U.S. coronavirus deaths exceed 75,000: Reuters tally

webfact

22 hours ago, Tug said:

He’s shutting down the agency’s that model the expansion of the infections spread trying to keep us in the dark his valet tests positive he freaks out screaming at his staff to protect him but has absolutely no problem sending regular Americans into harms way pathetic is to weak of a word for this man come on November enough allready enough 

Why no sources that he's keeping you in the dark

6 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Im not absolving Trump of all blame <snip>

Putting Trumps mouth aside for a minute and lowering the rage-blinders you'll see the federal governments response as been perfectly adequate and in fact over the top. <snip>

Right.

Won't matter. By October, when flu season starts, the deaths will be well in excess of 100,000 and there will be a big spike in infections. Wouldn't surprise me at all if there were 150,000-200,000 dead by election day, especially in light of the (mal)administration's refusal to embrace testing and contact tracing.  ????

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

This is one of the sad hallmarks of the Trump Admin -- a president who doesn't believe in science, medicine or topic experts.

And who then proceeds to fill his government's leadership with political ideologues who only can stay in their jobs by catering to Trump's misguided and often bizarre whims, while they ignore the advice they're being given by career professionals in their fields.

Government by stupidity and ignorance. And the results are apparent.

Tell me about it:

New York's coronavirus outbreak was a 'primary gateway' for the disease's spread around the US, a researcher says

New York's coronavirus outbreak triggered the virus' spread throughout the United States, researchers have found.

The New York Times reported on Thursday that genetic mutations in the virus helped researchers track the origins of other outbreaks back to the country's biggest city.

"New York was one of the primary gateways of virus spread throughout the country," Nathan Grubaugh, an assistant professor of epidemiology at the Yale School of Public Health, told Business Insider. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/travel-from-new-york-sparked-second-wave-coronavirus-cases-us-2020-5

Cuomo rips idea of banning New Yorkers from traveling to other states

ALBANY, N.Y. – This isn't a civil war, Gov. Andrew Cuomo said.

New York's governor on Saturday ripped suggestions by President Donald Trump that he might institute a ban on New Yorkers' travel to other states amid the coronavirus outbreak,  and Cuomo threatened to sue Rhode Island if it continues to seek out New Yorkers entering its borders.

"I don't believe that any federal administration could be serious about physical lockdowns on parts of states across this country," Cuomo said on CNN. "I don't believe it's legal. It would be economic chaos."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2020/03/28/coronavirus-gov-andrew-cuomo-rips-possible-new-york-travel-ban/2934494001/

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 5/8/2020 at 8:23 AM, webfact said:

The White House shelved a step-by-step guide prepared by U.S. health officials to help states safely reopen mass transit and businesses closed by the coronavirus pandemic.

Gee. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Stargrazer9889 said:

With Boris getting the virus, I wonder how many more people around

Trump and Pence get the virus before they do. Just a matter of time?

And how much will Trump and Pence spread because they refuse the mask? 

Boris spread it sure. Not wear mask, make everyone shake hands together.

How many die because Boris? Serious question.

this guys so selfish.

7CDB2554-FF5C-4BEE-8E62-1B8220FFF327.jpeg

101FBEDF-C5AB-4412-9BB9-6195E0A8F0DE.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The NYT also had further elaboration on the topic:

“It means that we missed the boat early on, and the vast majority in this country is coming from domestic spread,” said Kristian Andersen, a professor in the department of immunology and microbiology at Scripps Research. “I keep hearing that it’s somebody else’s fault. That’s not true. It’s not somebody else’s fault, it’s our own fault.”

A lack of testing obscured the true extent of the outbreak for months, and officials acted on incomplete and sometimes conflicting information. The enormous growth of New York’s outbreak partly reflects its volume of international visitors, especially from Europe, where most of its infections came from.

Repeating for emphasis -- "its volume of international visitors, especially from Europe, where most of its infections came from."

Who failed to develop an early test for diagnosing CV, and then finally sent out a faulty one? Who's responsible for international air travel regulations on arriving passengers? 

Uhh... paging the Centers for Disease Control, Customs and Border Protection, Health and Human Services -- all federal agencies under Trump with jurisdiction on such things.  Missing in action!!!

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And even then, the travel restriction only applied to European nationals, and not U.S. citizens or green card holders or military members or their families returning to the U.S. from Europe... All of whom could, after arriving back to the U.S., go about as they wished without any government enforced quarantine period.

Yeah the USA banning their own citizens from returning to their homeland would have been real possible ????

And forcing citizens into government quarantine would've been doubly possible and surely welcomed ????

You guys are so hypocritical and deflective its rather amusing. One minute Trump has no power or authority, next minute he should have done a tyrannical move like noted above (LOL) next second when NY cases are skyrocketing, NY threatens sue other states and refuses to isolate (Which should be totally acceptable according to your own standards)...

Its all rather amusing, especially since its the same old song and dance coming from the same old Trump haters. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Yeah the USA banning their own citizens from returning to their homeland would have been real possible ????

And forcing citizens into government quarantine would've been doubly possible and surely welcomed ????

What do you think Thailand finally took to doing?  Closing off international travel and mandatory quarantines on arriving passengers, including their own citizens. 

That's what it takes... but Trump and Co. didn't have the guts to do what was required.... Because h/chloroquine and a soon arriving vaccine would cure all ills!!!

And he knew better than the medical professionals who had warned him a pandemic was coming...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

One minute Trump has no power or authority, next minute he should have done a tyrannical move like noted above

The only entity with jurisdiction over international air traffic arrivals to the U.S. is the federal government.

It's not tyrannical in my book to require international arrivals to quarantine for two weeks, at home or elsewhere, to ensure they don't have or go on to spread the virus. And to follow that up with daily checks to ensure compliance. Now it's being done around the world, not just in Thailand.

But except for some repatriation flights, not in the U.S. under Trump.  At the beginning, it could have helped stop or slow the spread of the disease in the U.S.

Now, thanks to Trump, other countries probably are thinking about how they need to protect themselves and their countries from virus carrying Americans traveling from the U.S.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

And forcing citizens into government quarantine would've been doubly possible and surely welcomed 

Isn't that exactly what they did with the passengers disembarked from the cruise ship  in Japan?

8 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

when NY cases are skyrocketing, NY threatens sue other states

They did? I don't recall seeing that...and cannot find any reference to this.  Can you expand please?

PH

Edited by Phulublub

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

this guys so selfish.

nobody i Australia wears a mask it is not recommend it by the medical

profession only recommend it if you feel sick.  

2 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

What do you think Thailand finally took to doing?  Closing off international travel and mandatory quarantines on arriving passengers, including their own citizens. 

That's what it takes... but Trump and Co. didn't have the guts to do what was required.... Because h/chloroquine and a soon arriving vaccine would cure all ills!!!

And he knew better than the medical professionals who had warned him a pandemic was coming...

LOL so Trump should have banned AMERICANS from coming HOME and because he didn't (and very likely couldn't and even if he tried would have been fought by literally everyone) he didn't have the guts? 

You guys are laughable hypocrites. Trump doesn't have the power, Trump should have done this Tyrannical move, Trump failed, Trump this. Trump that. 

18 minutes ago, Yinn said:

this guys so selfish.

Mask wearing is disputed, shaking hands is not.

7 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

The only entity with jurisdiction over international air traffic arrivals to the U.S. is the federal government.

It's not tyrannical in my book to require international arrivals to quarantine for two weeks, at home or elsewhere, to ensure they don't have or go on to spread the virus. And to follow that up with daily checks to ensure compliance. Now it's being done around the world, not just in Thailand.

Dont worry, I noticed the walkback here. First you say they should have banned Americans from coming home, then you say they should have government quarantined them, now you're saying that they should quarantine at home ????

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Now, thanks to Trump, other countries probably are thinking about how they need to protect themselves and their countries from virus carrying Americans traveling from the U.S.

Anyone who thinks that if any other president was at the helm, things would have gone better is a laughable partisan who should not be taken seriously, and furthermore if there were half the cases in the USA that there are now it would not have any bearing on Americans traveling - because its a GLOBAL pandemic and its going to stay that way until vaccines are available or the virus runs its course. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Anyone who thinks that if any other president was at the helm, things would have gone better is a laughable partisan

I think pretty much most people in the world think the U.S. would have done better with any other president at the helm....

Except for you...who of course aren't trying to absolve Trump of any and all blame.

If any other U.S. president had mishandled the CV as horribly as Trump has, I'd be saying exactly the same things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I never said ban Americans from coming home. I said, several times, ban foreign nationals and mandatory two week quarantines for returning Americans.

Dont worry, I have the receipts: 

50 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And even then, the travel restriction only applied to European nationals, and not U.S. citizens or green card holders or military members or their families returning to the U.S. from Europe... All of whom could, after arriving back to the U.S., go about as they wished without any government enforced quarantine period.

Here you are, angry that Trump didn't ban travel for American Citizens, Members of the Military and their Families, and you go on to further state that he should have Government quarantined them. 

I just hope more Americans notice how utterly tyrannical the left can be, so willing to trash rights and liberty as soon as a virus emerges. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Dont worry, I have the receipts: 

Here you are, angry that Trump didn't ban travel for American Citizens, Members of the Military and their Families, and you go on to further state that he should have Government quarantined them. 

I just hope more Americans notice how utterly tyrannical the left can be, so willing to trash rights and liberty as soon as a virus emerges. 

You're being obtuse. What I said above wasn't in any way calling for a ban on returning Americans.

It merely pointed out they were able to return from Trump's Europe ban (that's what his policy allowed), and then once here, had no mandatory quarantine requirement. The lack of the latter allowed the virus to spread.

So in case you're still unclear, probably intentionally so, yes, I would have favored a mandatory two week quarantine on all Americans returning from virus impacted areas at that time.

Saving and protecting American lives is not tyranny, especially for two weeks of inconvenience. And as I noted above, that's exactly what many countries including Thailand are doing right now.

Responsibility -- federal government. Failure -- federal government.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I think pretty much most people in the world think the U.S. would have done better with any other president at the helm....

Except for you...who of course aren't trying to absolve Trump of any and all blame.

If any other U.S. president had mishandled the CV as horribly as Trump has, I'd be saying exactly the same things.

Most people in the world (including you apparently) do not understand how the US is structured and how it works. Its a balance between rights and liberty freedom across a huge landmass separated into 50 states, all with their own rules and laws, on top of Federal law. The federal government does not lord over states, they have autonomy. Rights and liberty do not get thrown out the window because of viruses. You can make the argument that the US is not structured very well to combat viruses, that would be valid, but hanging blame on a single person is illogical and partisan. I have zero doubt that this would have been a pandemic even if Jesus was president due to the inherent way the country works and the partisan divide that keeps evolving. 

Seems like to you, Trump should have just declared martial law and just took over - locking everything and everyone down - but of course you and all the other haters who dont understand how the country works would have melted down at that too. 

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, Mama Noodle said:

Most people in the world (including you apparently) do not understand how the US is structured and how it works. Its a balance between rights and liberty freedom across a huge landmass separated into 50 states, all with their own rules and laws, on top of Federal law. The federal government does not lord over states, they have autonomy. Rights and liberty do not get thrown out the window because of viruses. 

Trump and the federal government had/have the authority, the ONLY authority, to restrict international air travel coming into the U.S. -- banning foreign nationals and requiring quarantine for arriving Americans and repatriations. The states don't have all those rights. And the feds under Trump, virus denier in chief, didn't do it early enough or broadly enough. And now we're heading toward 100,000 dead.

That's what I'd call the tyranny of incompetence.

PS - Foreign nationals have no inherent rights to come to the U.S.  And Americans have no inherent right to spread communicable diseases to others.

• Like 2