Amazing Thailand for the Thais: Is Domestic Tourism a solution?

webfact

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

For domestic tourism to work you have to lift the ban on inter provincial travel unless of course you expect everyone to be a tourist in there own province LOL . TIT .

it is lifted, at least it is around me. In fact, it was never really in place around here ( Rayong/Chon Buri, all the way to Bangkok and east to Koh Chang).  

2 hours ago, NB1986 said:

And where it came from? Did it came from Europe or from CCP... 

And after all you believe that in China died 3000 people, after all they hidden and lied to the world... Chinese should be locked for good they can carry bats and CCP viruses in their own country definetely will not seen them in Europe...and i hope Schengen keeps closed tight at least until end of this year. I can go to holiday to Greece, Spain, France and if Croatia reopens have also beautiful beaches so...i think more wisely to spend money this summer than pay 2000+ euros for return ticket. 

Im with you fella, I love Greece. You might want to try Bulgaria as well, cheap, beautiful beaches, nice food. Only a short flight with better weather and friendly people. Doesn't make any sense to fly for 12 or 13 hours to go to Thailand anymore so you can feel unwelcome, endure dual pricing, poor service, bad roads etc,,,,, I mean what for? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Brunolem said:

There are many well to do Thais...just look how many travel to Japan, a very expensive destination, every year.

These Thais will have to holiday in Thailand for the time being, and their spending power, as well as the one of many expats, is probably much higher than the one of the average Chinese or Hindu coming with a tour.

Of course, domestic tourism will not make up for the big losses from international tourism, but it will keep some businesses alive.

Unfortunately, they are going to reopen just as the rain season starts, which is not the best time to travel around in Thailand.

It's true.  There are plenty of well-off and they love to travel.  They don't travel light and they like to wear a different outfit every day, including different shoes, winter coats, hats, etc., so they look different every day of the trip for their photo shoots.  

They haven't lost their jobs and they aren't going to stay home.  They'll be traveling domestically when it's allowed.  And, I will be doing the same with my partner.  If we can't go somewhere internationally, we will go some places in Thailand, instead.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GAZZPA said:

I fear you may be right. In the same way no "quality, wealthy tourists" visit Pattaya, no wealthy Thai's will either. Its reputation and facilities support a cheap, sex tourist trade nothing more.

I think it was on the slide long before the pandemic, fact is there are better quality holidays (for the same and cheaper) and nowadays there are better and cheaper places for the sex tourist as well.

Totally incorrect.  Plenty of wealthy Thais visit Pattaya.  Plenty of wealthy Thais not only visit Pattaya but have getaway places in Pattaya.  Plenty of wealthy Thais who visit Pattaya are just not, perhaps, where you are.  The greater Pattaya area is really quite large; Walking Street and Soi 6 tiny in comparison--especially to the many who have no interest in either.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, newnative said:

Totally incorrect.  Plenty of wealthy Thais visit Pattaya.  Plenty of wealthy Thais not only visit Pattaya but have getaway places in Pattaya.  Plenty of wealthy Thais who visit Pattaya are just not, perhaps, where you are.  The greater Pattaya area is really quite large; Walking Street and Soi 6 tiny in comparison--especially to the many who have no interest in either.

What utter rubbish. Pattaya is simply not a destination of choice for rich people, full stop. it doesn't have anything to offer the people that can afford anything. The hotels are not good enough, the scenery is not good enough, the restaurants are not good enough, sorry but you are kidding yourself. It is a cheap Charlie tourist destination plagued with the sex trade. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

What utter rubbish. Pattaya is simply not a destination of choice for rich people, full stop. it doesn't have anything to offer the people that can afford anything. The hotels are not good enough, the scenery is not good enough, the restaurants are not good enough, sorry but you are kidding yourself. It is a cheap Charlie tourist destination plagued with the sex trade. 

As I said, they aren't likely where you are hanging out--made more unlikely by your assertion that Pattaya only offers cheap Charlie attractions.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

agree, why would wealthy thai's, or any thais with common sense, choose to holiday in a place over run with foreign sex tourists and prostitutes?!

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, samsensam said:

agree, why would wealthy thai's, or any thais with common sense, choose to holiday in a place over run with foreign sex tourists and prostitutes?!

they wouldn't. Although I am not a rich guy I work in manufacturing consulting factories on entering International markets throughout Asia. I have lived in Hong Kong, China, Taiwan and Thailand and in my career I have met some very rich people (friends with some including a very rich Thai businessman). I have seen where they live, how they live and not they are all a million miles away from what Pattaya has to offer. Of course there may be some exceptions but not many.

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

As I said, they aren't likely where you are hanging out--made more unlikely by your assertion that Pattaya only offers cheap Charlie attractions.  

Where I used to hang out? So where do you hang out with the millionaires in Pattaya? ???? If you want to cling onto your belief that Pattaya is a desirable destination for the elite then you are living in cuckoo land.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, GAZZPA said:

Where I used to hang out? So where do you hang out with the millionaires in Pattaya? ???? If you want to cling onto your belief that Pattaya is a desirable destination for the elite then you are living in cuckoo land.

Well, since I am seeing these wealthy Thais arrive at their getaway condos in those big, luxury vans with their drivers I guess I am in a different area than you are.  Are you even in Pattaya?  Do you ever get out and about to areas besides WS and Soi 6?  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, taninthai said:

I asked my Thai business partner this week.....can we get any Thai groups into our place/resort to bring some money in during low season.....her simple answer.....no Thai people don’t have any money now only money for food not travel.

No, I bet, as soon the interprovincial Travelban finished, Destinations like Pattaya and Cha am/Hua Hin will be floodet by Bangkokians over the Weekends. Phuket and Koh Chang for longer Holidays.

• Like 2

Just now, newnative said:

Well, since I am seeing these wealthy Thais arrive at their getaway condos in those big, luxury vans with their drivers I guess I am in a different area than you are.  Are you even in Pattaya?  Do you ever get out and about to areas besides WS and Soi 6?  

I don't frequent place like walking street, so try again. I am out of Pattaya now and good riddance. I am a very well travelled person both in my career and work life so again try again. Oh and I frequently travelled around in a Toyota Alphard with a driver, that is not the preserve of the rich. There will always be someone with money everywhere, what I am saying to you is that Pattaya is not a destination for the rich people of this world, you won't ever convince me otherwise because I know better, so don't bother trying. If you want to believe that Pattaya is a rich person hot spot then that's up to you.

8 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Most of the people lined up for food are not travelers.

In fact, I bet many work in the tourist service industry.

Believe it or not there are a number of Thais especially in Bangkok who are fairly well off.

Normally 1000's of Bangkok Thais come to Pattaya for the weekend. Eating, drinking, different activities, etc.

Then add the foreigners who live here who travel to different provinces for tourism or other reasons.

Nothing close to international tourists, but the tourists I mentioned do have some impact on the Thai economy.  At least it would be a start and bring back some jobs.

I've worked in Thailand for many years for the top 3 companies listed as by the Government as the rickest --- your statement "Believe it or not there are a number of Thais especially in Bangkok who are fairly well off. ' is very floored... it a precepted weath.. most are literally living on Credit Cards..... 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

i have traveled 36,000 kilometers on my motorcycle all over Thailand.

for the first few days I had to keep checking my GPS because I though I was riding in circles because everywhere I went looked exactly the same. 

I've always said it was the same bloke with a concrete mixer that started at the North and ended in Songkhla when he ran out of gear..... 

The sad fact is you can go round and round in circles praying for a miracle fix to the created tourist nightmare that Thailand is now enjoying, but in the end you'll have to come up with the fact that tourism was built on westerners and it ran just fine until the latest bunch of chancers took over...... Racism and xenophobia are not qualities that nurture tourism, but as we all know, certain " People"  would rather watch the place burn down than admit they were wrong,,,,,,,  and especially the likes of the Health minister and his cronies...... "I'll never apologize to a farang"......   Says it all....... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, newnative said:

What establishments do all the rich Thais frequent in Pattaya?

9 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

The sad fact is you can go round and round in circles praying for a miracle fix to the created tourist nightmare that Thailand is now enjoying, but in the end you'll have to come up with the fact that tourism was built on westerners and it ran just fine until the latest bunch of chancers took over...... Racism and xenophobia are not qualities that nurture tourism, but as we all know, certain " People"  would rather watch the place burn down than admit they were wrong,,,,,,,  and especially the likes of the Health minister and his cronies...... "I'll never apologize to a farang"......   Says it all....... 

I think you hit the nail on the head. Adding extra pressure is the fact that for Europeans there are new and better options on their own doorstep, better weather, friendlier people, cheaper and quicker to go, cheaper to enjoy yourself when there, you can google to see but for me I like Bulgaria. Even when in Asia there are other options, in fact I can think of many options better then Thailand. It is a shame as Thailand used to be the go to place but every dog has it's day. Looks like Thailand will have to work on building some new source of income, they haven't done that for many years so it wont be easy.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, GAZZPA said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. Adding extra pressure is the fact that for Europeans there are new and better options on their own doorstep, better weather, friendlier people, cheaper and quicker to go, cheaper to enjoy yourself when there, you can google to see but for me I like Bulgaria. 

If you like girls with big hands then Bulgaria's the place to go.  

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

If you like girls with big hands then Bulgaria's the place to go.  

Never heard that one before, are Bulgarian women known for having big hands? I don't think so. I went there because it;s a beautiful place to go with friendly people, great beaches and great food, what the women are like says a lot more about you then me I think.

20 hours ago, taninthai said:

I asked my Thai business partner this week.....can we get any Thai groups into our place/resort to bring some money in during low season.....her simple answer.....no Thai people don’t have any money now only money for food not travel.

Exactly. With up to ten million losing their jobs and no vaccine do they really think people have the money and the will to travel anywhere. 

27 minutes ago, Andycoops said:

Exactly. With up to ten million losing their jobs and no vaccine do they really think people have the money and the will to travel anywhere. 

It's the same everywhere, there are going to be no holidays for people for a year or 2. Even when this is all over it will take a long time for people to financially recover. Thailand will just have to start planning some other way to boost the economy. 

11 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Only an hour up the road for me and could do it without any restrictions.

What is it in Nong Khai that makes you want to go so badly, I am sure the bars are all closed.

Maybe I need to have therapy for this, but I seem to have fallen in love with the Mekong, I have been to about 12 Mekong spots already and down to 4,000 Island in Laos for kayaking, waterfalls and Irrawaddy dolphins,  But yes I want the restaurants to be open, too old for bars now and struggle to stay awake. From Nong Khai there is Vientianne and, if there is some water in the river courtesy of the rain and the Chinese dams, a boat trip to Luang Prabang.

• Thanks 1

Thai economics 101. Burn all your bridges. Who in there right mind putts all of the eggs in one basket instead of deversifing. What a bunch of Moran's.

Edited by garyk

2 hours ago, Andycoops said:

Plus I can pretty much guarantee that no country on earth is going to let anyone come home after gallivanting around the world during a pandemic.  

Thailand is amazing for all the wrong reasons.  

18 hours ago, baansgr said:

Supposedly tourism only accounts for 10% of GDP, so it's not really a deal breaker for the economy.....or is that figure really substantially higher.

I imagine that 75% or more of the employed thai's here in Phuket rely on International tourism in one way or another

Take that away and its a real concern