Returning to Thailand After Expiration of Blacklist Period

Hello,

I was blacklisted 10 years ago for working in Bangkok on a project without my company having the correct visa's in place. It has been confirmed I am definitely on the blacklist for a duration of 5 years. The 5 years has long passed and I am now eligible to apply to return to Thailand. I have contacted various lawyers and also applied for Thailand Elite (I dont have the money for it but wanted to see what they had to say). Thailandelite said I am not eligible to apply until I have engaged a lawyer to clear things with Immigration first. I am getting different stories from the lawyers - one saying they can apply for my removal but I need justification for returning (implying vacation is not a good enough reason).Another saying they will lobby on my behalf.

Is there anyone here that has actually gone though this process? Can you please advise on how best to do this and how long it takes.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

Immigration should of already removed the blacklisting if it has already expired but they often fail to remove it from their system.

I don't think there is a requirement for you to a have valid reason for entering the country.

6 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Immigration should of already removed the blacklisting if it has already expired but they often fail to remove it from their system.

I don't think there is a requirement for you to a have valid reason for entering the country.

Sadly, I am still on the list. Thailandelite actually checked with immigration before they would accept my application. They said I should get a lawyer to contact Immigration on my behalf to request removal - apparently its not automatic ????  As a result, I have contacted lawyers and getting mixed messages from them on what is required.

Edited by DFpad

This is probably not the best time to be doing such as nobody is currently being allowed to enter Thailand for any reason so what will be the case in a month or two is still up in the air (there may be work/family requirements for those coming first and likely to be quarantine so tourists would not want to come and different countries may be subject to different rules).  We are trying to come out of a black hole.

The Black Hole – Description, Discussion and Writing | designer ...

19 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

This is probably not the best time to be doing such as nobody is currently being allowed to enter Thailand for any reason so what will be the case in a month or two is still up in the air (there may be work/family requirements for those coming first and likely to be quarantine so tourists would not want to come and different countries may be subject to different rules).  We are trying to come out of a black hole.

The Black Hole – Description, Discussion and Writing | designer ...

I was thinking that it's going to take some time to process so best initiate now.

Where do you come from ?

I believe if you have well done your time if a visa on arrival is possible it will be given.

Bring your old passport to prove same. It may take half an hour but you will get in if you do not have a criminal record here

On 5/9/2020 at 6:04 AM, DFpad said:

I was thinking that it's going to take some time to process so best initiate now.

I agree, get it done now and then it opens up plans for the future when you are ready.

3 hours ago, Nigel Sri Thanonchai said:

As I have explained previously Royal Thai Immigration do not remove Blacklist ,you will be denied entry and returned to your country ,you will need to PM me and I will direct you to the woman who will remove you from the List

If you knew your stuff you would know it's doubtful he will even get to Thailand - His blacklist entry will show when he checks in for his flight and he will be denied boarding

Happened to a few who have posted on here when they have been blacklisted

5 hours ago, natway09 said:

Where do you come from ?

I believe if you have well done your time if a visa on arrival is possible it will be given.

Bring your old passport to prove same. It may take half an hour but you will get in if you do not have a criminal record here

If you try to check in for a flight to Thailand while on the blacklist, the airline will receive a DNB ("do not board") instruction which comes without explanation, and is pretty much unappealable. I have heard different stories on what happens if you arrive at a land boarder with the original court documents and old passport. Some suggest that it is possible to appeal the denied entry with a good chance of success. Definitely better to ensure you are removed from immigration's database as a PNG before trying to come.

• Like 1

I was deported and blacklisted in 2016 , after a prison sentence, I originally pleaded not guilty, but had to change my plea witness run of and didn't show in court, who would be the best to find out if one day would like to return,  (Not wasting time with lawyer's had enough of there false promises.  ?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fuzzie said:

I was deported and blacklisted in 2016 , after a prison sentence, I originally pleaded not guilty, but had to change my plea witness run of and didn't show in court, who would be the best to find out if one day would like to return,  (Not wasting time with lawyer's had enough of there false promises.  ?

I think yours would be a different story having done jail time

• 2 years later...

Hi,

To recap, 12 years ago I was placed on the blacklist for 5 years for working with no work permit.

I have just paid for a lawyer (recommended by a good friend in Thailand) to check the blacklist. The lawyer came back saying that their immigration contact said I am not in the blacklist.

Sounds great, but several lawyers I contacted 3 years ago said I would always remain on the blacklist and that I should apply to Thai Immigration for permission to enter as 5 years has passed (I did this a year ago but no reply from Thai Immigration). If Thai Immigration grant me entry, he said they would flag my record in the blacklist against my name saying OK to enter. (i.e I would still be in the blacklist but allowed to enter).  This conflicts with lawyer one who said I am not on the blacklist now.

I have a dilemma:

1. Do I get a 3rd opinion?  OR

2. Travel to Thailand now and see what happens?

If I do travel:

Land Border crossing - if I am still on the blacklist they perhaps will just turn me around on the spot and tell me to go back to Cambodia/Malaysia (i.e. not send me to the IDC in BKK and deport me).

Fly. If I fly I may get a Do Not Board (DNB) at check-in. But, if for some reason I don't get a DNB and arrive in BKK and am still on the blacklist, the lawyers from 3 years ago said I will likely get arrested, taken to the IDC and then deported.

I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

Edited by DFpad

1 hour ago, DFpad said:

Land Border crossing - if I am still on the blacklist they perhaps will just turn me around on the spot and tell me to go back to Cambodia/Malaysia (i.e. not send me to the IDC in BKK and deport me).

Interesting.  Will wait for an expert.   It seems like most of us (without an expert opinion) would try this option.  I'd try it.  If blacklisted, you just turn around and don't enter.  At an airport, seems much scarier.    I don't see them arresting you at all, it's not a warrant.   Rejected at a land crossing would be a headache, and that's it.    Good luck.   Just start in a country you don't mind staying in if you can't get into Thailand. I have a feeling you will be allowed in.  

1 hour ago, DFpad said:

2. Travel to Thailand now and see what happens?

If I do travel:

You should try doing an entry since your ban ended several years ago. And you do have one person stating it is no longer a problem to enter the country.

By land would be a good option. Just turn around and re-enter the other country.

By air is also a option if you have a return or onward ticket you could use if denied entry. They would probably put you in detention until your flight out was available.

First, if you are denied entry, you will never be taken to the IDC and deported. That is not how a denied entry works.

If you try to fly into Thailand, there are three possibilities:

1. The airline will receive a DNB (do not board) instruction from Thai immigration via the Advance Passenger Information System. This is very frustrating, as it is usually impervious to any negotiation.
  2. You arrive in Bangkok, and Immigration tell you that you are blacklisted, and will be denied entry. At this point, you have a chance to argue your case, and will probably ultimately be allowed to enter. If not, you will be held for a few hours at the airport until the airline that brought you to Thailand arranges your removal.
  3. You arrive and enter without incident.

Entering by land, you will either be admitted without incident, or Immigration will try to send you back. You will have a chance to argue your case and, at some land crossings, they will probably make the effort to determine whether you ought to be blacklisted, ultimately admitting you.

A possible strategy would be to buy a ticket (important: same airline) that transits Bangkok to Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur. On arrival in Bangkok, try to enter. If unsuccessful, the airline should be happy to remove you on the already booked onward flight. You could then try to negotiate your way across by land.

It would be possible (but expensive) to have a well connected Thai immigration lawyer aware of your planned arrival flight, and prepared to assist you with the negotiations with Thai immigration on arrival. This relies on dodging a DNB instruction via APIS which is why I suggest only seeming to transit in Bangkok.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/23/2022 at 4:08 PM, BritTim said:

First, if you are denied entry, you will never be taken to the IDC and deported. That is not how a denied entry works.

If you try to fly into Thailand, there are three possibilities:

1. The airline will receive a DNB (do not board) instruction from Thai immigration via the Advance Passenger Information System. This is very frustrating, as it is usually impervious to any negotiation.
  2. You arrive in Bangkok, and Immigration tell you that you are blacklisted, and will be denied entry. At this point, you have a chance to argue your case, and will probably ultimately be allowed to enter. If not, you will be held for a few hours at the airport until the airline that brought you to Thailand arranges your removal.
  3. You arrive and enter without incident.

Entering by land, you will either be admitted without incident, or Immigration will try to send you back. You will have a chance to argue your case and, at some land crossings, they will probably make the effort to determine whether you ought to be blacklisted, ultimately admitting you.

A possible strategy would be to buy a ticket (important: same airline) that transits Bangkok to Vientiane or Kuala Lumpur. On arrival in Bangkok, try to enter. If unsuccessful, the airline should be happy to remove you on the already booked onward flight. You could then try to negotiate your way across by land.

It would be possible (but expensive) to have a well connected Thai immigration lawyer aware of your planned arrival flight, and prepared to assist you with the negotiations with Thai immigration on arrival. This relies on dodging a DNB instruction via APIS which is why I suggest only seeming to transit in Bangkok.

Thanks. I am thinking I will try and transit via BKK airport. The flight I am looking at is Thai Airways inbound - transit - Thai Smile outbound.   I understand that Smile is part of the TG group but will this combination constitute a same airline transit (both TG flight numbers)?

1 hour ago, DFpad said:

Thanks. I am thinking I will try and transit via BKK airport. The flight I am looking at is Thai Airways inbound - transit - Thai Smile outbound.   I understand that Smile is part of the TG group but will this combination constitute a same airline transit (both TG flight numbers)?

I do not know the answer to that question. As far as Thai immigration is concerned, they will be treated as separate airlines. However, depending on how the organisational structure works, the airline supervisor for Thai Airways might be both happy and empowered to put you on the Thai Smile flight if the worst came to the worst. If the Thai Smile subsidiary operates more independently, there could be a turf battle that prevents this from happening. I am not sure how you can find out. This is not the kind of question you can expect to be answered by simply emailing Thai Airways.

1 hour ago, DFpad said:

Unless the flights allow you to transit by remaining in the arriving flight area and then to the departure area  you would have to clear immigration in Bangkok.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Unless the flights allow you to transit by remaining in the arriving flight area and then to the departure area  you would have to clear immigration in Bangkok.

Joe, the plan is to try to enter Thailand (never using the outbound flight). However,

1. He wants to avoid a DNB (Do Not Board) instruction to the airline if he is still banned from entry to Thailand. The fact that his itinerary shows him only transiting in Bangkok will hopefully accomplish that.
  2. If he is denied entry, he wants to ensure that he is sent to a nearby country, not back to the UK. I suggested that if he already had a soon to be departing flight on the airline that brought him to Thailand, the airline would be strongly incentivised to simply put him on that flight if he is denied entry.

Edited by BritTim

On 5/9/2020 at 10:49 AM, DFpad said:

I am now eligible to apply to return

Fly into Cambodia and do a land crossing.  Any problems you can head back to Cambodia.

Honestly I really enjoy Cambodia Phenom Phen is no slouch where night life and beautiful girls are concerned

Good luck! 

24 minutes ago, BritTim said:

oe, the plan is to try to enter Thailand (never using the outbound flight). However,

I got topics mixed up and the Thai Smile flight made me think of a domestic flight.

Edit: I don't think will be denied entry. But I would suggest he have a TM11 appeal form ready to force them to double check about the black listing.

Download: TM11 appeal form.pdf135.52 kB · 188 downloads

On 5/10/2020 at 5:06 PM, 007 RED said:

and explain in simple terms that you were banned for 5 years, 10 years ago, and wish to return to Thailand (no need to explain why you want to return) - keep it short and simple.

i would DEEPLY explain them why i want to return to thailand after they banned me because of illegal working... 

the first question comes to mind would be... again?