New normal: Screens for taxis made by Thai Air Force aim to inspire passenger confidence

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

Can't see the "fixed" meter either.

To be honest, if I hailed a cab and he had one of these I would be waiting for another cab.

+1 In fact I usually sit in the front so I can chat with the driver if he speaks English and I can more easily watch where he's going or help with finding a place.

10 hours ago, Wiggy said:

Isn’t touch a way for the disease to be transmitted? 

Yes indeed, and exactly what I thought. Does the taxi driver issue hand gel (or similar) to accept the fare and does he spray the money with disinfectant??? Typical Thai stupidity and paranoia! but I have been getting in and out of tuk-tuks here in Cambodia for the last three months - no masks, no hand gel, no screens and no ill effects to date (today's temperature 36.6)!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, khunPer said:

And I thought the whole idea was to stop virus spread through air, stupid me...????

No. The idea all along has been to "flatten the curve". That, to me, means everybody must get infected, just not all at the same time. Hence the new cab 'box' compartment that does nothing to sterilize the rider area between fares. ????

Pathetic but this type of thing is quite normal in despotic countries. 

A type of suck up behavior.

Everyone is trying to show themselves as how much they are concerned and work hard to their superiors. 

18 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

Channel 7 reported that a senior representative of the Royal Thai Air Force presented a prototype of a new plastic shield to protect taxi drivers and passengers from contracting the coronavirus in cabs.

Six fans and a "grope hole" to transmit the infection.. nice work, but the price is right !!

Where exactly in a taxi are the AC vents?

Why not have a cage around the driver like they do in China. Oh wait... We are not China...Yet.

Edited by VocalNeal

21 hours ago, Wiggy said:

So the virus gets on your gloves, then you touch somebody/thing else or your face, and then what?

You probably get sick and die. As with all of this, common sense should prevail. What a stupid question.

2 hours ago, Catkiwi said:

You probably get sick and die. As with all of this, common sense should prevail. What a stupid question.

It was a rhetorical question, and not as stupid as your suggestion of wearing gloves as, by your own admission, can lead to the spread of the disease. 

• Haha 1

it is impossible to see the direction to where the taxi is heading. So impossible to give instructions to the driver. all the other ridiculous things about this screen are summed up in the previous comments.

Brainless design

• Like 2