Home built pool

mirage

I am thinking of building a 6x3x1 meter swimming pool. I will work with our local builder as we have worked together for years and he is really good, just lack finishing touches, that’s where I come in. So I know nothing about building a pool. Have any of you made your own pool with bricks, cement and tiles. Another thing is I have unlimited amount of pumped Mekong water available. I know it would have to be filtered in some way. It would be a shame not to make use of it in some way.

in mètres that would be a pretty big jacuzzi.

actually I am on the lookout for a large jacuzzi just to use as a sit in on hot days. I don’t care about jets. Only need a filter system.

if anyone has one for sale near Udon please let me know. 

15 hours ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

Why not buy a big jacuzzi , i feel 6×3×1 is not much bigger then a big jacuzzi + those jacuzzi's have water jets and built in light etc . 

Yeah, 6x3x1 meter is a pond,not a pool. 

• Like 1

You dont want to do this; had it and was a disaster. When moving I built a pool whereby using a fiberglass basin, took 4 (four) days to install; with chlorinator, filters, piping and wiring THB 500K for an 8x4x1.3 metre pool. Happy like a fish in water. Pool supplier (Australian) in Rayong, delivered and installed on site in Nong Khai; can share details if you're interested ???? 

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

You dont want to do this; had it and was a disaster. When moving I built a pool whereby using a fiberglass basin, took 4 (four) days to install; with chlorinator, filters, piping and wiring THB 500K for an 8x4x1.3 metre pool. Happy like a fish in water. Pool supplier (Australian) in Rayong, delivered and installed on site in Nong Khai; can share details if you're interested ???? 

My friend in Pattaya Built a 8 m (l) x 4 m (w) x 1.75 (d) out of cement with all the trimmings for under 500k.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

I am a dealer agent for them. Large jacuzzi's and small pools are available.

IMG_2014120854647.jpg

IMG_2014121931223.jpg

P1140531 (Small).JPG

P1010008 (Small).jpg

photo 3 (1).jpg

shell-pool-4.jpg

Resort.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/14/2020 at 1:38 PM, mirage said:

Hi, what is the cost of the 6x3x1.3 Resort tub ?.

That looks like a great size for cooling off in the hot season. So how much would it cost, installed?

1 hour ago, Kwarium said:

That looks like a great size for cooling off in the hot season. So how much would it cost, installed?

Ball Park 450 - 600 K depending on options, where & ground conditions.

...generally, people who do not swim gravitate to pool ownership for some strange reason. Pools are great to look at, until the maintenance bills come due. I've made a good living tearing out hot tubs for people wanting to rid themselves of their nightmare. You want to swim? Suss out local pools. You want to soak? Get a bathtub.

• Like 2

On 5/9/2020 at 10:18 AM, mirage said:

Where are you located? If in Phuket we could build a cheap concrete & tile pool for you

Ok I went for the Intex above ground pool. Really impressed much better than I expected. Had it a couple of months now and use it daily. It's just great for cooling down. Maintenance is minimal, I had to change the supplied cartridge filter pump to a sand pump. Very happy.DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.4aa5b0a3b692ef25d2876a1809e44409.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/10/2020 at 1:13 PM, Sydebolle said:

500,000 baht? Did Australian citizens fly over to install it also?

• Haha 1

Just now, Bagwain said:

You obviously know stuff all about swimming pools by this reaction!! 

Not in Thailand no, in Australia yes, it's just that this price gets you a decent in-ground swimming pool in Aus, thats all.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2020 at 5:09 PM, Heppinger said:

500,000 baht? Did Australian citizens fly over to install it also?

No, but the company in Rayong is owned and run by an Australian who takes his job very passionate. I am certainly a happy customer ???? 

5 hours ago, Sydebolle said:

No, but the company in Rayong is owned and run by an Australian who takes his job very passionate. I am certainly a happy customer ???? 

Yep I am a dealer for him! 

• Like 1

• 9 months later...
5 hours ago, sparticus666 said:

so how much is it in Thailand?

I built my 12x3m 1.4m deep, 16 years ago as DIY with village brick layers (their first pool job) for some 150,000. Describing some details in another thread.

In short: It was built by the usual cinder blocks 40x20x7cm, only the first 2 layers made doubled, a steel wire 3mm inserted horizontally under the block together with mortar (simple cement). Usual tiles 8"x10" (kitchen tiles as some call it here) bought on sale, glued-in by simple cement mortar.       

05111805.JPG

05112610.JPG

05121006.JPG

05122333.JPG

As shown on the last picture, one side is with overflow channel. And as the last backfilling to the pool walls was not very well compacted, the side walkways were after years cracking somehow, therefore the OF channel was leaking despite numerous repairs.

And as I did not have bottom outlets, I decided to add 10 cm to the bottom with embedded  outlet pipes, dig out the walkways and make better foundation underneath, and increase the wall thickness by one more block with new tiles 12"x12".  All was added to the original tiles by cement mortar. 

11032302.JPG

11032601.JPG

11040502.JPG

The re-construction was made 6 years after the construction. This is to show that there is no need for a strong reinforcement structure as I see often. The pressure of 1.4m water column is same as in any other water tank 1.4 m deep. I have such tanks for water pre-treatment as I have been using a ground water with very strong iron content, in years developed a system of sedimenting and filtering. Otherwise I would  not be able to treat water even with a low level of chlorination. (picture showing the contrast of the fresh ground water and the water in pool).

So, with these new re-tiling (kitchen tiles 12"x12") the pool has been in operation another 10 years without any problems, even surviving twice quite a strong earthquake. 

17110446.JPG

17111116.JPG