Thailand Has 4th Fastest Internet Speeds in the World As of March 2020

Pib

17 hours ago, NilSS said:

OK fair enough. For the record, I usually get ping times via my SG rack to the UK around 190 ms round trip, pretty close to the theoretical best case for that route. Pinging from Thailand I don't think I ever saw it go under 220 ms

round trip from Thailand to London (UK) always less than 200ms (197ms) on my connection. Don't need Sg.

.0-macosx\ 2/speedtest ; exit;

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: Structured Communications - London (id = 11445)
        ISP: UK Dedicated Servers Limited
    Latency:   197.93 ms   (0.33 ms jitter)
   Download:   259.31 Mbps (data used: 380.5 MB)                               
     Upload:   121.66 Mbps (data used: 202.7 MB)                               
Packet Loss:    11.3%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/d7ca8611-9e18-4b05-b26c-e82fc10525f1
logout
Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]

5 hours ago, muratremix said:

root@Synology:~# ./speedtest --server-id=367

Speedtest by Ookla

Server: NewMedia Express - Singapore (id = 367)
        ISP: 3BB Broadband
    Latency:    36.09 ms   (1.21 ms jitter)
   Download:   668.26 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)                               
     Upload:   904.78 Mbps (data used: 1.1 GB)                               
Packet Loss:     0.0%
 Result URL: https://www.speedtest.net/result/c/ae1def8a-82f6-4007-8935-4e3db44754d2

Hi, if using ookla in CLI, is it possible to manually select server location for the test?

Tanks a lot.

38 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Hi, if using ookla in CLI, is it possible to manually select server location for the test?

Tanks a lot.

Yes.  You enter the command like "speedtest -L" or "speedtest --servers" and it shows a list of nearby servers with an ID number for each server.   If wanting a list from say around London then make a VPN connection and then run speedtest -L to show the list of nearby servers to London.  Like below is the list given from my location here in Bangkok.   Jot down the number of the server you want to test against....maybe make several VPN connections to different parts of the world to develop your list.

Say you want to run the test against the 3BB server just enter the command "speedtest -s 8990"

Entering "speedtest -h" with provide a help screen on the various command options.

C:\Users\Downloads\Speedtest CLI>speedtest -L
Closest servers:

ID  Name                           Location             Country
==============================================================================
  8990  3BB                            Bangkok              Thailand
 13871  CAT Telecom Public Company Limited Bangkok              Thailand
  6521  Symphony Communication Public Company Limited Bangkok              Thailand
  2459  AWN                            Bangkok              Thailand
  5394  CS LoxInfo                     Bangkok              Thailand
  9830  Bangmod Enterprise Co., Ltd.   Bangkok              Thailand
 16628  NIPA.CLOUD 1st Cloud Thailand  Bangkok              Thailand
  3147  AIS                            Bangkok              Thailand
  9361  TOT Public Company Limited     Bangkok              Thailand
  5431  Chulalongkorn University       Bangkok              Thailand

Edited by Pib

Thailand Has 4th Fastest Internet Speeds in the World As of March 2020. 

Yea right if you believe that than you believe anything. 

Down South here its as fast as a Wet wick . Hopeless waiting to load  a page or Fb or U tube or TV.

18 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

1000mps ? It may be advertised but I doubt anyone gets that.

However, I agree, upload speeds in the western world are appalling.

In February engineers were busy outside my house installing FTTP (Fibre to the premises) lines. These will provide 1GB download regardless of distance from cabinet. Then Covid popped up and all the work stopped. Expecting it to be completed within 6 months though.

And this is in rural North Suffolk, miles from London or any big city.

It won't be cheap though - likely to be around £50/month (2000Bt).

Thai internet is very good - generally cheaper and faster than UK by miles.

Surprised how high Romania was.  One of the things that I miss after moving from Thailand to the Philippines is the internet.  My cable company delivers an amazing 2.5/.5 mbps.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, mrfill said:

In February engineers were busy outside my house installing FTTP (Fibre to the premises) lines. These will provide 1GB download regardless of distance from cabinet. Then Covid popped up and all the work stopped. Expecting it to be completed within 6 months though.

And this is in rural North Suffolk, miles from London or any big city.

It won't be cheap though - likely to be around £50/month (2000Bt).

Thai internet is very good - generally cheaper and faster than UK by miles.

Nice, who is that with ?

4 minutes ago, AAArdvark said:

Surprised how high Romania was.  One of the things that I miss after moving from Thailand to the Philippines is the internet.  My cable company delivers an amazing 2.5/.5 mbps.

This article expands why Romania has fast internet speed.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/jp5aa3/why-romanias-internet-is-so-much-faster-than-americas

And your low speed in the P.I. must be due to your internet line running "uphill" to your residence. ????

18 minutes ago, Pib said:

Little hard to believe unless talking some special leased line to a big business which would probably cost an arm and a leg.

COX in Phoenix AZ now only shows plans to 1Gb.

https://www.cox.com/local/residential/az/phoenix/internet

There is always some keyboard warrior finding something on the internet to bolster their lack of experience or Knowledge

When Cox first started fiber in Arizona, 6 or so years ago, 5 gb residential internet was available for $79.95 a month.

Now if you are one of those St**** S**** that cannot believe anything they can't find on the internet, sorry to be you.

And 1 gb is a hell of a lot faster than 200 Mbps

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

I don't understand why BT is so expensive. It's their lines.

Will check it out. Thanks

I did some contract work for them a few years ago.

Too many chiefs, not enough indians.....

31 minutes ago, bwpage3 said:

When Cox first started fiber in Arizona, 6 or so years ago, 5 gb residential internet was available for $79.95 a month.

Never-ever heard of a 5Gb residential plan....would require special business class equipment....cost a lot of money.    Sorry, still don't believe it.   Now back around that timeframe 5GB mobile data packages would cost around $79.

And below 6 year old/2014 news article talks COX first coming to Phoenix and offering its 1Gb Gigablast interet speed plan for $69. See weblink for full article...partial quote also below.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/2014/10/26/cox-internet-gigabit-high-speed-phoenix/17949237/

The race to provide gigabit Internet service in Phoenix appears to be revving up.

Cox Communications will provide its ultra-high-speed Internet service called G1GABLAST to its first residential customer by the end of the month, and plans to sign on more customers in an Ahwatukee Foothills neighborhood in November, company officials said.

Phoenix is the first city where Cox is offering residential customers access to gigabit Internet, a service the company has been deploying to businesses since 2007.

As neighborhoods come online with gigabit service, the company plans to promote the available service by e-mail notifications, mailers, door-to-door sales ambassadors and neighborhood rallies. G1GABLAST will cost $69.99 per month when combined with Cox's most popular service bundles.

Edited by Pib
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Pib said:

Never-ever heard of a 5Gb residential plan....would require special business class equipment....cost a lot of money.    Sorry, still don't believe it.   Now back around tha

I find all of this pretty absurd actually. Who needs a 1 Gbps connection in their home, really? It's no different from all the nonsense hype around 4G and 5G. Who needs a gagillion gabillion bps on their mobile phone? Ridiculous. You can stream a HD movie for 3 Mbps.

Now, if you're tranferring large volumes of data between offices on fixed lines, then yes, it will help. We don't have any 1 Gbps lines but we achieve those speeds cumulatively. We have a main line from ToT, corporate line with a block of 5 static IPs. It's only 100 Mbps symmetrical but more then enough. The other 3 lines are baseline packages from 3bb, CAT and True. Total bandwidth between them is around 1 Gbps, which we load balance. The major advantage of this arrangement is very robust redundancy.

But really, nobody needs these ridiculous speeds at home, certainly not in 2020. Maybe in the future.

• Haha 1

I don't know much about internet but I have a True 30mbps package, the bog standard, and yes, it does get that speed when I test it - but the ping is really high - this makes playing games terrible. It depends where the other people you are playing with are located. I don't know whether anyone is bothering about the ping when they report these high speeds, but if they are playing games, they should. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NilSS said:

I find all of this pretty absurd actually. Who needs a 1 Gbps connection in their home, really? It's no different from all the nonsense hype around 4G and 5G. Who needs a gagillion gabillion bps on their mobile phone? Ridiculous. You can stream a HD movie for 3 Mbps.

Now, if you're tranferring large volumes of data between offices on fixed lines, then yes, it will help. We don't have any 1 Gbps lines but we achieve those speeds cumulatively. We have a main line from ToT, corporate line with a block of 5 static IPs. It's only 100 Mbps symmetrical but more then enough. The other 3 lines are baseline packages from 3bb, CAT and True. Total bandwidth between them is around 1 Gbps, which we load balance. The major advantage of this arrangement is very robust redundancy.

But really, nobody needs these ridiculous speeds at home, certainly not in 2020. Maybe in the future.

One word. P@@n!

The other point is that your DL speed is only going to be as good as the UL speed from where you are downloading from.

14 hours ago, i84teen said:

Tanks a lot.

it is possible.

--server-id=SERVERID

however ookla cli app only lists nearby servers, I use python version of speedtest-cli on github to get server list I want

speedtest-cli --list | grep Country 

On 5/10/2020 at 9:30 PM, NilSS said:

20 years ago, even 10 years ago, Thailand's WAN capabilities were just laughable

This is not true.
Ive been with 3bb for around 15 years. My original Internet package started at 2mb bandwidth for 590 baht per month with free upgrades over the years 2mb then 4mb 6mb 10mb 20mb 50mb now 1gb.

Visiting Australia occassionally over the years Id be annoyed with their broadband speeds, very poor bandwidth, speeds were shockingly slow.

So basically for as long as domestic broadband internets been available, Thailand has always outperformed Australia.

I never had a dialup connection in Thailand.