Pattaya beach-goers threatened with 100,000 baht fines and imprisonment

webfact

I wonder if this is like most Thai dual-tier pricing schemes.

One sign for foreigners written in English: "100,000 THB fine for you!!!"
Another sign for Thai written in Thai: "500 THB fine for you!!!"

It would be interesting to see the Thai signage.  Maybe someone could post a picture of Thai beach closure signs.

Here you see how much they welcome farang. WELCOME IN THE LAND OF EXTORTION, SURE NOT SMILE. Pay few 100 thb for drunk driving and maybe killing someone, but yeah you farang, English only, set a foot on the beach and go to jail or pay mass of money.

Pure junta, pure dictatorship this country is living in

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, thailien8 said:

There are many signs with the same message in several languages, most definitely including Thai.  

Some posters here are so quick to mock and belittle Thai authorities.  

My guess is that most are doing this from a safe distance in their home countries.  My fear as an expat living in Pattaya is that these authorities are reading the comments and reacting negatively.

You must have "missed" my #71 that was just the next post below it, but I guess that one didn't give you the opportunity for this blah-blah.

Maybe your "My fear as an expat living in Pattaya ..."?

As an "Alien" here, watch out for- and avoid contact with- every authorithy in Thailand is a very sound piece of advice, no doubt. But when you feel the need to "fear" the authorities whatever, maybe, IMHO, there could be more "comfortable" places for your kind of person...

About little-me your guess would be both right and wrong: right that I have learned to keep myself at a safe distance (read above), wrong as I am in Thailand, not that far from you.

I'm not "a tough guy" at all, but let us better not make an appointment, as I have histamine problems, and I ...fear having an allergic reaction to you, even at 1.5m. with a mask. 

• Sad 1

On a side note, Captain Obvious is wondering:

"Instead of allowing people to spread out over all of those empty beaches, they are forced to congregate in mass on the sidewalks bordering the beach in order to prevent 'the second wave'?" 
Humm.  SARS-Cov-2 breeds in the sand??? ????

image1.jpg.566051671053306c9ccbe172154a4367.jpg

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

One just above I believe.

Ok.  Same, same. Not different with the signs.  Other than possibly the enforcement.  Enforcement could still be two-tiered.

• Like 1

It doesn't seem to have made the news section here yet, but another three farangs have been arrested swimming in the sea at Pratumnak. The cops tried to get them to stop but they refused, pretty stupid of them. The story's on Pattaya News, anyway.

34 minutes ago, connda said:

Ok.  Same, same. Not different with the signs.  Other than possibly the enforcement.  Enforcement could still be two-tiered.

Always has been....

• Like 1

The salt water the vitamin D from the sun and the healing sand is not consistent with the regimes plan for the nation which id to make fat unhealthy people who cannot defend themselves. 160 people in the hospital and 55 deaths ( all from other causes and not COVID) Is sufficient reason to keep all facilities closed indefinitely! The regime know what they are doing, trust!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sumarianson said:

The salt water the vitamin D from the sun and the healing sand is not consistent with the regimes plan for the nation which id to make fat unhealthy people who cannot defend themselves. 160 people in the hospital and 55 deaths ( all from other causes and not COVID) Is sufficient reason to keep all facilities closed indefinitely! The regime know what they are doing, trust!

There are many who have died who were not "fat an unhealthy", moronic and insensitive thing to say during these very tough and sad times... 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Here you see how much they welcome farang. WELCOME IN THE LAND OF EXTORTION, SURE NOT SMILE. Pay few 100 thb for drunk driving and maybe killing someone, but yeah you farang, English only, set a foot on the beach and go to jail or pay mass of money.

It depends on where you live in Thailand. Out here in rural Khampaeng Phet we have plenty of sand in the klong beds but no water. We haven;t had any Covid-19 cases either.

Nobody extorts money up here either.

On 5/8/2020 at 4:03 PM, Captain Monday said:

Why only in English ? 

I just came from a ride down Jomtien Beach Rd. and the same message is on duplicate signs but in CHINESE & THAI . The picture here is in English for YOUR benefit . If it were shown in the other 2 languages I'm sure you would be just as critical. 

IMG_66931.jpg

On 5/8/2020 at 5:20 PM, billd766 said:

That seems to me that punishment and threats is all this government is good at. 

690 people break the curfew, have friends around for a couple of drinks to relax. Up comes the heavy handed BiB, arrests and fines all around and the government threatens to ban the booze again for everybody.

Whatever happened to happiness and reconciliation for the Thai people promised 6 years ago by the PM?

Have a look at what’s happening in other countries people are being fined, confined to their homes, barred from visiting relatives what is happening here is pretty mild.

You can take the risk but not me thanks.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Have a look at what’s happening in other countries people are being fined, confined to their homes, barred from visiting relatives what is happening here is pretty mild.

You can take the risk but not me thanks.

In Khampaeng Phet province there have been NO cases of Covid-19, no confinements to home and AFAIK completely risk free.

Yet we still have the curfew which affects very few people and we had the booze ban which has been lifted now. Otherwise life is normal with silly rules such as wearing a mask in the car. 2 days ago there was me, my son and his 2 mates in the car all wearing masks. We got home and the 4 of us took off our masks as we were in the same room.

The problem as I see it is that they make the rules without thinking through the consequences before publishing them.

How many people do you actually know who have been tested positive? I don't know of any.

Very good. 

Thais : positive, united, a "together we can defeat this crisis" attitude, sharing tips and positive news on social media. 

The Farang: complaining, ridiculing, know everything better, negative attitude, not wanting to comply with measurements (even they are not in their own country). Egoistic.

"Be in Rome, do like the Romans." 

Edited by herwin1234

5 hours ago, ericdiam said:

Please read before you post. the sign is in many languages including Thai and Chinese, and the fine is the same.

Look around, all Thais wear a mask, wash their hands in shops, smile and comply, bc they understand tge seriousnes and know only united this crisis can be solved. This is not a dictatorship you are living in, just a focused leadership who makes the decisions based on reality and medical advice and who dont politisize this crisis.

Smart people, not dumb leaders who politisize and fool their citizens and suggest unproven medications and even injecting bleach.

2 hours ago, billd766 said:

In Khampaeng Phet province there have been NO cases of Covid-19, no confinements to home and AFAIK completely risk free.

Yet we still have the curfew which affects very few people and we had the booze ban which has been lifted now. Otherwise life is normal with silly rules such as wearing a mask in the car. 2 days ago there was me, my son and his 2 mates in the car all wearing masks. We got home and the 4 of us took off our masks as we were in the same room.

The problem as I see it is that they make the rules without thinking through the consequences before publishing them.

How many people do you actually know who have been tested positive? I don't know of any.

Very intersting and informative post about the situation in Khampaeng Phet province

in general and about your life in particular, but i am still trying to find the link with the

topic ''Pattaya beach goers threatened with 100 000 bahts fines and imprisnment''

On 5/8/2020 at 12:08 PM, Destiny1990 said:

FYI These beaches were already dead empty just prior to the corona virus outbreak !

I have to say, I don't go much to Pattaya but it has to be one of the worst beaches in Thailand, the question to locals is do you really use it, miss?