Busted: Police on Koh Samui raid "farang owned" beachside bar - 22 Thai and foreign patrons arrested

webfact

1 minute ago, transam said:

LOS does not have the problems of western EU countries...Its problems are the same as those other countries of this peninsular, mild...

We all share the same problem....Covid-19. Yes SE Asia has been impacted much less but who's to say why? Could be the more stringent measures in Thailand, we just don't know.

5 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually if it's a business registered as a bar then they were breaking the laws from the start as bars are not allowed to open as yet, restaurants are but bars are not, secondly they were selling alcohol which is forbidden anyway ....  so the french man is in deep sh_it 

Some people just don't seem to learn.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

You reckon.........

Yes i do, and that is why such rules have been put into place. 

Maybe you happen to be in a good  position where you are able to pay for good medical treatment if you get sick, maybe you are fit and healthy and happen to be in a good financial position overall. However,  many people are not so fortunate, so we need to do all we can to help protect those most vulnerable people. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Borzandy said:

"selling alcohol which is forbidden anyway " update pls.

Alcohol can only be sold in take away form, consumed in the home and with less than 5 people present - social distancing must be observed there too. 
Sitting down in any cafe, restaurant, or bar and drinking in-house is forbidden under the orders surround congregating under Covid 19 safety health restrictions.

2 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

We all share the same problem....Covid-19. Yes SE Asia has been impacted much less but who's to say why? Could be the more stringent measures in Thailand, we just don't know.

Doubt that, Laos and Cambodia are relatively poor countries, but have a much better record than LOS regarding the bug. It seems vits B2 and D have played a role in the  survival rates...

6 minutes ago, Susco said:

But that is not the point.

You are usually the first to get on your soapbox because Thais don't follow the rules and ignore the laws.

The OP is about people get caught because they ignored emergency laws, not about if those laws are warranted or not

Soap box, really.........????

Just now, transam said:

Doubt that, Laos and Cambodia are relatively poor countries, but have a much better record than LOS regarding the bug. It seems vits B2 and D have played a role in the  survival rates...

You could be right. I put it down to the climate and the Thai custom of retaining their personal space, including not shaking hands. But as i said, we don't really know.

1 hour ago, GAZZPA said:

As I said those attitudes are long gone, you refer to ripped jeans and t shirts as innapropriate dress code for a beach bar in Thailand but actually it is perfectly acceptable, it's called dressing down. Oh and like it or not ripped jeans are fashionable nowadays. Why you think someone dressing down lacks dignity tells me you either don't understand the word or you are horribly snobbish.. ????????

I wear (naturally) distressed jeans and t-shirts for most of my waking hours and in every type of normal daily/nightly activity one can imagine. I meant that getting "dressed up" as to attend a function, such as a visit to a government office, city hall, etc., mens no holes in the jeans and a button up shirt (sometimes it's even clean). Get it? There's "dressing down" and there's looking like meth addicted Walmart trash. If you think wearing jeans and a t-shirt makes me a snob, then so be it. I'm snobbish as all hell. Let me guess, you wear sweatpants and sandals on flights?

• Haha 2

If you are not Thai, you are a guest in this country. If you don't like the rules, and of course no one likes all of the rules, you and vote with your wallet. Go buy a plane ticket and leave. I have traveled to over 70 different countries and live longer and one year in about 6 different countries. Here are some good rules to follow:

1) Never get in a physical confrontation with a local. You will get your ass handed to you by a group whose individuals hate each other until you united tham. 

2) Stay out of local politics.

3) If you don't like the rules or the people or the society and can't adapt remember this... airplanes usually fly in both directions. Just buy a ticket and go someplace else.

For the record, I am not Thai and there are lots of things that I don't like about Thailand but there are many more things that I DO like about Thailand...so, I stay.  

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dararasmi said:

I wear (naturally) distressed jeans and t-shirts for most of my waking hours and in every type of normal daily/nightly activity one can imagine. I meant that getting "dressed up" as to attend a function, such as a visit to a government office, city hall, etc., mens no holes in the jeans and a button up shirt (sometimes it's even clean). Get it? There's "dressing down" and there's looking like meth addicted Walmart trash. If you think wearing jeans and a t-shirt makes me a snob, then so be it. I'm snobbish as all hell. Let me guess, you wear sweatpants and sandals on flights?

I seem to have touched a nerve, I am just teasing you, calm down a bit. 

Unfortunately, no I travel by flight mostly on business so I don't dress in "sweatpants and sandals". However if somebody chooses to do so I don't see any problem with that, it's important to be comfortable, especially on a long haul flight. I am usually met at the airport so I have to be dressed accordingly so I don't really have the option to dress so casually. But my boss (who often flies alone) dresses down almost all the time he travels, I would place a safe bet he has more money then you and I and all our fiends combined so he is certainly not "meth addicted Wallmart trash" as you put it. Oh and yes you are an unbearable snob. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, steven100 said:

selling alcohol from a business registered as bar is not allowed and selling alcohol from a restaurant and consuming it on site is not permitted.  

Unless, like me, you live in Cambodia where there are no such bans, no curfews and freedom of local movement. Face-masks are not mandatory. Great life here!!!! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Burma Bill said:

Unless, like me, you live in Cambodia where there are no such bans, no curfews and freedom of local movement. Face-masks are not mandatory. Great life here!!!! 

well that's good to hear ... I just hope Cambodia have done enough to prevent a severe outbreak of the COVID-19 virus .....   just remembering that some countries like Italy are very slack in enforcement of protective guideline and assurances so others don't catch the virus ... but i'm sure you'll be fine, they have great medical facilities there.

• Haha 1

Samui has been very lucky - hardly any Covid reported and being an island they can lockdown very easily.

however - this kind of over confidence in the situation could open the doors to disaster.

If Samui does het cases of covid te reverse lockdown could e applied - the island could end up a coves hot spot and a pariah -  residents could be locked down on the island whilst the rest of the country relaxes.......

On top of this there ae those running "private" minibus services to BKK and back

• Regular "private" bus runs to BKK and back, 
  • Schools are encouraging pupils to return to the island from all over the country - this month
  • Immigrant workers will e asked back to operate businesses as they re-open
  • The weather is wetter

there is a general misconception that countries with high infection rates have somehow been slack in comparison to Thailand - this is simply not the case - Covid is not a black and white issue, it is far more nuanced than that.....

All this if not handled well could result in a second wave.....all down to an island mentality of smugness.

Edited by Airbagwill
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldie said:

The 2nd picture in the original article describes the situation there better. There is nothing to add anymore. If the police doesn't punish them accordingly then better forget the law. 

Mate, it was forgotten long before we got here.

11 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

However if you DID contract Covid, I don't fancy your chances of top grade healthcare over there - enjoy it whilst you can

45 minutes ago, Phil McCaverty said:

Countries in the tropics/hot countries don't seem to have been affected so badly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Airbagwill said:

However if you DID contract Covid, I don't fancy your chances of top grade healthcare over there - enjoy it whilst you can

Thank you, many of us foreigners and Khmer locals do enjoy life (for many years to come I hope) having freedom to do so rather than draconian lock-downs. Plenty of private hospitals and clinics in Siem Reap "geared up" for covid patients but to my knowledge there are none. I have had my temperature taken on many occasions during the last three months and all within the range 36 to 37. 

Siem Reap Province
Confirmed 
 Recovered 
-
 Deaths
-
image.png.7bbe64ac75e7a7700e5cdba7e0a66a91.pngCambodia
Confirmed  
+0
Recovered  
Deaths
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, White Christmas13 said:

You mean like this one?

More like this:                                                              

image.jpeg.a5470cc6592036deb166b53c2667154d.jpeg 

Here's the one Transam was coveting I think.

image.jpeg.4304321e533f593cbf87445fdd7acdfb.jpeg

Edited by Phil McCaverty

6 hours ago, steven100 said:

actually if it's a business registered as a bar then they were breaking the laws from the start as bars are not allowed to open as yet, restaurants are but bars are not, secondly they were selling alcohol which is forbidden anyway ....  so the french man is in deep sh_it 

Depends on the size of his 'envelope'