reflects ALL international flights, not just those from Europe and Asia... but the Texas airports are well down on the total list, and would be equally or further down for Europe or Asia arrivals.

2020-05-10-11.jpg.b4215705e804b8acf7dc23b8eae7bbfb.jpg

https://www.bts.gov/content/table-8-us-airports-ranked-2017-international-scheduled-enplanements-us-carriers-and-foreign

New York is the largest city in the U.S. with more than 8 million people, about double the population of No. 2 city Los Angeles.  It also has the busiest international airport in the U.S. by far as shown above. Thus it's not hard to figure why it would have the largest CV case count in the U.S., and that having nothing to do with the political party in charge there.

States and cities don't regulate international air travel and entrance screening. But the federal government does, and that's why we're heading toward 100,000 dead Americans.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think he's preparing to declare "victory" and "job well done" again when the U.S. death toll hits 100,000...  :ph34r:

Which at the rate things are currently going, should be in about two weeks from now (given the current rate of about 2,000 U.S. deaths per day).

In two weeks Trump is going to be very lucky if he is not a patient himself which is not going to be good at all...and that would be, for you folks scoring at home, a 73 year old overweight man with covid-19. At least you know he has a nice stock of Hydroxychloroquine...and as a great man once said about this miracle drug when it comes to the corona virus, "What have you got to lose? Take it..."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

And Obama finally surfaces, via a private meeting audio transcript, on the state of the U.S. coronavirus response:

In the same chat, a tape of which was obtained by Yahoo News, Obama also lashed out at the Trump administration’s handling of the coronavirus pandemic as “an absolute chaotic disaster.”

"It would have been bad even with the best of governments. It has been an absolute chaotic disaster when that mindset — of ‘what’s in it for me’ and ‘to heck with everybody else’ — when that mindset is operationalized in our government."

https://news.yahoo.com/obama-irule-of-law-michael-flynn-case-014121045.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

The US is a very large country, and some states barely even have any cases. And some states are experiencing death rates similar to a bad flu season, so it makes no sense to say "The US" when it should be taken state by state. 

I know. The discussion was on controversies and disagreements on opening the economy. Are there strong controversies in States experiencing low (non increasing) death rates?

Edited by candide
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

More of the international arrivals land first either on the east or west coasts, especially coming from either Europe or Asia.

This below reflects ALL international flights, not just those from Europe and Asia... but the Texas airports are well down on the total list, and would be equally or further down for Europe or Asia arrivals.

2020-05-10-11.jpg.b4215705e804b8acf7dc23b8eae7bbfb.jpg

https://www.bts.gov/content/table-8-us-airports-ranked-2017-international-scheduled-enplanements-us-carriers-and-foreign

New York is the largest city in the U.S. with more than 8 million people, about double the population of No. 2 city Los Angeles.  It also has the busiest international airport in the U.S. by far as shown above. Thus it's not hard to figure why it would have the largest CV case count in the U.S., and that having nothing to do with the political party in charge there.

States and cities don't regulate international air travel and entrance screening. But the federal government does, and that's why we're heading toward 100,000 dead Americans.

Thank you for showing I was wrong. Texas has TWO of the top ten busiest airports in the US. My bad. Nonetheless, you've fallen well short of explaining why New York has 26 times the deaths from CV-19 than Texas- ESPECIALLY given Texas has a higher population.

I wonder why Cuomo didn't take action sooner. Did he ever close down the subway? How about De Blasio telling people to go out and party on March 13? Both Trump's fault, right?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Crazy Alex said:

Wow, a delay in an official declaration. What a game changer! Seriously, is that all you've got?

isn't that basically the grounds for several us states suing the chinese government?  if only they'd _______ sooner, we coulda ______ !

this is where our problem lies.

(short video from c-span, an accredited organization, not fake news)

"respectfully, sir, you're the president and people tuning into the briefings, they want to get information and guidance and want to know what to do. they're not looking for rumours."

"hey, hey phil, hey phil.  i'm the president and you're fake news."

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4871212/user-clip-president-fake-news

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Let’s see if you can grasp population density as a factor in the spread of contagious disease:

NY State population 19,440,469, population density 421persons/square mile.

Texas state population 29,472,295, population density 110 persons/square mile and in one third of counties as low as 10 persons / square mile.

NY City has a population density of 28,188 persons /square mile.

Most densely populated city in Texas is Dallas with 2718 persons/square mile.

https://worldpopulationreview.com/states/new-york-population/

http://www.txcercit.org/population_density.asp

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_New_York_City

http://www.texascounties.net/statistics/popdensity2010.htm

y'all can't make comparisons simply by population stats.

people fly to new york city for tourism, work, study, family.

people fly to houston to catch flights elsewhere.

consider risk factors - age brackets, obesity levels, covid affecting some minority groups at higher rates.

climate may also be a factor.  new york is colder and more polluted.  texas is hotter and drier.

a russian government site is suggesting covid "becomes almost non-infectious at air temperatures of over 30 degrees celsius." 

(i won't post a link to rt.com, heads would explode.)

11 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

nobody i Australia wears a mask it is not recommend it by the medical

profession only recommend it if you feel sick.  

The medical profession Australia wear the mask. 

FE7C891D-FB79-43B2-B7F7-E9B09E9744FA.jpeg

1 hour ago, ChouDoufu said:

a russian government site is suggesting covid "becomes almost non-infectious at air temperatures of over 30 degrees celsius." 

Something like this is going to be one of the bigger reasons that some places were largely spared while others were ravaged. 

It should be pretty obvious at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

masks?  masks!!  we don' need no stinkin' masks!

In the early days of the pandemic, the U.S. government turned down an offer to manufacture millions of N95 masks in America

It was Jan. 22, a day after the first case of covid-19 was detected in the United States, and orders were pouring into Michael Bowen’s company outside Fort Worth, some from as far away as Hong Kong.

Bowen’s medical supply company, Prestige Ameritech, could ramp up production to make an additional 1.7 million N95 masks a week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-the-early-days-of-the-pandemic-the-us-government-turned-down-an-offer-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-in-america/ar-BB13Qqsv

nah!  it'll be fine!  confeve!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

In the early days of the pandemic, the U.S. government turned down an offer to manufacture millions of N95 masks in America

It was Jan. 22, a day after the first case of covid-19 was detected in the United States, and orders were pouring into Michael Bowen’s company outside Fort Worth, some from as far away as Hong Kong.

Bowen’s medical supply company, Prestige Ameritech, could ramp up production to make an additional 1.7 million N95 masks a week.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/in-the-early-days-of-the-pandemic-the-us-government-turned-down-an-offer-to-manufacture-millions-of-n95-masks-in-america/ar-BB13Qqsv

Then 3M and Honeywell reps called and said "You know what we could move a mountain of these things." Most people will contaminate themselves using a mask. Unless you have enough to replace them several times a day or whenever you wash your hands which ever comes first. 

18 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Something like this is going to be one of the bigger reasons that some places were largely spared while others were ravaged. 

It should be pretty obvious at this point. 

I have the same thoughts. The fact Thailand doesn't seem to have it in great numbers  along with Cambodia and as far I know Laos is curious. I am not buying for one second it was people being responsible and government actions. I see how Thais eat together and that is a mixed bunch of infectious bowls. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChouDoufu said:

I mean I read that entire article and my takeaway is that dude was disgruntled that he didn't get a fat government contract to bring into operation his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines that he wasn't using. 

On the other hand if its made in the USA then they should have contracted with him, but at the end of the day he will bring online his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines on his own due to demand anyway, he just wanted the plush government contract to do so. 

So they will still be sold locally anyway, and likely cheaper for the end-user than if the government got involved. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

isn't that basically the grounds for several us states suing the chinese government?  if only they'd _______ sooner, we coulda ______ !

if only they'd shut down the subway sooner, we coulda had less deaths! That's for starters.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Mama Noodle said:

I mean I read that entire article and my takeaway is that dude was disgruntled that he didn't get a fat government contract to bring into operation his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines that he wasn't using. 

On the other hand if its made in the USA then they should have contracted with him, but at the end of the day he will bring online his 4 "very difficult" and "very expensive" production lines on his own due to demand anyway, he just wanted the plush government contract to do so. 

So they will still be sold locally anyway, and likely cheaper for the end-user than if the government got involved. 

Maybe I am wrong...but if the Defence Production Act is enacted, then firms are not allowed to price gouge.

But why bother for masks...we need meat, baby.  And sod the workers in those facilities because they are not "us".

PH

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

y'all can't make comparisons simply by population stats.

people fly to new york city for tourism, work, study, family.

people fly to houston to catch flights elsewhere.

consider risk factors - age brackets, obesity levels, covid affecting some minority groups at higher rates.

climate may also be a factor.  new york is colder and more polluted.  texas is hotter and drier.

(i won't post a link to rt.com, heads would explode.)

So people do not stay in Houston, greatly reducing opportunity to spread any disease?  Good to know, but slightly against your own argument I feel.

I note that the total for the two Texas airports is around 60% for JFK alone - again not exactly helping your cause.

But let's not use stats to make comparisons, eh?

PH

Edited by Phulublub
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, ChouDoufu said:

The people who set your house on fire are criticizing you for not having an entire fleet of fire trucks on immediate standby

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

Funny, I was just reading a British writer's opinion of Trump today...

“Why do some British people not like Donald Trump?” Nate White, an articulate and witty writer from England wrote the following response:

A few things spring to mind. Trump lacks certain qualities which the British traditionally esteem. For instance, he has no class, no charm, no coolness, no credibility, no compassion, no wit, no warmth, no wisdom, no subtlety, no sensitivity, no self-awareness, no humility, no honour and no grace – all qualities, funnily enough, with which his predecessor Mr. Obama was generously blessed. So for us, the stark contrast does rather throw Trump’s limitations into embarrassingly sharp relief.

The entire article is hysterical. The man has a real way with words.

https://coming42.livejournal.com/479179.html

Thanks = some excellent observations. I especially liked...

Plus, we like a laugh. And while Trump may be laughable, he has never once said anything wry, witty or even faintly amusing – not once, ever. I don’t say that rhetorically, I mean it quite literally: not once, not ever. And that fact is particularly disturbing to the British sensibility – for us, to lack humour is almost inhuman. 

• Like 2

Trump meets with 90 odd year old veterans and no masks. Trump has meeting with generals in whitehouse, no masks.

Yet there are now a few positive virus results in the whitehouse. Miller tested negative on thursday and positive on friday but the virus is easiest to pass on in the days before she tested positive.

Unfortunately it is going to take a death in the whitehouse or trump himself to to get the virus before they try to actually do something seriously.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1